Who will Bran kill?

Quarkissnyder

In the first chapter of GOT, Eddard says to Bran, "One day, Bran, you will be Robb's bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother and your king, and justice will fall to  you [to kill someone].  When that day comes, you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away."

On a related topic, has GRRM traveled so far from his original vision for the story that even if this was once a prophecy it no longer is?

2 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Should post the whole passage, it's about not executing as much as execution.

Who he will not kill is Theon and Jaime.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/112721-jaime-bran-and-the-final-judgement/

Who he will kill Bloodraven.

I agree with this one.  Bloodraven is the most likely, after he discovers what Bloodraven is really doing.

1 hour ago, Ser Hyle said:

What is Bloodraven really doing?

There are two possibilities.  One is that, as Chrisdaw says, Bran will not tolerate Bloodraven's methods, even if his goals are good.  Blood sacrifice, for example.

The other is that Bloodraven's goals are not good.  There is abundant textual evidence suggesting that Bloodraven and Melisandre are opposed.  Who is fighting for a goal that Bran would agree with?  I don't think that's clear at this point.  

Why Bran would have to kill anyone in particular? He could help some people, resulting in the death of other people. But I don't see him more directly involved, than by summoning freezing storms and snowfall, possibly killing bunch of poorly protected soldiers on exposed terrain. But killing one specific person, by direct action, I don't see it.

That quote will never come true. This or the talk that Ned gives to Arya about her becoming a Lady. These are the idealistic versions of Stark kids if Ned had his head intact but that changed. Now the Stark kids have taken different paths and never going to become these versions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2016 at 1:58 PM, Quarkissnyder said:

In the first chapter of GOT, Eddard says to Bran, "One day, Bran, you will be Robb's bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother and your king, and justice will fall to  you [to kill someone].  When that day comes, you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away."

On a related topic, has GRRM traveled so far from his original vision for the story that even if this was once a prophecy it no longer is?

In a reread years ago, I “revised” this very passage you have singled out, and I thought I would share it with you for kicks and giggles.  I, too, saw Ned’s words to his son as having relevance for the role Bran seems destined to fulfill in his future:

“One day, Bran, you will be a greenseer, sitting a weirwood throne of your own for the old gods of the North, and justice will belong to you.  When that day comes, you must take no vengeance for personal reasons, but neither must you shirk your duties as part of the godhood.  A god who hides behind the face of a weirwood tree soon forgets what death is.”

I also observed an irony regarding Jaime’s fate that “seems” somehow connected to what the Kingslayer did to Bran:

While a guest of Lord Eddard Stark and a knight in King Robert’s kingsguard, Ser Jaime Lannister secretly meets with his sister Cersei in an abandoned tower, where they make love.  In the throes of passion, Cersei catches sight of a child hanging outside the tower window. Bran’s fingers slip, and Jaime rescues Bran, ordering him to “TAKE MY HAND!”  Bran desperately latches onto Jaime’s forearm and presses down so hard that he leaves welts.  Bran’s fear  is palpable. Regardless, a moment later, Jaime shoves Bran off the window sill, saying, “The things I do for love” (85).

It is karmic, ironic, and a matter of “poetic justice” that Jaime forfeits the very thing he orders Bran Stark to TAKE, his hand, his “sword” hand, the symbol of a knight’s power, the deliverer of death to a Targaryen king, the means by which Bran falls.  “Taking” Jaime’s hand is a fate worse than death because without his sword hand, Jaime is a “cripple”.  When Tyrion tells Jaime that Bran is going to live even with a broken neck and shattered legs, Jaime says,  “. . .he will be a cripple.  Worse than a cripple.  A grotesque.  Give me a good, clean death” (91). 

It is unlikely the gods will oblige Jaime’s wishes; after all, dying is easy – “living” is hard.  Since Jaime robs Bran of his future dreams, the forces that are the old gods, or that serve as agents of the old gods, will make sure that Jaime’s fate matches or  exceeds the intensity of Bran’s suffering. 

On 2/24/2016 at 1:58 PM, Quarkissnyder said:

Arya.  Bran will witness the abomination that she has become.  He won't be able to look away from her crimes.  He will have to pass judgment and save the family honor, or what's left of it, and execute Arya.

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:47 PM, BalerionTheCat said:

Why Bran would have to kill anyone in particular? He could help some people, resulting in the death of other people. But I don't see him more directly involved, than by summoning freezing storms and snowfall, possibly killing bunch of poorly protected soldiers on exposed terrain. But killing one specific person, by direct action, I don't see it.

In his vision they bring to the tree a prisoner or sacrifice for the purpose of execution or perhaps judgement.

Spoiler

In the Theon chapter Asha says to give Theon to the Northern gods, to give him to the tree.

Pretty soon the North are going to be dragging people to the Wierwoods, and if the tree were to whisper death or mercy, or perform some other form of communication, the Northerners are going to adhere to that decision.

It makes perfect sense that historically the greenseers would have been used to judge those accused, given that they can see all and so would be fit to know one's guilt or innocence.

In a reread years ago, I “revised” this very passage you have singled out, and I thought I would share it with you for kicks and giggles.  I, too, saw Ned’s words to his son as having relevance for the role Bran seems destined to fulfill in his future:

“One day, Bran, you will be a greenseer, sitting a weirwood throne of your own for the old gods of the North, and justice will belong to you.  When that day comes, you must take no vengeance for personal reasons, but neither must you shirk your duties as part of the godhood.  A god who hides behind the face of a weirwood tree soon forgets what death is.”

I also observed an irony regarding Jaime’s fate that “seems” somehow connected to what the Kingslayer did to Bran:

While a guest of Lord Eddard Stark and a knight in King Robert’s kingsguard, Ser Jaime Lannister secretly meets with his sister Cersei in an abandoned tower, where they make love.  In the throes of passion, Cersei catches sight of a child hanging outside the tower window. Bran’s fingers slip, and Jaime rescues Bran, ordering him to “TAKE MY HAND!”  Bran desperately latches onto Jaime’s forearm and presses down so hard that he leaves welts.  Bran’s fear  is palpable. Regardless, a moment later, Jaime shoves Bran off the window sill, saying, “The things I do for love” (85).

It is karmic, ironic, and a matter of “poetic justice” that Jaime forfeits the very thing he orders Bran Stark to TAKE, his hand, his “sword” hand, the symbol of a knight’s power, the deliverer of death to a Targaryen king, the means by which Bran falls.  “Taking” Jaime’s hand is a fate worse than death because without his sword hand, Jaime is a “cripple”.  When Tyrion tells Jaime that Bran is going to live even with a broken neck and shattered legs, Jaime says,  “. . .he will be a cripple.  Worse than a cripple.  A grotesque.  Give me a good, clean death” (91). 

It is unlikely the gods will oblige Jaime’s wishes; after all, dying is easy – “living” is hard.  Since Jaime robs Bran of his future dreams, the forces that are the old gods, or that serve as agents of the old gods, will make sure that Jaime’s fate matches or  exceeds the intensity of Bran’s suffering. 

That's a nice observation about the poetic justice of Jaime's fate. I've thought about another kind of poetic justice for him (but just plain injustice for Tommen) if he becomes Kingmaker for Jon. If this happens the way I think it will, it will mean he sacrifices his own son by denouncing him as king and dividing the kingsguard, thereby leaving him an open target for his enemies.

Archived