The Missing (BBC/Starz)

AncalagonTheBlack

That was an unsettling episode. Episode 6 discussion

The stockholme syndrome and the way Getterick dealt with "sophie" and their child was hard viewing. Their were three girls did the three soldiers have one each living with them? If not then it's tricky to see where Getterick was keeping the others.

Have to admit I had no problem watching Stone take a beating. Even with the Alzheimer's I think he knows exactly what he's doing - it's only the Alzheimer's that lets him slip and say things that implicate him. Horrible for his daughter to have to discover this.

Things aren't looking good for Baptiste. I don't really care for his hallucinations as it's a cheap trick but he's really setting himself up for arrest. It'll be good to see what the wife of the guy in prison knows. It doesn't seem like she knows about the abductions as she seemed to beleive her husband was guilty but she knows about those three soldiers it seems. Although that photo suggest she was mixed in something with them.

I like how intertwined all the characters are as it adds a lot more weight to given scenes where you can understand all the mixed emotions

the young man beating up Stone because he knows he's involved but also because he knows his dad is having an affair with Stone's daughter. Then you wonder how Stone's daughter would react if she knew who comitted the assault

. It's also good to see how characters like the dad weren't always unsympathetic and went through tough moments too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching the season finale.It was tense throughout,great ending with the Baptiste scene.

Spoiler

wow,was the brigadier (Roger Allam) faking his dementia? cause that look in his eyes when his daughter asked him what he'd done!! :o

Poor Baptiste,i hope he recovers otherwise no season 3 haha :D

Great finale - they didn't go to OTT with the final confrontation and loved how they spent so much time on wrapping up the aftermath. I don't think I've shed as many tears in 20 minutes for a while at the end there - a really powerful rollercoaster of highs and lows.

Thing is I now want another season just to get that cliffhanger resolved

Great storytelling using his resistance to the anaesthetic as a way of giving us and Baptiste hope. One of the nicest characters in TV for a long time and brilliantly acted.

8 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Just finished watching the season finale.It was tense throughout,great ending with the Baptiste scene.

Hide contents

wow,was the brigadier (Roger Allam) faking his dementia? cause that look in his eyes when his daughter asked him what he'd done!! :o

Poor Baptiste,i hope he recovers otherwise no season 3 haha :D

I got that feeling too. Great acting by the two actors in that scene. It was all in their eyes and she was onto him. I'm guessing she was taking him to the police rather than home? I don't know - they had a very complicated relationship and while I hated the brigadier at least it turned out he wasn't part of Getterick's sick family and was unaware of it until 2014

I also loved the scene

where the poor butcher was released and he walked away from his wife. Being innocent and your loved ones beleiving your guilty must be something that's impossible to come back from. That with Baptiste's narration on how many lives were destroyed by those missing girls was very powerful

The show is definitely going into my top 3 of the year. I need to think about it a bit more and see how Westworld lands its finale but it's good to see that my favourite shows of the year have all been written and created by british talent (although Nolan is a co-creator on Westworld and probably as much american as english these days) and 2 were BBC shows. "The line of Duty" is my other favourite show of the year.

Just noticed "the missing" creators had a show out earlier in the year called "one of us". I'll have to track it down but was wondering if anyone caught it and could rec?

20 hours ago, red snow said:

Just noticed "the missing" creators had a show out earlier in the year called "one of us". I'll have to track it down but was wondering if anyone caught it and could rec?

I have not seen it yet but they also have a new show coming up on ITV caled Liar.

On season 3:

“Julien? He’s essential!” said Jack Williams. “He’s a calm Gallic presence in the middle of the storm and the chaos. He’s got a stillness to him that we absolutely love. He’s a French Yoda.”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-12-01/the-missing-writers-on-the-series-2-finale-the-french-yoda-and-their-plans-for-series-3

3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I have not seen it yet but they also have a new show coming up on ITV caled Liar.

On season 3:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-12-01/the-missing-writers-on-the-series-2-finale-the-french-yoda-and-their-plans-for-series-3

French Yoda! That's an excellent description.

I'm usually an ITV snob but I will give the first episode of Liar a go when it airs.

Bumping this, just finished Season 1 a couple days ago, 3 episodes into Season 2 now. 

So far, I'm liking this season quite a bit better - they've really ratcheted up the atmosphere and the tension/suspense. And the chick who plays alice/sofie is wonderful. I love how gritty and gaunt they've managed to make her look, very eerie. 

