Your top 5 ASOIAF character names

James Steller

1. Asha Greyjoy

2. Rolland Storm, the bastard of Nightsong !

2. Shiera Seastar

3-4.  Cotter Pyke and Denys Mallister (together)

5. Beric is a really nice name, but Dondarrion sounds stupid and no one can  spell it right (how they even got that name if the founder of the house was a commoner?)

1. Stannis Baratheon.

2. Tywin Lannister.

3. Eddard Stark.

4. Melisandre.

5. Petyr Baelish.

Honorable mentions:

- Cotter Pyke.

- Arya Stark.

- Euron Greyjoy.

- Barristan Selmy.

23 hours ago, TOM of the North said:

1. Xaro Xhoan Daxos

2. Kraznys mo Nakloz

3. Grazdan zo Galare

4. Paezhar zo Myraq

5. Oznak zo Pahl

I salute you for highlighting the many imaginative names in Slaver's Bay! :thumbsup:

Just too many x's, z's, q's and r's for me, sorry.:unsure:

OK, my top names as to what they sound/look like - nothing to do what I think of the character.

1.Beric Dondarrion

2.Tycho Nestoris

3. Alys Karstark

4. Ilyn Payne

5. Eddison Tollet

Other names I really like, in no particular order: Alliser Thorne, Yohn Royce, Davos Seaworth, Cersei Lannister, Edmure Tully, Sansa Stark, Daario Naharis, Oberyn Martell, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Tormund Giantsbane, Ramsay Bolton, Salladhor Saan, Jon Snow, Galazza Galare, Gregor Clegane, Cotter Pyke.

Two that don't have last names but I really like the names: Melisandre and Qyburn.

Bonus feature: my favourite place names!

1. Valyria (no place name comes even close!)

2. The Reach

3. Andalos

4. Tarth

5. The Rills

Oberyn Martell (Oberon, king of fairies meets Charles Martel, very cool)

Sandor Clegane (a beautiful first name, and love the sound of the last name)

Arya and Sansa Stark (musical, beautiful first names+the stark last name as contrast)

Jaqen H'ghar

"The Others," great descriptor. Why are they "the other"?

53 minutes ago, kimim said:

"The Others," great descriptor. Why are they "the other"?

I think that's pretty obvious. Us vs. Them. We're the ones, they're the others. Not like us.

This is how people think in our universe. The people in power use this and "other" their opponets or scapegoats, make them "the others", not quite human, so things can be done to them you wouldn't do to a human being, and the insecure ones want to associate/identify with the powers that be, not the others (who might oppose the powers that be).

The most notable example in modern history is how the Nazis othered the Jews and several other demographics, and had a tacit agreement to... get rid of them, them damn others. A more recent and milder example is how UK mainstream media (including the BBC) "other" Scots. Not only the independence-minded who rocked the boat but also the "good" UK-union-minded ones. They're all grieveous Scots, other than the right sort (which is English establishment sort. Lands, titles, Eton, Oxford, some political stuff before a seat in the unelected House of Lords, invitations to the Queen's garden or shooting parties... You get the idea.)

Now, in ASOIAF, the Others really are something other, they aren't human. To any Westerosi person, highborn or low, humans are still "us". Something non-human really is the other. The Others.

The conflict. Us vs. Them. I want to learn more about the Others. What is their culture? What do they think? What makes them tick? Can humans understand such a foreign intelligence? The only Other I, as a reader, have any connection with is Puddles. I can't help but think that if you're supposed to be the ultimate scary badass ice-zombie warrior, getting stabbed and puddled by Samwell bloody Tarly is a real let-down. A humiliation. :-D

The Others aren't mindless ice-zombies. I'm looking forward to learning more about their intelligence and culture.

I'll still want humans to win, mind. OK, so call me a racist! Or a speciesist! Or whatever! I want the humans to beat the non-humans, OK?!!

On 2/26/2016 at 0:21 PM, talvikorppi said:

The Others aren't mindless ice-zombies. I'm looking forward to learning more about their intelligence and culture

ita that the term "other," implies that dismissing "them" as simple evil is a mistake, one reason I like the fact that Martin applies it to the Walkers. So long as they're the "other," there's hope that they'll be something deeper than the icy big bad.

Archived