SkylerWhite

What will happend in the minutes after „For the Watch?“

105 posts in this topic

 We remember. Wun-Wun killed one of the Queen's Man and Jon gets stabbed by his brothers.

Wun-Wun “liked” Jon a a little. Might Wun-Wun kill Bowen Marsh and the other brothers? Jon's last thought was how strong Wun-Wun is.

And what will Tormund and his folk do? The wildlings are Jon’s army at this point of the story. My thoughts: Wun-Wun killed Bowen Marsh and the Crows around him. The Queens Man will fight against Wun-Wun with the Nightwatch. Torumund’s an Jon’s wildling army will fight together with Wun-Wun against the Queen's Men and the Nightwatch.

In the aftermath the greater part of the Nights Watch will be dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marsh & co. will be  overwhelmed by the free folk and NW brothers loyal to Jon. Mayhem ensues. If, and that's a big if, the NW endures, it will be a completely different organisation. Different from what it had been the last hundreds of years (or more). But much, much closer to what it was originally, both in regards to having a vast majority of First Men, but also in terms of purpose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much depends on how much support Bowen Marsh & Co. have.  If they have significant support, then it could get very messy.  If, as I believe, their support is very limited (I noticed there were no rangers among them) then they will probably be killed or arrested and someone loyal to Jon (such as Edd Tollett) will become temporary LC.  I have serious doubts that Marsh has enough support to actually take over.  The rangers, at least, appear to be loyal to Jon, and I suspect the other groups are at worst neutral.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bemused brought up in another topic the probability that representatives from several of the other castles would have been at Castle Black for the planning and assignment distributions related to Hardhome at the time of Jon's stabbing.    There may be many more people than we are aware of in house.   I expect mayhem and more chaos, death and destruction and a possible Wildling command take over.   That doesn't necessarily mean fuel for the chaos fire.   The Wildlings have been assimilating into a collective community for years prior to taking up residence at the Wall and under Jon Snow's protection.   Good leaders have been chosen to oversee their further assimilation into the NW of sorts.   Wun Wun was supposed to be removed from the excitement and calmed in the minutes immediately preceding the stabbing.  I think the outcome has a lot to do with Jon's actual state of being--if he's dead it will go more to mayhem, if he's not I think his commands and plans may still be honored.   There can't be but maybe 50 NW brothers left at this point (at CB) and 4 of them will be killed or imprisoned immediately.  The Queen's Men are really the wildcard here.    Will they attempt to exert authority?   Will they attempt a coup in light of their own man being killed by Wun Wun?  Is everyone just sick and tired of the sacred tree burning red witch and mustachioed queen?  Terrified of the little princess with greyscale?  Is this the perfect opportunity to get rid of the intruders?   We've only seen a very few Wildling leaders and there may be someone other than Tormund or even Val to lead the Wildlings in their new chapters.  The Reaper is still running amuck, too.  A warg (and his boar) is actually right there in the thick of everything.  Regardless the actual events, this will be the turning point for the Nights Watch as well as Jon Snow.  I'll be paying close attention to what that raven says the minute the door is opened.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 25, 2016 at 8:43 PM, SkylerWhite said:

 We remember. Wun-Wun killed one of the Queen's Man and Jon gets stabbed by his brothers.

Wun-Wun “liked” Jon a a little. Might Wun-Wun kill Bowen Marsh and the other brothers? Jon's last thought was how strong Wun-Wun is.

And what will Tormund and his folk do? The wildlings are Jon’s army at this point of the story. My thoughts: Wun-Wun killed Bowen Marsh and the Crows around him. The Queens Man will fight against Wun-Wun with the Nightwatch. Torumund’s an Jon’s wildling army will fight together with Wun-Wun against the Queen's Men and the Nightwatch.

In the aftermath the greater part of the Nights Watch will be dead.

What is not clear at the moment is how soon the wildlings will know what happened. I believe most are still in the hall are they not? It is vaguely possible there might be time for the mutineers to disguise their treachery.

Assuming the wildlings do find out immediately though, you really have to be amazed by the stupidity of the mutiny. The watch stewards and builders are no match for the thousands of wildlings, even if they are supported by the queen's men (which they probably will be).

Also add in Mel's early departure from the mess hall. She left because she knew what was about to happen. She had warned Jon about it previously. So I am very curious to find out where she went and what she did. Release Ghost? Make some kind of protective magic in her room so Jon "smokes" rather than dying (like Victarion. The description of Jon's wound made this seem possible)? Mel's role in all of this is a really big wildcard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very possible that no one else notices the assassination and the faceless crows blend into the chaotic crowds and then into the night. 

