What's it like where you live?

Sivin

Norway

Pros

• Healthcare is "free".
  • All the obvious good stuff like freedom of the press, free elections, low corruption, gender equality etc.
  • Very few will moralize or proselytize re. religion. Few are actively religious.
  • Plenty of spectacular nature for hiking/admiring.
  • Most people will leave you alone most of the time.
  • Bernie Sanders would be considered right of center here. For some that might be a negative.
  • I doubt many would give you shit for being American. Maybe some drunk idiots, maybe, but what can you do.
  • Very safe, violent crime very rare.

Cons

• The weather mostly sucks.
  • While healthcare is "free", the wait for non-critical treatment can often be long.
  • Due to cultural differences, people might seem cold and unfriendly. Goes with the "leave you alone" bit. Give them alcohol, however, and watch them open up. :D 
  • It's a crapshoot, but getting a job without knowing the language might be tricky, esp. now, with a comparatively high unemployment rate.
  • Unless you like rural living, housing prices are shocking.
  • Don't drink or smoke, prices are fucking extortionate. Same with gas. In fact, most prices are extortionate.
  • No large cities. Biggest is Oslo, at 650 000 people. Might be a positive for some. :dunno:
  • Some xenophobia, but mostly by a tiny but vocal minority. Casual racism/sexism/homophobia does occur depressingly often though.
  • ETA: A bit of a nanny state.

You could consider study abroad/exchange programs, as a trial run?

I'm from Switzerland

Pros:

• "free" healthcare
  • nobody cares about religion. Most people are Christians, but don't really go to church unless for, you know, marriages/funerals/babtisings and that sort of stuff
  • most people speak English, especially if they're about 30 or younger
  • there's a couple of mountains and in general some stunning nature
  • excellent public transportation system, especially in the cities
  • you can get from one end of the country to the other in four hours by car or train
  • you won't get lost in the woods for days like in the Blair Witch Project
  • high sallaries, generally a high standard of living
  • direct democracy
  • very clean water
  • you can drink beer when you're 16 years of age
  • low crime rate, you won't get mugged if you walk in a dark alley at night
  • nobody cares about piracy
  • even though there are lots of guns, nobody is ever going to shoot you
  • we're never at war
  • Swiss German is a fun language

Cons:

• you can get from one end of the country to the other in four hours by car or train
  • very high prices for everything, so that's where your sallary goes
  • direct democracy
  • Sepp Blatter, among other notable people to be ashamed of
  • some xenophobia, we'll see how much in 6 days. There's some islamophobia as well, like everywhere else these days. This is mostly true on the countryside, not so much in the cities which are 50% immigrants anyway. I also think there's less of this in the French speaking parts of the country, especially in Geneva
  • our army is a joke

Sivin, seriously, I would consider becoming a mountain man where the only interaction you'd have with other living beings would be bears, wolves, and the occasional moose.  The problem isn't the USA, the problem is people.  There's always going to be assholes that are trying to convert you, take all your money, look down on you, etc., etc.  Of course, there is the downside that the bears and wolves would try to eat you, but personally I would prefer it. 

10 hours ago, Leap said:

I'm not really in a position to measure it, since as a straight white male I haven't experienced any of those things directly. I do feel it would be disingenuous to not mention these things as if they don't happen, which they definitely do. I don't feel as if they are ''rampant'', but again my impression of that is worth just about nothing.

I'd say it depends quite a lot on where exactly you go. Certain areas tend towards social conservatism more than others; I would say I've encountered less of those kind of views in London compared with my hometown in the North East for example. Maybe that's more of a reflection on me though, and I'm just avoiding those groups because there is a much bigger population and I don't know everyone, unlike back home. :) 

4 hours ago, Sivin said:

Well, the point of the exercise was to get an unclouded opinion of the living conditions of peoples' home countries without influencing the answers too much.

Though I suppose a bit of background could be helpful.

1) I don't wanna live in a place where my rights as a citizen are seriously jeopardized by a bunch of morons' interpretation of a book that some dude reads to them once a week.

2) I don't want to sit down in a bar and get a filibuster type speech about the tyranny of ____________ and how ___________ needs MORE ____________ from some dumbass who's second-grade interpretation of U.S. Government apparently makes him qualified to run his stupid fucking mouth. 

So basically, I don't like the perverse saturation of religion in America, and I don't like Americans' tendency to try and convert everyone they see to their way of thinking unasked.

