Manhole Eunuchsbane

Logan-First R Rated Wolverine Movie?

260 posts in this topic

Saw that trending yesterday.

I'm not familiar with that particular story.  What's the hook for Logan being Old?  Would the story not be set in the contemporary X-Men timeline?  Does it have to occur far down the road?  (Since Logan didn't even look "old" in DoFP.)  Or is there another reason he's now Old Man Logan?

30 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm not familiar with that particular story.  What's the hook for Logan being Old?  Would the story not be set in the contemporary X-Men timeline?  Does it have to occur far down the road?  (Since Logan didn't even look "old" in DoFP.)  Or is there another reason he's now Old Man Logan?

The answers to all these questions, (AND MORE!) are just a click away......

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

It's kind of a What If? or ElseWorlds sort of a story wherein Heroes as a whole have been soundly defeated and the U.S. is more or less run by supervillians  and the like. Wolvie hasn't aged much physically (given that his healing factor makes him quasi-immortal) he's just kind of mentally and emotionally old. He's sheathed the claws and kind of checked out.

Anyways, the story does not occur in the contemporary X-men or even Marvel timeline. It's basically its' own thing.

Edited by Manhole Eunuchsbane

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So, Mad Max: Wolverine?

Yeah, that's not a bad way to categorize it.  

It wouldn't at all surprise me if Fury Road had more to do with plans to make Old Man Logan than Deadpool did and the money that's made has just meant they're definitely going ahead with it and pushing the hard rating.

So how much of this could possibly tie into that story and how much of it could just be inspired by it?

The X-Men franchise is so convoluted right now.  Hard to know what they are wanting to do post Apocalypse and with Deadpool/X-Force.

They have to include: 

Spoiler

Venom T-Rex

I actually just read Old Man Logan and it is a fun, short read but I can't see them doing much from the actual comic. Seeing an older, R-rated Logan on a cross country trip would be fun though.

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So how much of this could possibly tie into that story and how much of it could just be inspired by it?

The X-Men franchise is so convoluted right now.  Hard to know what they are wanting to do post Apocalypse and with Deadpool/X-Force.

It's going to be a problem from a licensing standpoint in that many of the major characters used are on the Marvel side of the ledger. (Hawkeye and Hulk primarily) I'm guessing they are just planning on borrowing the theme and setting from the comic, as they are not going to be able to use many of the characters. 

Millar's comics always make far better films and I'm guessing this is the studio and Jackman admitting he's getting a bit old for the role. It does mean it will have to be out of continuity though or at least a future the other movies will never actually reach?

I'm guessing Deadpool will be in it (I think he was in the comic anyhow) and I'd probably switch out the Hulk family for the Thing family (probably an easier step going redneck from Grimm than Banner actually). Throw in some of the other FF as well - it's not like they'll be using them in their own films for a while.

Maybe they could use this opportunity to give us a great version of Dr. Doom.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

Now that is a capital idea. Who would you cast? I vote Mads Mikkelsen.

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yes.  Mads trumps all.

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

How they have managed to fuck Doom up twice now(haven't seen the new FF but heard)is nothing short of astonishing really.  

23 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Topher Grace.

Just now, Ramsay Blow said:

How they have managed to fuck Doom up twice now(haven't seen the new FF but heard)is nothing short of astonishing really.  

More fantastic actually.

Never cared for the F4. Don't want them anywhere near a Wolverine movie. 

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Never cared for the F4. Don't want them anywhere near a Wolverine movie. 

Doom transcends the FF. You can pit him against any Marvel character and it just works. As long as they write and cast him well it would be great.

As much as I loved Deadpool, and as stoked as I am for an R rated Wolverine based on this story, I kind of wish Fox would just sell the rights to Wolverine, Magneto, and Doctor Doom to Marvel Studios. This movie would be so much cooler if we could actually see Wolverine fight The Hulk.

Edited by Rcollins

So, after seeing this topic yesterday, I went read the first issue of Old Man Logan last night, and all I can say is... meh. Maybe it gets better in subsequent issues, but there was nothing in that first issue that made me want to keep reading.