"Ice, I see, and daggers in the dark. Blood frozen red and hard, and naked as steel. It was very cold."

"Enemies all around him, daggers in the dark."

1. It is a dark night and possibly still snowing hard.

2. Jon is surrounded by the crow conspirators in their bulky black crow attire.

3. Four quick stabs "For the watch. For the watch." would take no more than 10-15 seconds.

4. They deliberately slashed his throat at the very beginning of the attack, so that he could not call out.

5. The Queens men are focused intently on the 20 foot giant going ape sh*t. Some have their swords drawn, adrenaline pumping and ready to fight.

6. The Wildings are also roused and might jump in to defend Wun Wun if he is further attacked.

7. Even if a non-conspirator witnesses Jon's murder, he/she is unlikely to draw attention from the main attraction/distraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 28, 2016 at 2:54 AM, Hippocras said:

Also add in Mel's early departure from the mess hall. She left because she knew what was about to happen. She had warned Jon about it previously. So I am very curious to find out where she went and what she did. Release Ghost? Make some kind of protective magic in her room so Jon "smokes" rather than dying (like Victarion. The description of Jon's wound made this seem possible)? Mel's role in all of this is a really big wildcard.

Unlikely that Mel knew exactly when Jon would be murdered. If she did, she could have easily prevented it. Since she did not, she told Jon to keep Ghost close... which he failed to do on that night.

Mel departs the mess hall about the same time as Yarwyck and Marsh. All probably immediately realized Jon's short-sighted and extremely mortal mistake near the end of his speech. Earlier Mel said to Jon: "You wanted a way to save your little sister and still hold fast to the honor that means so much to you, to the vows you swore before your wooden god." Hence, she would have realized that Jon just unwittingly sentenced himself to death (Idiot! You know nothing Jon Snow.).

Why did she leave the mess hall? Mel probably just learned of Stannis's death for the first time from Jon's speech. Even if she did not believe it to be true, she would still need to re-consult the flames.

If the flames show it to be true, she will be devastated. But, then she will be able to fully recognize the real importance of Snow from her previous visions.

With Stannis out of the way, she will be more likely to sacrifice Shireen to the flames in order to save Snow hence betraying Stannis's wishes but being true to R'hllor. Note that earlier Val saw death in Shireen... Clearly foreshadowing. Also note that Justin Massey will soon arrive at the Wall. This sets him up in complete conflict with Mel because of Stannis's last instructions to him concerning Shireen.

Note that at first Mel tries to sacrifice Mance Rayder's baby but that obviously fails because it is actually Craster's baby.

As for Patchface, Shireen's death might turn him into the "dangerous creature" Mel sees of him in the flames and he kills Queen Selyse for betraying Shireen. Or maybe Queen Selyse commits suicide and Mel's vision of skulls around Patchface is just foreshadowing the death of Stannis and his family.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by MLR
Correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because Martin alludes so much to Shakespeare's tragedy Julius Caesar in regards to Jon Snow's stabbing, I take a page from the Bard as a clue to what will transpire.

After Caesar falls, confusion and disorganization among the conspirators reigns.  They had strategically planned every detail up to and including the stabbing, yet they planned for naught once great Caesar fell at the base of Pompey's statue.

Taking advantage of the conspirators' weakness, wily Marc Antony begs for safe passage to meet with these men - all of whom stoop to dip their hands in Caesar's blood, a symbolic ritual of anointing themselves with the sacred blood of a fallen monarch. Antony "pretends" to be friends with these murderers in order to ask for a boon:  Antony wishes to speak at Caesar's funeral.

Brutus, before discussing Antony's request with his fellow conspirators, gives him permission to speak AFTER, Brutus speaks,  

Antony agrees, and he even shakes their hands still wet with Caesar's blood.  The conspirators depart, leaving Antony alone with the dead body of his noble friend - and Antony delivers a soliloquy that denounces the butchers who shed Caesar's costly blood. Antony pomises vengeance - all of Rome will pay for the actions of these eight men.

Brutus speaks to the unruly crowd,  offering reasons for Caesar's death - but Brutusis not such a good orator.  He's dry and boring.  The crowd yawns, but they cheer for Brutus, buying all that he says about Caesar's ambition to wear a crown and rule all of Italy save Rome.