As I grow a little older every year, I find America less and less diverse. It seems to be a 'us' vs 'them' country to me. Half are always nailing themselves to a cross while the other half bemoan their having been nailed to a cross. It's fucking annoying, and literally seeps into every part of life.

Ah yes, I knew I was forgetting a big thing. In Sweden no one cares about religion. Kids are taught about all the major ones in school like any other subject to be studied, with nothing touted as the truth and with the attitude of "you decide what you want to believe, just be nice to other people". The average Swede will celebrate Christmas and Easter, and will get married and baptized in churches but I've never seen religion actually influence anything legally, we cleared gay marriage in 2009 and were the 7th country to do so, and only the Christian Democrats (a relatively small political party) opposed it. Other things such as contraception and abortion I've never heard people complain about on a religious level, and abstinence-only sex-ed would never be taught in the average Swedish school today.

4 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

I honestly think this might be more to do with you than the English.

Maybe, but it was my metric for national rudeness when I was younger.  

Coming from America, the lack of community and required privacy in England became jarring and uncomfortable.  Many from this side of the pond perceive it as down right rude.  

And Luke, if you think people don't want to get into a fight with someone just because they are American, or American Military, you need to look a little deeper at the issue. 

And OP, if you want diversity, you need to move to the middle east, or Canada.  The US ranks above most european nations when it comes to ethnic and cultural diversity. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_ranked_by_ethnic_and_cultural_diversity_level

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/16/a-revealing-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-ethnically-diverse-countries/

11 minutes ago, peterbound said:

And Luke, if you think people don't want to get into a fight with someone just because they are American, or American Military, you need to look a little deeper at the issue. 

American Military might be a different ish, I wouldn't know. Could well see there being a section of people who butt heads with US soldiers stationed in the UK. It would be a very small minority, but I guess that's small consolation when they're getting in your face.

But the average American certainly isn't going to get anything more than a pisstaking, which is what everyone gets. That could lead to a fight if they either don't get it or can't handle it, I guess (as someone who once worked helping foreign kids settle into UK schools, explaining that very little a Brit says is meant to be taken seriously and any insult should be replied to with insults in kind, but not anger, was one of the key parts of my job, and since I moved to Berlin I've had to literally change my speaking habits coz of misunderstandings it caused, and I'm not the only one, this is an actual subject of conversation among the Britishers here I've discovered), but we Brits certainly aren't, as a whole, a naturally aggressive people, towards Americans or anyone else.

I broke the quote function (WTF happened to this site?)

Iskaral, I can assure you I'm not catfishing (that's something people do as a joke right?)

However, there may be some merit to what you're saying. Unfortunately for me I seem to always be consigned to the shittiest parts of America, that's just where the money has been. Alas, with the giving up of my life's goal in pursuit of a life worth living I don't have much incentive to stay in a country that doesn't seem to like me back.

Like I said earlier, I've lived as west as Colorado and I really liked it, but there's nothing for me out there. If I'm gonna abandon all the stuff I know and move 2,000 miles (which I'm cool with), I might as well at least consider a new country to call home if I think it might be a better fit.

Lys, I don't dislike people. Quite the opposite, I'm a very social creature and I've actually always wanted to be an entertainer of some sorts or failing that a teacher. The problem I'm starting to have with people (and I hope this is an American thing, as every non-American seems to assure me) is the willful ignorance. Like I mentioned for those two important points, I don't like religion and I don't like idiotic preachers. Maybe this goes back to where I've been living in the U.S. but it seems like basically everyone I know is secretly one or the other and I keep hearing that not everyone is like that.

I guess what I'm looking for is a place where the following things happen, in general, as I understand that Utopia does not exist:

1) I pay my taxes

2) My rights as a human being (and citizen) are respected by the law at least, regardless of sex, sexuality, race, religion, or preference in television

3) People aren't objectively horrible. There's bastards everywhere, I'd prefer to live in a place where they're generally regarded as the minority

4) There's a generally low chance that I'll get murdered walking to the store

5) Education is seen as a more important issue than making sure faggots don't have civil rights

6) If I'm good at my job, I will get to keep doing it

Again, I know Utopia isn't a real thing, but I think those are the basic requirements (backed up by my own research, not just the word of someone on the internet, though your word is appreciated) I'd need to consider moving out of this country permanently.

