Logan-First R Rated Wolverine Movie?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

58 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The Red Band Trailer:

I didn't see anything appreciably different in that one other than the shot you can see in the still.

9 hours ago, Fez said:

So that trailer looks really good (and I've had a soft spot for the X-Men movies even as I've gotten very tired of superhero movies overall), but it completely destroys my understanding of the X-Men timeline.

Is this set back in doomed timeline that ends with the future shown in Days of Future Past or is this in the new timeline set in that movie that continued into Apocalypse? I thought Patrick Stewart's version of Xavier was only in the doomed timeline, but it looks like he's dying in this movie so it can't be set before Days of Future Past (yet the setting of the movie looks like it can't be set after Days of Future Past either). So I guess this is the new timeline, but if that's the case how is Patrick Stewart here and everything looks like its a few years in the future; the other timeline hasn't gotten out of the 1980s yet.

It's... just best not to think about the timeline. :)

Trailer looks pretty good. Hopefully, this will be the one Wolverine movie to not fall completely apart in the final act.

3 hours ago, Durckad said:

It's... just best not to think about the timeline. :)

Trailer looks pretty good. Hopefully, this will be the one Wolverine movie to not fall completely apart in the final act.

Hopefully no voltron style reaver amalgamation for him to fight!

The trailer looks good but I'm so wary of the Wolverine films - especially when it's with the same director. While the Jonny Cash version of "hurt" is always a welcome listen the PTB should have maybe thought a bit more about the lyrics in the context of the wolverine films "I will let you down, I will make you hurt"

I also like how they are trying to maintain a surprise of the most obvious secret character ever for anyone with a passing knowledge of the comics. I will say the character has been incredibly well cast though.

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

Hopefully no voltron style reaver amalgamation for him to fight!

Dammit, red snow! Don't give them any ideas!

And thanks, Black Bear for the recap. :thumbsup:

I agree that the trailer looks really good and we have been burned before with Wolverine films.  I really do like the feel and hope this a great coda for Jackman's Wolverine and possibly Stewart's Prof. X.

I know he had been several films and it is time in the end.  I am really going miss Jackman as Wolverine which I, personally, never got tired of.  I do hope they are able to send him off right.

Yeah, I have a soft spot for the X-men Universe as well. And I really loved Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. I will be sad to see him go. I do like the look and feel of this new film. Hopefully they can pull off a good solo-outing for once. So far, the only thing I liked about the Wolverine solo films was the fact that Liev Schreiber was good in the first one. 

Confirming what everyone knew, she is definitely X-23.

Trailer based speculation:

Spoiler

Logan is defending himself from some spikes that look a lot like claws. Picture. The article this is taken from, Article, Thinks they belong to X-23. But there are clearly six claws in total, Laura only has two on each hand. Also the claws come in pairs with a third one a little bit further away. They look to me more like Daken's claws to me. Picture.

On 24/10/2016 at 1:00 AM, The BlackBear said:

Confirming what everyone knew, she is definitely X-23.

Trailer based speculation:

Hide contents

Logan is defending himself from some spikes that look a lot like claws. Picture. The article this is taken from, Article, Thinks they belong to X-23. But there are clearly six claws in total, Laura only has two on each hand. Also the claws come in pairs with a third one a little bit further away. They look to me more like Daken's claws to me. Picture.

That would be a good secret on top of a secret. I wonder if

Mr Sinister has been making lots of wolverine clones

I'm getting a bit of a Mad Max vibe off the trailer. I'd be happy if only 50% of that speculation was met!

Deadpool 2 losing the director is a bit of a blow. Although I could understand why he might not be happy with the Cable Casting either. Always feel like it should be someone older but I guess age is a bit fluid in movies anyhow.

EDIT. Turns out it was Reynolds who didn't like Miller's choice for Cable. I'm with Reynolds on this one.

8 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Pierce and the Reavers? Okay, that's awesome as shit. 

Handled well they'll make good antagonists. Pierce is so driven by hate and if this setting is one in which mutants are essentially extinct he will be passionately tracking down the girl.

Although several of us fear what could happen in the third act with them all being cyborgs. I don't think anyone wants old dude in giant samurai armour again.

I half expect the movie will end with Kitty Pride showing up having randomly acquired even better time travel powers so she can zap X-23 back into the 90's for some reason. 

But with this franchise there's an equal chance she'll just show up in the next main X-Men film as the new Wolverine with no explanation whatsoever. 

37 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I half expect the movie will end with Kitty Pride showing up having randomly acquired even better time travel powers so she can zap X-23 back into the 90's for some reason. 

But with this franchise there's an equal chance she'll just show up in the next main X-Men film as the new Wolverine with no explanation whatsoever. 

