When did Bran stop fearing the heart tree?

LiveFirstDieLater

I am sure I am not alone in the feeling that all is not what it seems when it comes to Bran's tale...

but for this thread I just have 2 quotes and a simple question...

from Game, before the fall:

He raced across the godswood, taking the long way around to avoid the pool where the heart tree grew. The heart tree had always frightened him; treesought not have eyes, Bran thought, or leaves that looked like hands. His wolf came sprinting at his heels. "You stay here," he told him at the base of the sentinel tree near the armory wall. "Lie down. That's right. Now stay."
The wolf did as he was told. Bran scratched him behind the ears, then turned away, jumped, grabbed a low branch, and pulled himself up. He was halfway up the tree, moving easily from limb to limb, when the wolf got to his feet and began to howl.

From Clash, after the fall:

Hodor knew Bran's favorite place, so he took him to the edge of the pool beneath the great spread of the heart tree, where Lord Eddard used to kneel to pray. Ripples were running across the surface of the water when they arrived, making the reflection of the weirwood shimmer and dance. There was no wind, though. For an instant Bran was baffled.

Ok so when did Bran go from being afraid of the Tree to it being his favorite place? 

Did I miss something? 

It would be easy to dismiss as a simple mistake, like the horse gender situation... But I'm not convinced it isn't important.

Maybe I should have pointed out why I care as well...

It seems to me that Bran's story is very much about fear and bravery...

the only time a man can be brave is when he is afraid... Ned's wise words...

But then there is the Night's King who was a man who knew no fear, and that was the fault in him, for all men must know fear... Old Nan's wise words

Bran isn't afraid of climbing, but it turns out he probably should have been...

Then during his falling dream there is a veritable roller coaster of fear for Bran... 

He also gave his seed to the three eyed crow (unclear to me if he can still reproduce after the fall)...

And if Bloodraven wasn't creepy enough he tell Bran not to fear the dark...

So did he lose his fear with the fall, or did the three eyed crow take it away like the memory of Jaime, or is it what Bran saw I the heart of winter?

or is it just a dumb little inconsistency?

I think Bran thinks to himself he's no longer afraid of the heart tree anymore in the chapter when he talks with Osha about the gods speaking to him with the rustling of the leaves in aGoT. He goes out to pray before the heart tree to ask the gods to keep his brother safe.

ETA the quote:

Summer lapped at the water and settled down at Bran's side. He rubbed the wolf under the jaw, and for a moment boy and beast both felt at peace. Bran had always liked the godswood, even before, but of late he found himself drawn to it more and more. Even the heart tree no longer scared him the way it used to. The deep red eyes carved into the pale trunk still watched him, yet somehow he took comfort from that now. The gods were looking over him, he told himself; the old gods, gods of the Starks and the First Men and the children of the forest, his father's gods. He felt safe in their sight, and the deep silence of the trees helped him think. Bran had been thinking a lot since his fall; thinking, and dreaming, and talking with the gods.  (aGoT, Bran VI)

So, Bran loses his fear because of real life experience and feeling as if he communicates with the gods, dreams about them. Children (and teens) fear monsters when they have a sheltered life where nothing goes wrong. It's through experience of real life more mundane horrors (in Bran's case: the fall, the wildlings taking him hostage in the wolfswood) that the fear of of monstrous trees become childish. His green dreams are what make him feel comfort with it even.

59 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I think Bran thinks to himself he's no longer afraid of the heart tree anymore in the chapter when he talks with Osha about the gods speaking to him with the rustling of the leaves in aGoT. He goes out to pray before the heart tree to ask the gods to keep his brother safe.

ETA the quote:

So, Bran loses his fear because of real life experience and feeling as if he communicates with the gods, dreams about them. Children (and teens) fear monsters when they have a sheltered life where nothing goes wrong. It's through experience of real life more mundane horrors (in Bran's case: the fall, the wildlings taking him hostage in the wolfswood) that the fear of of monstrous trees become childish. His green dreams are what make him feel comfort with it even.

Great answer, thank you!

On 24/2/2016 at 10:54 PM, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Maybe I should have pointed out why I care as well...

It seems to me that Bran's story is very much about fear and bravery...

the only time a man can be brave is when he is afraid... Ned's wise words...

But then there is the Night's King who was a man who knew no fear, and that was the fault in him, for all men must know fear... Old Nan's wise words

Bran isn't afraid of climbing, but it turns out he probably should have been...

Then during his falling dream there is a veritable roller coaster of fear for Bran... 

He also gave his seed to the three eyed crow (unclear to me if he can still reproduce after the fall)...

And if Bloodraven wasn't creepy enough he tell Bran not to fear the dark...

So did he lose his fear with the fall, or did the three eyed crow take it away like the memory of Jaime, or is it what Bran saw I the heart of winter?

or is it just a dumb little inconsistency?

I also agree that Fear, bravery (which can be summarised in two words: duty vs. rebelliousness) is what Bran's characterisation is about.

What do you mean by he gave his seed to the 3EC? I dn't understand it

I don't think that he lost his fear with the fall; on the contrary, after it he was feeling more fear and he responded with anger and confusion. Apart from that, I'm not so sure if what Bran saw when falling (dreaming?) was the reason why the memory of Jaime faded away or, instead, was Bloodraven who caused it. If it was the latter, I'd like to know why. To make him go to him? 

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

1.I also agree that Fear, bravery (which can be summarised in two words: duty vs. rebelliousness) is what Bran's characterisation is about.

2.What do you mean by he gave his seed to the 3EC? I dn't understand it

3.I don't think that he lost his fear with the fall; on the contrary, after it he was feeling more fear and he responded with anger and confusion. Apart from that, I'm not so sure if what Bran saw when falling (dreaming?) was the reason why the memory of Jaime faded away or, instead, was Bloodraven who caused it. If it was the latter, I'd like to know why. To make him go to him? 

1. I'm not sure that fear and bravery can be equated to duty and rebelliousness (Aemon says love is the death of duty, duty and honor tending to be more of Jon's struggle), but one has to start somewhere

2. I mean the corn seeds in the dream... and I'm still unclear if Bran can have kids after his fall.  The Night's King was said to have given his seed to his corpse bride. It seems to be a theme throughout the series of seed being one of the possible sacrifices to preform magic (along with blood, burning, and death). From the Night King, to Craster, to Melisandre's shadow babies, even Dany's womb could be possibly be seen as part of a sacrifice. Not to mention Mormont's Raven always going on about corn, and Vary's cutting story... 

3. In general I think Bran was, understandably, angry and confused after his fall. But there is a clear change in his attitude towards the Heart Tree in Winterfell. As sweetsunray nicely quoted above, Bran's opinion of the tree clearly and admittedly changes after his fall. He also gives a reasonable explanation for why. One of the many questions I'm still asking about Bran's falling dream is that in the dream when the three eyed crow pecks him he seems to lose his fear of something. The Jaime memory, then the when he needs to fly, then finally as he wakes. Bran also sees the Heart Tree looking at him in the dream. I'm not convinced Blood Raven is the three eyed crow. But either way there seem to be two distinct entities in his dream.

31 minutes ago, b00gieman said:

When he puts together everything that he has asked, seen and heard.  

http://howthegameofthronesends.blogspot.com/2016/02/bran-cave-and-children-of-forest.html

Get that Wheel of Time garbage out of here... Horrible series, and a terrible analysis.

Archived