LugaJetboyGirl-irra

Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance v. 3.0

323 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Spaßvogel said:

Random question:  Does anyone know when the next Pax Arcana novel is due?  Unless I was looking in the wrong place, his website hasn't been updated since 2014 and he hasn't tweeted since 2016. 

I thought the last one was the final book. 

On 2/5/2018 at 3:18 AM, ants said:

I thought the last one was the final book. 

I certainly didn't get that impression when I'd finished it.  Hmm. 

I've finished the five book series "Lockwood & Co".  Not bad.  The key protagonists are young teenagers, but its not written like young adult.  There is some disconnect between teenagers and adults, but that may be deliberate on the part of the authour given that the worldview you're seeing from is a childs.  

It is set in a world where 50 years ago ghosts started appearing in the UK.  The ghosts kill anyone they touch, and only children can see them.  This has led to significant changes in English society, with children returning to a working class and adults being vulnerable to ghosts.  The main protagonists are an agency where the kids are running everything themselves, going out and clearing ghosts out of properties for money.  The books have both individual cases (often a few), with a key case or issue at the heart of each book.  There is a well defined over-arching narrative that is resolved across the course of the series.  

Overall the series is a lot of fun and strong storytelling.  And, its nice to pick up a 5 book series that is finished!

On 1/22/2018 at 7:13 AM, LugaJetboyGirl-irra said:

I read Slouch Witch (the lazy girl's guide to magic). The main character is a super talented witch who just wants to chill out at her house, watch movies with her cat. She has no ambition beyond her current job, which is driving a cab. But the magical order's Arcane Branch wants her to actually do work for them, despite that she has no interest in actually getting up in the morning. It was cute and funny, and I would recommend it if you are looking for some fluff.

I read Slouch Witch on your recommendation, and really enjoyed it.  The twist on the last page was a cracker.  I've since read the second and third books.  The second one was also strong, the third one suffered from a lot of WTF moments, where the main characters became obsessed with their own greatness (i.e. they didn't get any help in some circumstances that were crying out for it).  But it was still fun.  

Edited by ants