Now, when Antony speaks, he is fiery and emotional, and he brings props, immediately shocking the crowd when he carries out the bloody body of Caesar whom he places front and center to enrage the crowd.

Anywho, to make a long story short, I think similar confusion will take place at the Wall.  Tormund Giantsbane will ask Bowen and companyy for permission to say words at the Lord Crow's funeral, and permission will be granted because Bowen and company underestimates the wildlings just as Brutus underestimates Antony.

 Martin imakes many allusions to JC that parallel JS, Caesar “dies” at the halfway point in the tragedy, yet his ‘ghost’ lives on in Act IV and the Act V. to haunt Brutus.  What does this mean for JS? – will his ‘Ghost’/’ghost’ live on after him, seeking revenge? 

Perhaps many of you have heard the expression "Great Caesar's Ghost!"  HAR!  Twill be "Jon Snow's Ghost"!

Some scholars contend that Marc Antony is symbolically possessed by the “spirit” of Caesar  after he shakes the bloody hands of the conspirators.  Will JS’s spirit possess another to exact revenge?

Antony’s funeral oration turns a crowd ready to accept Brutus’ reasonable explanation for killing Caesar into a ‘foaming at the mouth’, vapid mob ready to burn the houses of the conspirators with the torches lit from Caesar’s funeral pyre. 

With much crowd manipulation and exaggerated emotional responses - Tormund will arouse the crowd to mutiny and rage - the wildlings and perhaps others will join Tormund to march on Winterfell.

I actually composed Tormund Giantsbane's oration over Jon Snow following line for line the poetic oration Antony delivers.

I am sure everyone wants to read it!  Har!  I'll find it and post it so that all of you can avoid reading it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking Val will make it down the stairs to help Wun-Wun dismember some more of the Queen's Guard.

It's not like she could have avoided hearing all the hullabaloo downstairs.

Whether she gets down there in time to see Snow getting Caesar'ed might influence who she goes after as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The death of Julius Caesar immediately created a power vacuum and yet there was no immediate blood bath.

Here is the immediate power structure at Castle Black. There are three main factions: 

1. Night's Watch - small in number and no clear leader with Snow's death (including new Wilding recruits)

2. Queen Selyse's forces - also small in number and low in quality (Stannis took the best soldiers with him)

3. Wildings - large number including women and children (some have joined the Night's Watch)

A quick analysis shows that Tormund Giantsbane is now the big swinging d*ck at Castle Black, assuming he can control the Wildings. Jon Snow decided to recruit Tormund for two reasons. Tormund appears to have a good chance of leading the wildings and Tormund was someone Jon felt was reasonable enough to deal with. Hence, there is unlikely to be a bloodbath at Castle Black immediately following Jon's death. Calmer heads will likely prevail.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MLR said:

The death of Julius Caesar immediately created a power vacuum and yet there was no immediate blood bath.

Here is the immediate power structure at Castle Black. There are three main factions: 

1. Night's Watch - small in number and no clear leader with Snow's death (including new Wilding recruits)

2. Queen Selyse's forces - also small in number and low in quality (Stannis took the best soldiers with him)

3. Wildings - large number including women and children (some have joined the Night's Watch)

A quick analysis shows that Tormund Giantsbane is now the big swinging d*ck at Castle Black, assuming he can control the Wildings. Jon Snow decided to recruit Tormund for two reasons. Tormund appears to have a good chance of leading the wildings and Tormund was someone Jon felt was reasonable enough to deal with. Hence, there is unlikely to be a bloodbath at Castle Black immediately following Jon's death. Calmer heads will likely prevail.

 

 

 

 

I don't think calm is going to be restored any time soon.

You've got a wounded and scared and angry Wun-Wun.

He's a little smaller than King Kong, but Westeros is fresh out of biplanes with machine guns, so he's not going to be neutralized immediately.  He's the kind of guy who can literally rip off your arm and beat you over the head with it--or just rip off your head.

You've got Queen's Guard who just saw what he did to Ser Hornypants.  He'll probably use the body like a mace to beat down anyone who attacks him, but those idiots probably will anyway.

 

And as I indicated before, Val is probably going to get in on the fighting, although we don't know if she'll side with Wun-Wun, or if she got downstairs in time to see what happened to Jon and maybe might go after those who attacked him.

In all the confusion of who's attacking who for what reason (QGs go after Wun-Wun, Wildlings defend, Night's Watch sees Val attack Jon's attackers, but don't know Jon was attacked, et cetera), this is likely to turn into one massive clusterbleep.