Someone mentioned studying abroad. That's an interesting idea, and I've never even thought about it before, but I'm pretty sure I don't have that kind of scratch. I'm gonna be making enough money over the next two years that I can afford to go to school full time even for 4 years easily and still have my G.I. Bill for my pursuit of a masters, but that's at American rates. I shudder to think of how quickly my account would be sucked dry by studying abroad.

6 hours ago, Sivin said:

Though I suppose a bit of background could be helpful.

1) I don't wanna live in a place where my rights as a citizen are seriously jeopardized by a bunch of morons' interpretation of a book that some dude reads to them once a week.

2) I don't want to sit down in a bar and get a filibuster type speech about the tyranny of ____________ and how ___________ needs MORE ____________ from some dumbass who's second-grade interpretation of U.S. Government apparently makes him qualified to run his stupid fucking mouth. 

So basically, I don't like the perverse saturation of religion in America, and I don't like Americans' tendency to try and convert everyone they see to their way of thinking unasked.

For the first point, I think the UK should generally do well overall, religion doesn't tend to have a bit impact on politics and it's generally considered a fairly private thing that people wouldn't usually talk about much. You probably don't want to move to Northern Ireland, though.

For the second point we handily don't have a written constitution so you won't get lectures about it. On the other hand, you'll probably still be able to find people in bars extremely convinced of their political opinions. This may not be the best year to visit if you don't want to get involved in political discussions.

Pros/Cons of where I live:

+ there seem to be plenty of jobs around

+ by British standards the climate is reasonably good, it doesn't rain anywhere near as often as the typical stereotype of England

+ you can get to London in under an hour, so you can visit easily without the extra expense and hassle of living there

+ it's got a fairly cosmopolitan population due to the University and the tech companies

- it's expensive, particularly for accommodation which tends to be in short supply

- the surrounding countryside is pleasant enough but also a bit bland, it's so flat and featureless that the locals think something 10 metres about sea level counts as a hill

Overall, I'd say it's a nice enough place to live but given the choice of anywhere in the world I'm not sure I'd really recommend it.

Before this I lived in Edinburgh. It was a significantly cheaper place to live (although expensive by Scottish standards), it's not a big city but there's plenty to do, there's some spectacular scenery not far away and Scotland is just intrinsically better than England. On the downside the climate really isn't great.

3 hours ago, Sivin said:

The problem I'm starting to have with people (and I hope this is an American thing, as every non-American seems to assure me) is the willful ignorance. Like I mentioned for those two important points, I don't like religion and I don't like idiotic preachers. Maybe this goes back to where I've been living in the U.S. but it seems like basically everyone I know is secretly one or the other and I keep hearing that not everyone is like that.

Dude, I live in the same town as you.  I can tell you that's not the case here.  I now it's hard to get away from the mega church shit, and believe me as an atheist i'm acutely aware of this, but there is so much to this state/town than the shitty fucking part of south colorado springs.  You live on an Army base, no where in the world has a good Army base.  

Move out the Manitou if you want to get far away from that shit, or up to Denver/Boulder/or Ft Collins.  Maybe it's because i'm older and zeroed in on my set of friends (or that I hang out with nothing but savage ass fire fighters), but I never run into the religious shit anymore.  

34 minutes ago, peterbound said:

Dude, I live in the same town as you.  I can tell you that's not the case here.  I now it's hard to get away from the mega church shit, and believe me as an atheist i'm acutely aware of this, but there is so much to this state/town than the shitty fucking part of south colorado springs.  You live on an Army base, no where in the world has a good Army base.  

Move out the Manitou if you want to get far away from that shit, or up to Denver/Boulder/or Ft Collins.  Maybe it's because i'm older and zeroed in on my set of friends (or that I hang out with nothing but savage ass fire fighters), but I never run into the religious shit anymore.  

I haven't lived in Colorado in over a year, I got out last October. Admittedly I didn't mix at all with the civilian populace out there, and we both know the varying degrees of character that can be represented on an Army base. Anyway, I've spent the last year and change living back in Indiana, from which I've now moved to Tennessee (with no intention to ever return to Indiana). I know these are the shittiest parts of the country, and like I said I liked Colorado. But unfortunately moving to a new state doesn't change the fact that the retards in southern Alabama still get a say in my rights as a human being at the federal level.

Furthermore, again, while legal weed is pretty dope there's nothing else in Colorado for me. I like weed, but I don't like it like that, and there's no colleges in the state that appeal to me. Also, no unique career opportunities that appeal to me.

