LugaJetboyGirl-irra

Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance v. 3.0

308 posts in this topic

I feel like I'm discussing the different types of Reggae music, which in the end is all still reggae, but I think this kind of thing is interesting, if only to help pinpoint what it is about the different sci-fi and fantasy novels I enjoy the most.

Well, we should also make a distinction between the elements of the genre and the publishing category, which to me seem to be where the real confusion lies.

On 2/26/2016 at 9:12 PM, lady narcissa said:

Oh I really have the opposite view of this.  Ancient Rome has always seemed incredibly urban to me.  More so than some contemporary cities.  (Certainly more so than cities such as Louisville and Kansas City!)  I teach a Land Use class at my law school and in my first lecture of the semester I always go back to Ancient Rome and the laws they enacted to regulate the build environment regarding use, density, and height to show how they faced similar issues with their cities as we do today and how our laws are very similar to theirs.

I guess all the things I take as being part of an urban environment existed back then.  You have a large amount of people - one million at the height of the Empire in Rome itself - living in close quarters with resulting density and infrastructure issues.  They had apartment houses that were multi storied and housing shortages along with soaring rents.  There were fast food places where meals could be purchased and bakeries.  There was street crime, traffic issues, noise from your neighbors, and pollution.  There were building inspectors, police, health officials, and fire wardens.  There was a downtown area with the government buildings, markets, religious buildings, and law courts.  They had entertainment arenas that could hold up to 250,000 people.  I've read some fiction books set in Ancient Rome and they all felt incredibly urban to me in a familiar way.  Similarly the scenes in HBO's Rome series set in Rome gave this impression.

Damn, now I want to read some urban fantasy set in Rome...

Your description of ancient Rome sounds so good, I want some urban fantasy set in Rome too!  Anybody know of any?

Getting back to some urban fantasy, Craig Schaefer released a Daniel Faust novella, The White Gold Score, for free on his blog until late Sunday night.  The link can be found here.

Its set between books 1 and 2, and is pretty great, so I'd check it out before it goes live on Amazon and you have to pay for it.

Never mind.

Edited by beniowa

I'm looking for a new book.  I'm desperate.  I finished "Ghost Gifts" and was nonplussed... the angsty romance part of the book really annoyed me.  Well, the dialogue was hard to read too.  I skimmed eventually just to finish it.  Please feel free to recommend your favorite UF before I go re-read stuff yet again!!  Preferably something not depressing ;)

Also, I found this lol https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25724282-city-of-boneheads

Edited by Mandy

Have you read Lukyanenko's "Night Watch"? (Not sure how well known these are in the anglosphere.) I only read the first but there are 5 or so and they were among the most succesful books ever in Russia.

Oh, I saw the movies - I did like those.  Thanks!  I got some recommendations from people on Facebook too, so I got lots of ideas!!

My Urban Fantasy experience is very limited so far. If The Craft Seqence counts then read those omg right now go, but other than that, uh Peter Grant I like, Benighted I liked, Dresden I hate. I have yet to really try out more. But I want to.

Speaking of books with Ghost in the title, I really liked 'Girl with the Ghost Eyes.' It's set in San Francisco at the turn of the last century. The 'girl' is actually in her 20s and is a young widow and a Daoist priestess. It's gotten good reviews and I myself am very eager for the next book.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

My Urban Fantasy experience is very limited so far. If The Craft Seqence counts then read those omg right now go, but other than that, uh Peter Grant I like, Benighted I liked, Dresden I hate. I have yet to really try out more. But I want to.

Dude,put these on your TBR pile ASAP! :)

Felix Castor series by Mike Carey

Daniel Blackland series by Greg Van Eekhout

Matthew Swift series by Kate Griffin

Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston

Twenty Palaces series by Harry Connolly

Eric Carter series by Stephen Blackmoore

Shadow Police series by Paul Cornell

Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey

Most of those are on my list actually, but as I have a physical TBR pile of 400+ books I'm trying to not start new series. (It's not working).

6 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Most of those are on my list actually, but as I have a physical TBR pile of 400+ books I'm trying to not start new series. (It's not working).

Well, most of the one's listed in my post are complete ,only the Blackmoore,Cornell and Kadrey are still ongoing.So just start with any of the finished series.Some really good stuff in that list ,i guarantee it.:D

43 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The upcoming Eric Carter book got pushed back, sadly.

I'd also check out the Pax Arcana series by Elliot James.

And dear lord, that is one sausage fest of a recommended books list.

27 minutes ago, Mars447 said:

And dear lord, that is one sausage fest of a recommended books list.

Yeah well,unfortunately most of my favourite female authors worth recommending write either SF and/or epic fantasy! :P

I read one of the "Craft": Three parts dead. Good, but not great, IMO.  Is this considered one of the better or weaker ones? It's considerably better than Rivers of London, though.. Aaronovitch has great ideas (some stolen, but who doesn't) and decent characters but needs a co-author to tighten plots (and a spell and language checker as well).

The first Lukyanenko was also not much more than good (I think there's something lost in translation) but fairly original and with a considerably different "Russian" (or more precisely 1990s postcommunist broken down Moscow) atmosphere. It does not read like a recent American rom-com or thriller with witches and vampires.

Well, our views on Peter Grant do not align, obviously, but I found three parts dead to be stronger than its sequel, two serpents rise, but I thought both Pale in comparison to full fathom five, the best in the series, so far, as I have yet to read book four.