I'm very much reminded of the show Damages; the two timelines, of course, was a hallmark of that show, but the sound effects/cueing is more similar this season as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished season 2 on Monday, and I was shocked at how good it was overall.  I loved season 1, but I think 2 was even better. 

It's amazing how they were able to keep the same quality with turning over nearly the entire cast.  It's not unprecedented (Fargo), but it's definitely worrisome when you go into it knowing that that will happen (True Detective).

28 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I finished season 2 on Monday, and I was shocked at how good it was overall.  I loved season 1, but I think 2 was even better. 

It's amazing how they were able to keep the same quality with turning over nearly the entire cast.  It's not unprecedented (Fargo), but it's definitely worrisome when you go into it knowing that that will happen (True Detective).

Yeah, both seasons are great. I like how they kept the past and present storytelling technique which instantly drew me into the story and raised questions of "how did they geet like this". Other than that it was a very different case and a different group of people - i think the second season had more characters overall?

Although the one thing they did keep was probably the key to the second season working (both seasons actually) and that's Baptiste. Such a great character that you can't help but love.

On 12/15/2016 at 0:47 PM, red snow said:

Yeah, both seasons are great. I like how they kept the past and present storytelling technique which instantly drew me into the story and raised questions of "how did they geet like this". Other than that it was a very different case and a different group of people - i think the second season had more characters overall?

Although the one thing they did keep was probably the key to the second season working (both seasons actually) and that's Baptiste. Such a great character that you can't help but love.

I think I enjoyed Baptiste much more this go round.  I think James Nesbitt just dominated the first season, and he kind of put everybody else in the background.  I did enjoy Tchéky Karyo's performance so much that I looked him up on imdb, and with how few English language credits he has, but he looks like he a force of nature in France (114 total credits).  

Definitely more characters in season 2.  They handled it so well though.  Here's hoping to season 3 :cheers: 

3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I think I enjoyed Baptiste much more this go round.  I think James Nesbitt just dominated the first season, and he kind of put everybody else in the background.  I did enjoy Tchéky Karyo's performance so much that I looked him up on imdb, and with how few English language credits he has, but he looks like he a force of nature in France (114 total credits).  

Definitely more characters in season 2.  They handled it so well though.  Here's hoping to season 3 :cheers: 

Curiously Baptiste did take on some of Nesbitt's character's obsessive qualities this season (I loved how his wife referenced this in season 2) but it was probably a very deliberate move by the writers to keep some of the Nesbitt-factor in the show.

I should try and check out some of the French films he's starred in - with subtitles/

I think season 3 will happen but we may have to wait 2 years for it. The good thing about the show's set up is that they don't need to make one every year to keep actor's on board and the BBC seems to be ok to wait if it means the quality stays high. I'm sure the Starz! funding helps too.

I'm going to be checking out an ITV show for the first time since "broadchurch" when the "missing" creators launch "liar". It sounds like a similar 2 time-frame set up but focused on an affair. It'll be interesting if an affair can match a murder in terms of drama. "One of us" sounds more like "the missing" and is on my xmas list of things to watch.

• 1 year later...

Tchéky Karyo’s Julien Baptiste Secures Spin-Off Of BBC One Crime Drama ‘The Missing’

Tchéky Karyo’s Julien Baptiste, the star of BBC One’s crime drama The Missing, has locked up his own spin-off series with the British public broadcaster. The network has ordered Baptiste from Harry and Jack Williams’ All3Media-backed production company Two Brothers Pictures.

The spin-off follows Baptiste and his wife on a visit to Amsterdam, when the Chief of Police, who happens to be an ex-girlfriend, seeks out his help on a case that takes him from the beautiful streets, canals and houses of Amsterdam to the seamy underworld beneath.

Commissioned by BBC Director of Content Charlotte Moore and BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning Piers Wenger, filming starts later this year in Amsterdam and Belgium.

• 3 months later...

Filming begins on Baptiste, Jessica Raine joins cast

Raine is to play Genevieve in Baptiste, which sees Turkish-born French actor Tchéky Karyo play the eponymous investigator. Tom Hollander also stars, as Edward.

Filming will take place in Antwerp, Ghent, Amsterdam and Deal in Kent.

Karyo, Hollander and Raine are joined by a cast including Alec Secareanu (God’s Own Country), Clare Calbraith (Downton Abbey), Nicholas Woodeson (Taboo), Anastasia Hille (The Missing) and Talisa Garcia (Silent Witness). Local Belgian talent includes Barbara Sarafian, Boris Van Severen, and Martha Canga.

• 5 months later...

Archived