Your LEAST favorite Story Arc in ASOIAF?

OIL, BLOOD, Water

Quentyn Martell. Most pointless arc ever. Brienne is up there, too.

Personally, i think most of Essos/ Essos related storylines are pure borefest, tbh. I wouldn't be very bothered if it ceased to exist.

Arianne. Her plotline is embarrassingly bad.

Every plotline in Essos, excluding Arya's. I like her so much that even hanging around Essos to no purpose couldn't wreck her for me.

I would have included Brienne, too, but her story is good if read as a novella set in the asoiaf universe.

3 minutes ago, 7-KG said:

Quentyn Martell. Most pointless arc ever. Brienne is up there, too.

Personally, i think most of Essos/ Essos related storylines are pure borefest, tbh. I wouldn't be very bothered if it ceased to exist.

I don't really consider Quentyns a story arc on on it's own. It's just there to link the Dornish to Daenerys and it may not be over yet despite his death.

I did find Briennes PoVs  boring in Feast, but it got very interesting right at the end of Dance.

To me I actually find Brans at the least interesting point currently. I will admit to not knowing exactly where it is going, but it's big weakness is it doesn't actually interact and link with any of the more interesting plots. It may well do so but I hope it isn't just Bran becomes really powerful and knowledgeable and helps stop the others through mystical means. That would be boring for me.

Arya has the same problem. I'm a bit torn here because I really like her character, but just training at the HoBaW has got pretty old for me. The Mercy chapter was pretty awesome, but mainly because it shows she is still Arya and does link to the greater plot a little bit. I hope she leaves asap.

Kings Landing story. It's so boring with the Lannisters still holding power also all the interesting people are gone like Sansa, Olena Tyrell, Tyrion. The struggle for that ugly chair is played out. 

Essos dont care at all. Tho I do still care about Dany and Arya as characters. 

Brienne why does she still exist again? 

Tyrion in ADWD, Dany in ADWD, Quentyn, Brienne in AFFC, Sam in AFFC

Essos could disappear off the map for all I care, sans Braavos

The sad thing is, if you reduced Tyrion's, Dany's and Brienne's number of chapters by about a half to two-thirds, they'd probably be quite nice arcs. If you included the end to those arcs, that is.

Arya in Braavos.

There just doesn't seem to be a point to it.  Unless we find out that the Faceless Men are up to no good and then Arya can move to stop them.  Otherwise her training to be a spy/assassin seems a bit late when most of the major players will likely be dealt with by someone else be the time she finally gets away from there.  And spying on people does not look to be very useful in the fight against the Others or in the aftermath.  At least Dany in Mereen served important character growth for her and now she looks to be on her way to Westeros.  Arya still seems stuck in Braavos pretending to be no one, but not quite giving up on her Stark identity either.  I've never been the biggest fan of Arya so I can't excuse this arc just because she's in it (it's not that I dislike Arya she's just in the bottom half in terms of how I'd rank the Stark children).

Almost everything that happens in Essos. But if I had to pick an overall most boring POV I'd have to go with Quentyn tbh. Dany and Tyrions chapters in ADWD are painful to read but at least they're going somewhere. Quentyns chapters are just an extended Elliot Rodger-esque internal monologue and then getting burned to death.

Jon in aGoT, ACoK and ADWD. Storm his story was more interesting though.

Victarion. Just in general really. 

Theon in a Clash of Kings does nothing for me either. I just don't find anything particulalrly interesting about him, until the wonderfully written Reek/Theon chapters in Dance, and his Clash plot makes me roll my eyes at times at how certain characters act to enable the plot to happen. 

I'm to mention Arya in the Riverlands too. Now, I do like those chapters in their own right. But taken as a whole, her arc seems kind of repetitive (I think that is intentional on GRRMs part, but it doesn't grab me). As I say though, the chapters individually, I do rather enjoy.

Oh, I'm going to seem contrarian here, but Tyrion's arc in KL bores me up until the Mountain vs Oberyn. I actually prefer his Essosi adventures.

Archived