 

Jon is likely far from the last who will lose blood, or worse, this day.

Edited by unitron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unitron said:

And as I indicated before, Val is probably going to get in on the fighting, although we don't know if she'll side with Wun-Wun, or if she got downstairs in time to see what happened to Jon and maybe might go after those who attacked him.

In all the confusion of who's attacking who for what reason (QGs go after Wun-Wun, Wildlings defend, Night's Watch sees Val attack Jon's attackers, but don't know Jon was attacked, et cetera), this is likely to turn into one massive clusterbleep.

Jon is likely far from the last who will lose blood, or worse, this day.

Not sure how good of a fighter Val is. Did she even do anything during the Stannis vs. Wilding Battle?

Sure there might be a few more casualties before things die down. Maybe Tormund will blow a horn to reign in the Wildlings. Or maybe the someone in the Night's Watch will do likewise. Or Mel could throw some powder to blind everyone temporarily.

Ultimately, if everyone kills each other... who is going to fight the Others? It just doesn't make sense in the grand scheme of the story. Also, Mel is always able to foresee danger to herself. None of her visions ever showed her a clusterbleep... except the one with dead things in the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For an alternate view..
Once again, we have been played by our devious author (probably to our eventual delight).

1. Someone will have set Ghost free, either purposely, or accidentally. There are many possible candidates - Mel herself, or Devan (mentioned early in the chapter) might be sent by Mel, while she searches for a vision of Stannis; Satin, who would have business in Jon's quarters (if he has not been done in or detained by the conspirators), or Dryn (conspicuous by his absence), who was to serve as Jon's page, and could also have reason to be in Jon's quarters (or could possibly be sent by Val - Toregg may not have been her only visitor); long shot - Cregan Karstark (definitely unintentional do-gooder). GRRM made much of Cregan being moved to a place where an anti-Jon sympathiser could have easily freed him.... and much earlier, Mance pointed out to Jon just how easy it would be to climb in his window (something Mance never had any intention of doing). Cregan might have had thoughts of lying in wait for Jon, or merely of arming himself from the armory. (If so, goodbye, Cregan.)

2. Jon's wounds are not as serious as we have been misled to believe. With supporting strength drawn from Ghost, although wounded, Jon will get up from the ground in a fury, and rip Longclaw from it's scabbard. (See sparring match with Iron Emmett, and ripping the Weeper's spear from the frozen ground.)

The "Ides of Marsh" parallels to the death of Caesar have been delicious, but this is where they end. There will be no occasion for a Marc Antony type speech.

3. Yarwyck and his builders (with the exception of Alf of Runnymudd) were not in on the assassination plans, and will not act in support of Bowen (reprising Othell's actions at the choosing), perhaps even preventing Alf from participating. (Bowen and Thorne would not have trusted Othell with their plans, after he let them down before.)

4. The wildlings will have been alerted. Again, many possible candidates.. Young Dryn, or someone leaving the shieldhall (Toregg? Morna?) to report events to Val, or someone simply looking to see if the ale was on it's way ... ;)

5. The Queen's men are more likely to take up defensive positions at the King's Tower (see Selyse's wildling fears and deployment of her men early in the chapter). Each of her knights is out for himself, and unlikely to want to avenge Ser Patrek.There has been no discernible sense of brotherhood between them.

If I'm right about Jon (see 2.) then ...

6. Support for Jon will unite many factions quickly. Rangers have always supported him, builders have been neutral, but no more. Bowen has been the only one we've seen to accuse Jon of "treason" (and the accusation is no doubt as moot for the NW as it is for us) but Bowen's treason is obvious for all to see.. even some stewards seem to have always supported Jon, and those on the fence will quickly climb down (I would guess on the safe side, and there's safety in numbers)

6a. Any lingering "green boy" doubts the Flint and Norrey might have had will be allayed, once and for all.

6b. Nothing could ease tensions and doubts between the NW, wildlings and northmen more quickly than seeing each other standing together in support of the same man / cause.

7 hours ago, MLR said:

Not sure how good of a fighter Val is. Did she even do anything during the Stannis vs. Wilding Battle?

Sure there might be a few more casualties before things die down. Maybe Tormund will blow a horn to reign in the Wildlings. Or maybe the someone in the Night's Watch will do likewise. Or Mel could throw some powder to blind everyone temporarily.

Ultimately, if everyone kills each other... who is going to fight the Others? It just doesn't make sense in the grand scheme of the story. Also, Mel is always able to foresee danger to herself. None of her visions ever showed her a clusterbleep... except the one with dead things in the water.