I had lived in Nicaragua and from what you are saying about the Perverse saturation of Religion, I do not recommend this country.

I had lived in Costa Rica and I believe that if you do like the outdoors, then this is the place for you. Costa Rica is beautiful, biodiverse, beautiful beaches, volcanoes, rainforest. The whole deal. No army, no war, I lived in a $170K home and it had a river right outside plus 3 acres to the house which was already big. The 1 US dollar is right now 534 Colones. I highly recommend you at least try it. 

I had lived in Italy, Florence to be exact and although a beautiful country, full with history and iconic cites You might not like it because as stated above Religion is still eminent and it is more expensive lifestyle.

I have visited and lived in many other countries but I believe you should follow zelticgar advise. Research the places you might like and visit them for a week or so and see which one is best suitable for you. At the end though "Home is not where you are born; Home is where all your attempts to escape cease" Naguib Mahfouz                                  Good Luck....Buona Fortuna!!!

9 hours ago, peterbound said:

Maybe, but it was my metric for national rudeness when I was younger.  

Coming from America, the lack of community and required privacy in England became jarring and uncomfortable.  Many from this side of the pond perceive it as down right rude.  

I've been living in different parts of the UK my whole life. I really have no idea what you are talking about. The sense of community where I come from is huge, I have never seen anyone start a fight with someone else because of their nationality. You are making huge generalisations based on your small experience.

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

American Military might be a different ish, I wouldn't know. Could well see there being a section of people who butt heads with US soldiers stationed in the UK. It would be a very small minority, but I guess that's small consolation when they're getting in your face.

But the average American certainly isn't going to get anything more than a pisstaking, which is what everyone gets. That could lead to a fight if they either don't get it or can't handle it, I guess (as someone who once worked helping foreign kids settle into UK schools, explaining that very little a Brit says is meant to be taken seriously and any insult should be replied to with insults in kind, but not anger, was one of the key parts of my job, and since I moved to Berlin I've had to literally change my speaking habits coz of misunderstandings it caused, and I'm not the only one, this is an actual subject of conversation among the Britishers here I've discovered), but we Brits certainly aren't, as a whole, a naturally aggressive people, towards Americans or anyone else.

Nailed it.

22 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:
  • A good deal less racist than our nearest neighbour.

Sigh. Wish I could argue this, but we really seem to be dialling it up to 11 of late. 

That said, I honestly think I live in one of the best cities in the world for someone like me.  There has been an uptick in conservatives, particularly christians, in the media lashing out at LGBTQI people but I'm relatively hopeful it's mostly just a flash in the pan as they fight against the passage of marriage equality.  Legally speaking things are pretty good here, protections are very strong (much much better than the US) and while we don't have marriage equality, I consider all the other protections we do have to be much more important.  The legal situation is also in the process of being improved at the moment, likely within the current state Government term, but if not then likely the one after that.

Sydney has a big and vibrant queer community that I've found welcoming enough for the section that I'm in.  It's geographically a beautiful city, with an excellent climate.  Australia is probably the easiest culture fit for an America without most of the issues that I think you are taking with the US, and there are an awful lot of American's living here. The economy is still relatively robust and if you are good at your job I think you'd get to keep doing what you do without too much drama.  The downsides are Sydney is a fucking expensive city, our state government is in the process of trying to trash the night life, sabotage public transport and are basically treating business like it's the only thing that matters.  Also Australian immigration law is relatively assholish.

I'd possibly tip Stockholm as a better place legally/culturally, but it's also a much bigger change in terms of primarily speaking a different language etc and the climate is...not so nice.  Not sure what other cities I'd say, I think Sydney is definitely top 5 and I don't really rank them at that level.

2 hours ago, ANNALISVETH said:

I had lived in Costa Rica and I believe that if you do like the outdoors, then this is the place for you. Costa Rica is beautiful, biodiverse, beautiful beaches, volcanoes, rainforest. The whole deal. No army, no war, I lived in a $170K home and it had a river right outside plus 3 acres to the house which was already big. The 1 US dollar is right now 534 Colones. I highly recommend you at least try it. 

That sounds awesome. Must visit Costa Rica, have never been there.

I really like your saying though - home is where your attempts to escape cease. Truth is, I like the house I brought, at the coastal end of a railway line, with a beautiful beach just outside. I do not wish to escape it when I am there.

I often work in the city however and that just sucks. Why, in this age of unlimited connectivity, do we even need offices and cities?

Archived