Sinister has often time travelled, so if they're desperate to get her back to the main timeline it's possible. I'm not sure they do want to though. I don't want Wolverine and I don't want anyone coming in as a replacement for him, at least not for a while.

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Sinister has often time travelled, so if they're desperate to get her back to the main timeline it's possible. I'm not sure they do want to though. I don't want Wolverine and I don't want anyone coming in as a replacement for him, at least not for a while.

There was a rumor a while back they planned to replace Jackman with X-23. I mean it makes sense long term, provided they nail the casting. Nobody was going to be able to live up to Jackman as the traditional Wolverine. 

Watching the trailer a second time, the thing that strikes me the most is the seemingly random placement of the "20th Century Fox presents" card just as the song really intensifies. Like someone was hoping we'd subconsciously love the studio after this. 

By the way was that a new version of the cover? I've only heard the barebones version where I'm pretty sure it's just Cash and a guitar. 

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

There was a rumor a while back they planned to replace Jackman with X-23. I mean it makes sense long term, provided they nail the casting. Nobody was going to be able to live up to Jackman as the traditional Wolverine. 

Watching the trailer a second time, the thing that strikes me the most is the seemingly random placement of the "20th Century Fox presents" card just as the song really intensifies. Like someone was hoping we'd subconsciously love the studio after this. 

By the way was that a new version of the cover? I've only heard the barebones version where I'm pretty sure it's just Cash and a guitar. 

Well she did replace him in the comics, so it's not totally out of the blue. I'm just hoping they're ready to focus on non-wolverine x-men.

Watching it back, the plain white on black very brief thing puts me in mind of something. Like the way films that have won Film Festivals put that into the trailers.

I'm pretty sure the extra sounds are just added by the guys making the trailer.

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

This is my main head-scratcher with the possibility of X-23 replacing Wolverine in the films. She really could do with being in the current time-frame. Although I've no idea when the next X-men film will actually be set. Considering it's 16 years old and has a timeline spanning nearly 60 years it's a bit of mess in terms of the most recognised characters. If they ever do a contemporary X-men film Storm, Cyclops etc are all going to be in their 40s or older. Xavier in his 80s.

I guess the "New mutants" could address this but at some point I think Fox just has to say "sliding timeline" like they do in the comics and keep the original x-men in their 30-40 range without having to justify the continuity. Like you say the movies sort of have that attitude anyway.

12 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

The solo films have been the cause of most of his over-exposure but I guess that has to happen in a solo film. Looking at the main films Xavier and Magneto have had the most exposure and time spent on them and Xavier is even crashing Wolverine's films. Wolverine was barely in first class or Apocalypse (lucky him for the latter). I guess Wolverine has that Johnny Depp (usually with Tim Burton directing) issue of his presence tends to warp the entire film around him so everyone else feels like a secondary character. This doesn't really happen with Xavier and Magneto despite the excellent actors they have playing them - the characters themselves just aren't as popular.

Tying in to what I said earlier the franchise maybe does need to rest several characters eg Wolverine, Xavier, Magneto and Mystique just so there's some more screentime for other mutants rather than them being cameos. The team at the end of Apocalypse (and the uniforms) made me want to give the new versions of cyclops and co a chance though. Just drop Mystique as team leader.

It wasn't just the Wolverine solo films though.  The original X-men movie was all about finding Wolverine and figuring out why Magneto wanted him... and then at the last second it was really Rogue he wanted.  X2 was more balanced, no surprise that its regarded as one of the best comic book films ever.  X3 again was all about Wolverine and how best to mess up everything about the X-men universe as possible.  Then you move into the solo era, where I don't disagree.  If its your movie, you need to be the focus.  He has a great cameo in First Class that was just perfect.  Then they bring him back as the central character of DoFP.

Everything about the X-men cinematic universe revolves around Jackman as Wolverine.  Its hard to argue with considering how good he is and the fact that many of the comics went through the same problem for a long stretch of years.

You might assume he's the main character in DoFP, but it's really Charles. Wolverine is simply the catalyst for his arc.

13 hours ago, red snow said:

This is my main head-scratcher with the possibility of X-23 replacing Wolverine in the films. She really could do with being in the current time-frame. Although I've no idea when the next X-men film will actually be set. Considering it's 16 years old and has a timeline spanning nearly 60 years it's a bit of mess in terms of the most recognised characters. If they ever do a contemporary X-men film Storm, Cyclops etc are all going to be in their 40s or older. Xavier in his 80s.

Bear in mind the comics old man logan was an alternate timeline, so they could just say this is an alternate timeline and that it's a different X-23, she is a clone after all. Or even that she was cloned twice at different times.

Archived