Logan-First R Rated Wolverine Movie?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Saw that trending yesterday.

I'm not familiar with that particular story.  What's the hook for Logan being Old?  Would the story not be set in the contemporary X-Men timeline?  Does it have to occur far down the road?  (Since Logan didn't even look "old" in DoFP.)  Or is there another reason he's now Old Man Logan?

30 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm not familiar with that particular story.  What's the hook for Logan being Old?  Would the story not be set in the contemporary X-Men timeline?  Does it have to occur far down the road?  (Since Logan didn't even look "old" in DoFP.)  Or is there another reason he's now Old Man Logan?

The answers to all these questions, (AND MORE!) are just a click away......

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

It's kind of a What If? or ElseWorlds sort of a story wherein Heroes as a whole have been soundly defeated and the U.S. is more or less run by supervillians  and the like. Wolvie hasn't aged much physically (given that his healing factor makes him quasi-immortal) he's just kind of mentally and emotionally old. He's sheathed the claws and kind of checked out.

Anyways, the story does not occur in the contemporary X-men or even Marvel timeline. It's basically its' own thing.

So how much of this could possibly tie into that story and how much of it could just be inspired by it?

The X-Men franchise is so convoluted right now.  Hard to know what they are wanting to do post Apocalypse and with Deadpool/X-Force.

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So how much of this could possibly tie into that story and how much of it could just be inspired by it?

The X-Men franchise is so convoluted right now.  Hard to know what they are wanting to do post Apocalypse and with Deadpool/X-Force.

It's going to be a problem from a licensing standpoint in that many of the major characters used are on the Marvel side of the ledger. (Hawkeye and Hulk primarily) I'm guessing they are just planning on borrowing the theme and setting from the comic, as they are not going to be able to use many of the characters. 

Millar's comics always make far better films and I'm guessing this is the studio and Jackman admitting he's getting a bit old for the role. It does mean it will have to be out of continuity though or at least a future the other movies will never actually reach?

I'm guessing Deadpool will be in it (I think he was in the comic anyhow) and I'd probably switch out the Hulk family for the Thing family (probably an easier step going redneck from Grimm than Banner actually). Throw in some of the other FF as well - it's not like they'll be using them in their own films for a while.

23 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Now that is a capital idea. Who would you cast? I vote Mads Mikkelsen.

Topher Grace.

Just now, Ramsay Blow said:

How they have managed to fuck Doom up twice now(haven't seen the new FF but heard)is nothing short of astonishing really.  

More fantastic actually.

So, after seeing this topic yesterday, I went read the first issue of Old Man Logan last night, and all I can say is... meh. Maybe it gets better in subsequent issues, but there was nothing in that first issue that made me want to keep reading.

They really should consider throwing Doom into an X-men movie. They could have it as Magneto vs Doom (over some ideology) with the X-men caught in the middle. Maybe have Doom using latveria as the comic equivalent of "genosha" with Doom using mutants as slaves.

5 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

So, after seeing this topic yesterday, I went read the first issue of Old Man Logan last night, and all I can say is... meh. Maybe it gets better in subsequent issues, but there was nothing in that first issue that made me want to keep reading.

Keep in mind Mark Millar was their chief creative consultant from the comic side of things so he was probably always leaving copies of his comic runs around for them to adapt. They probably think Old man Logan is the only story outside of Claremont and Weapon X. In fairness it is hard to pinpoint Wolverine story arcs that could be adapted into films.

Archived