Val is not a spearwife nor a healer (Morna is both).. but I think she is a particular kind of seer and spiritual leader among her people.

I agree there will likely be some casualties, but not  serious decimation.(In my view, resulting in cohesion.) As you say, the others are coming, and before that, (I think) Ramsay and probably the Weeper. I think Jon's talents will be needed in all three scenarios.

Re: Mel's visions.. As I think has already been mentioned, Patchface might be a danger specifically to Mel, if / when she or Selyse burn Shireen. But so far, she seems to only have seen him as generally dangerous. she's not as adept at interpreting her visions as she would like to think.

Edited by bemused

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bemused said:

If I'm right about Jon (see 2.) then ...

6. Support for Jon will unite many factions quickly. Rangers have always supported him, builders have been neutral, but no more. Bowen has been the only one we've seen to accuse Jon of "treason" (and the accusation is no doubt as moot for the NW as it is for us) but Bowen's treason is obvious for all to see.. even some stewards seem to have always supported Jon, and those on the fence will quickly climb down (I would guess on the safe side, and there's safety in numbers)

6a. Any lingering "green boy" doubts the Flint and Norrey might have had will be allayed, once and for all.

6b. Nothing could ease tensions and doubts between the NW, wildlings and northmen more quickly than seeing each other standing together in support of the same man / cause.

 

Wow, extremely detailed analysis! I think you covered all the realistic avenues... of course GRRM can always throw in completely unpredictable magical elements.

Yes, ultimately this event need to bring the factions together rather than tear them apart! The Battle of the Bastards is going to happen and Jon needs as many Wildlings as he can get. He also needs to be able to return to the Night's Watch afterwards to fight the Others. Finally, he needs Melisandre. I have the feeling that the Stannis story-arc was just a way to introduce Mel, i.e. Mel is actually the central character to that arc and Stannis was always the supporting character (albeit well-disguised). Anyway, in conclusion Jon needs all three factions for the battles ahead.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2016 at 4:25 PM, bemused said:

For an alternate view..
Once again, we have been played by our devious author (probably to our eventual delight).

 

2. Jon's wounds are not as serious as we have been misled to believe. With supporting strength drawn from Ghost, although wounded, Jon will get up from the ground in a fury, and rip Longclaw from it's scabbard. (See sparring match with Iron Emmett, and ripping the Weeper's spear from the frozen ground.)

The "Ides of Marsh" parallels to the death of Caesar have been delicious, but this is where they end. There will be no occasion for a Marc Antony type speech.

 

I kind of think that Jon's wounds are extremely serious, I don't think GRRM would actually do such a fake-out scenario, I sincerely doubt that he walks away from this and joins the fight immediately after, that kind of feels like easy way out and wishful thinking.

At the end of ADWD, its obvious that he looses consciousness, and I am pretty sure that at very least he will lapse into coma for several NW-related POVs, whether at his bed or in cold storage, at worst he is actually dead - like heart-stopped dead. 

It would be safe to presume, that in the immediate aftermath of stabbing, Jon will not be actively involved, if he wargs Ghost - he might be involved as Ghost but not as Jon Snow. Whatever happens - actual fight, speeches, factions, Jon will be not be personally involved to rally the troops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Masha said:

I kind of think that Jon's wounds are extremely serious, I don't think GRRM would actually do such a fake-out scenario, I sincerely doubt that he walks away from this and joins the fight immediately after, that kind of feels like easy way out and wishful thinking.

At the end of ADWD, its obvious that he looses consciousness, and I am pretty sure that at very least he will lapse into coma for several NW-related POVs, whether at his bed or in cold storage, at worst he is actually dead - like heart-stopped dead. 

It would be safe to presume, that in the immediate aftermath of stabbing, Jon will not be actively involved, if he wargs Ghost - he might be involved as Ghost but not as Jon Snow. Whatever happens - actual fight, speeches, factions, Jon will be not be personally involved to rally the troops

Of course you're entitled to your opinion and interpretations, as are we all.. Fake-out is a pretty dismissive term (for me, it has a sort of cheap,"gotcha!" feel to it), so It's not one I'd use.... I'll draw your attention to the chapters where it seemed the Hound killed Arya , and the one where it seemed the Hound would die when Arya left him (among others).. misleading, for sure , but not what I'd call fake-outs.

