Your LEAST favorite Story Arc in ASOIAF?

OIL, BLOOD, Water

Bran. 

I've done @9 full rereads now, and the only time I read a single Bran chapter was when I first read each book. And even that was painful and I only read them from fear of missing something important. I shouldn't have worried. 

I don't like Bran. I've disliked him since he was a kid flatly disobeying his mother and climbing around Winterfell like it was a bunch of bounce houses. I'm not a fan of utterly defiant children. I can't stand his personality when he's the "prince."

I don't like Meera - boring - and I think Jojen with his nonsense has simply led them all off to death or the infamous fate-worse-than. Hodor gets on my last nerves. The CotF are the least interesting race ever created in fantasy. BR is just freaking absurd, like GRRM is running out of ways to make characters creepy so he decided to make a carnivorous Ent. 

The funny thing is that the entire series so far can be read without a single Bran chapter, without feeling lost or confused about anything. Try it sometime. 

Least favourite overall arc.

Jon.

He is the most boring character to me and never got interested in his arc. It is hard to read his chapters except to know about other interesting characters north of the wall. Also after learning about his parentage, his arc became more predictable and thus more boring. 

Least favorite overall: "Brienne and the Quest for the Magical Page Filler"

Runners up: 

1) Sam and the Endless Voyage of the Fat Pink Mast Trader

2) Meereeneese Groundhog Day featuring Dany

3) The Wacky and Inconsequential Adventures of Tyrion in Essos

I don't even consider characters like Hotah or the Damphair as having an arc or being characters so I'm not counting them

5 hours ago, LadyoftheNorth72 said:

Bran. 

I've done @9 full rereads now, and the only time I read a single Bran chapter was when I first read each book. And even that was painful and I only read them from fear of missing something important. I shouldn't have worried. 

I don't like Bran. I've disliked him since he was a kid flatly disobeying his mother and climbing around Winterfell like it was a bunch of bounce houses. I'm not a fan of utterly defiant children. I can't stand his personality when he's the "prince."

I don't like Meera - boring - and I think Jojen with his nonsense has simply led them all off to death or the infamous fate-worse-than. Hodor gets on my last nerves. The CotF are the least interesting race ever created in fantasy. BR is just freaking absurd, like GRRM is running out of ways to make characters creepy so he decided to make a carnivorous Ent. 

The funny thing is that the entire series so far can be read without a single Bran chapter, without feeling lost or confused about anything. Try it sometime. 

So you have done 9 partial rereads?

6 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

The only POV I had a hard time reading through was Aeron Greyjoy.

Oh god me too.  You can only take so much nonsensical religious zealotry.  His chapters are painfully boring.

I Don't know if we're talking POV arcs or overall storyline arcs, but the most pointless POV is Quentyn "how not to train your dragon" Martell, and IMO the most boring overall storyline is probably the Iron Islands POV's.  Dorne is really boring too but it seems like in the next book it might get better with them.  

3 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

So you have done 9 partial rereads?

I've read through from start to finish, skipping through the Bran POV chapters, nine times now. I began reading the first book for the first time in June 2011, when we were having my youngest child's first birthday party at my in-laws' house and my MIL loaned it to me.

It was propitious timing, since DwD came out the following month. And I just finished ninth reread. I've flipped through and read favorite excerpts independently at times too, or to find the text to help make a point here on the forum. I'm lucky to have all five books in one huge 4,756 page ebook, so searching is easy lol. 

I'm one of those people who are always reading something. The two times I've had Nook issues, I've gotten into my car immediately to go get them fixed/ replaced. My husband loves to fish, so sometimes I think this is the key to our marital success lol. And all my children from 5 to 22 are readers to some extent. 

I bet you're glad you asked, huh? :)

1 minute ago, LadyoftheNorth72 said:

I've read through from start to finish, skipping through the Bran POV chapters, nine times now. I began reading the first book for the first time in June 2011, when we were having my youngest child's first birthday party at my in-laws' house and my MIL loaned it to me.

It was propitious timing, since DwD came out the following month. And I just finished ninth reread. I've flipped through and read favorite excerpts independently at times too, or to find the text to help make a point here on the forum. I'm lucky to have all five books in one huge 4,756 page ebook, so searching is easy lol. 

I'm one of those people who are always reading something. The two times I've had Nook issues, I've gotten into my car immediately to go get them fixed/ replaced. My husband loves to fish, so sometimes I think this is the key to our marital success lol. And all my children from 5 to 22 are readers to some extent. 

I bet you're glad you asked, huh? :)

Yeah, I was being a little smart for no real reason, so I'm sorry for that, but am glad that I asked because I never realised you could get one big ebook like that which would make searching and quoting lots easier so thank you for your answer which showed me more class than I deserved. :D

I actually didn't perceive any snarkiness in your question. Not everyone is as avid a reader. Also, I had a DVT and Pulmonary Embolism in February 2012 which has resulted in a lot of unwilling time off my feet and added to my reading time. But if you'd like suggestions of some series you might like, just to keep you occupied until book 6, you know who to PM lol... and feel free!

7 hours ago, khal drogon said:

Least favourite overall arc.

Jon.

He is the most boring character to me and never got interested in his arc. It is hard to read his chapters except to know about other interesting characters north of the wall. Also after learning about his parentage, his arc became more predictable and thus more boring. 

When did you learn about his parentage? 

The Dornish, with Arianne. Mostly because it tries to tell a lot, but tells so little. In the end, it looks like Doran is stupid, don't share his plans with his family and is simply waiting for his foes to die. What makes it worse is that he is badly diseased, so if he dies unexpectedly, all his supposed plans die with him.

After Jon, mostly because I find the character unpleasant.

Probably Dany in Meeren, especiAlly when she is in bed with Daario, it was disgusti g. This is the worst arc in the entire series.

Tyrion sometimes, when he is in Essos, but not all of his chapters are boring. and Quentyn, Arianne, the prologues, the epilogues, and I have to admit that the first two chapters from brienne in affc were really boring

and Jon, some of his chapters, but not all of them

Samwell.  Ugh, zzzZ .. ZZZzZ  ..zZZz

Early Quentyn traveling chapters.  Boring beta male is boring.

Arianne.  Her nipples are the most interesting thing about her (this is not a compliment).

Bran/Varamyr warging chapters.  If i wanted to read about being an animal I'd go to the zoo.

*The Iroborn story is awesome & therefore many of you have inferior taste ;)

Tyrion's arc was outstanding and concluded nicely when he killed Tywin. Then it suddenly became abysmal.

However, the lowlights are Brine's story, everything with the Iron Islands, everything in Dorne (including Quentyn) and AFFC except for the "Broken Men" monologue. That was profound.

Archived