The trouble with the assassination scene (and why there's still so much discussion about it) is that when you take a second or third look, very little is actually obvious. GRRM has used his words very carefully so that they could mean one thing or another, every step of the way, following Wick's attack.

I said it was an alternate view (my considered view, which happens to be alternate. I'm not just playing devil's advocate), but what it is definitely not is wishful thinking. It's all based on clues in the text. It's not by accident that GRRM has written in Jon's episodes of a fighting frenzy, or of unnatural strength when angered. This might not be the place where GRRM makes it more obvious, or important, but I'm sure he will at some point, because he's already laid the groundwork for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another possibility.

Chaos is beginning to break out - then a horn is heard from beyond the Wall.

One blast. Ranger returning.

Benjen Stark, accompanying Bran & Co. Order is restored by the KitN, Brandon the Greenseer.

Bowen Marsh (House Marsh sigil - 10 green frogs on gold) demands trial by combat. His demand is granted. He is defeated (and Jon is avenged) by Bran's champion, Meera "The Frogslayer" Reed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bemused said:

Of course you're entitled to your opinion and interpretations, as are we all.. Fake-out is a pretty dismissive term (for me, it has a sort of cheap,"gotcha!" feel to it), so It's not one I'd use.... I'll draw your attention to the chapters where it seemed the Hound killed Arya , and the one where it seemed the Hound would die when Arya left him (among others).. misleading, for sure , but not what I'd call fake-outs.

The trouble with the assassination scene (and why there's still so much discussion about it) is that when you take a second or third look, very little is actually obvious. GRRM has used his words very carefully so that they could mean one thing or another, every step of the way, following Wick's attack.

I said it was an alternate view (my considered view, which happens to be alternate. I'm not just playing devil's advocate), but what it is definitely not is wishful thinking. It's all based on clues in the text. It's not by accident that GRRM has written in Jon's episodes of a fighting frenzy, or of unnatural strength when angered. This might not be the place where GRRM makes it more obvious, or important, but I'm sure he will at some point, because he's already laid the groundwork for it.

Frankly speaking, if GRRM does go this way - that Jon's wounds is not REALLY serious and he is able to get up immediately and join the fight, this will feel to me, personally, as a "gotcha" moment. Do forgive me for doubling down on this. But after all noise starting from the time of ADWD release and especially after all "Jon is REALLY dead" and "dead is dead" from the show for the whole last year, if in the books it ends up being an easily survivable wound, I would be extremely disappointed and it will feel like a cheap fake out to me . (And not just show, since GRRM maintained the whole mystique of Jon is dead/deadly wounds by playing along to him fans and interviews, way before the 5th season started, ever since the last book was released by various hints like "so you think he is dead?" replies). So in my personal opinion, if after all this brouhaha,  Jon just gets up and fights, it would feel like really cheap shot by GRRM towards the readers.

As to your points re: Hound hitting Arya with the axe/hammer(?), I, myself, never actually thought that he killed her, I immediately thought he knocked her out to shut her up a la numerous tv/movie scenes when someone knocks out another with a handle of a gun, just a medieval version of that. When Hound was left dying of his wounds by Arya, he was still conscious and aware, I assumed it would take him at least couple of days to die with no help .Obviously the help had come. Neither one of them felt like a definite this is it moment to me as Jon's scenes do. He collapses, feels "only cold" and stops feeling the pain, all hallmarks of loosing blood rapidly as well as lapsing into unconsciousness (at least) and definitely symptoms of dying. 

I would expect Jon to be incapacitated at very least for several chapters and not able to move in his own body. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could imagine this:

They -"betrayers", wildlings, Night's Watch and Stannis' men- are about to attack each other, but someone on the Wall will blow the horn which takes their attention. And for example they blow it 3 times and the Others and/or wights arrive.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are forgetting one other "faction" as well. Tied to the wildlings but much more likely to react with hostility if Jon is wounded.

Alys Karstark is indebted to Jon for the help he gave her. She is now married to the Magnar of Thenn who, in her own words "So, I am now a woman wed. A wildling husband with his own little wildling army"

If Jon is hurt or killed, his "cousin" is not going to take it well. We know the Thenn's are just about the most warlike of all the Wildlings and we have to imagine that Sigorn will act to help his wifes kin. Alys/Sigorn have more of a vested interest in helping Jon than even Thormund...

There was talk of her heading to Karhold but i don't think she actually left as far as we know.

Consider that Alys and Sigorn have only just come into the story proper (we've only heard snippets of them before) so perhaps they where introduced to specifically take a hand in this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.