Lies your mother told you

Fragile Bird

5 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

We discussed this in the office today.  One of the stranger things I heard is that you can't buy a broom in summer.   I was wondering if this had any basis in the quality of straw available in the south during these months.

Isn't that a broom superstition? Something about buying a broom in May sweeping the family away? Not sure if it has anything to do with reality. I read somewhere it was just bad luck.

9 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

We discussed this in the office today.  One of the stranger things I heard is that you can't buy a broom in summer.   I was wondering if this had any basis in the quality of straw available in the south during these months.

This is great. I am feeling a distinct lack of these kinds of things. Even my grandparents seem devoid of superstition in retrospect, and I think of them as pretty Norman Rockwellian.

When I said there's not always a need for the cold, unvarnished truth, I was thinking more about people who will be cruel and cutting and then say, "Well, I'm just being HONEST."

Well, I'm being honest when I say I think you're a fuck-head.   Not directed to anyone here! Just the kind of person whom I've had the displeasure of meeting.

The above example is generally found in casual, acquaintance-type relationships, or sometimes between siblings.  But I've heard tell of a weird sort of parent that will destroy a child's confidence through "truth."  Gods save me from that kind of truth...

ETA:  And, yes, OF COURSE there's a limit to overcompensating and giving a kid delusions of his own grandeur.  

20 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

When I said there's not always a need for the cold, unvarnished truth, I was thinking more about people who will be cruel and cutting and then say, "Well, I'm just being HONEST."

Well, I'm being honest when I say I think you're a fuck-head.   Not directed to anyone here! Just the kind of person whom I've had the displeasure of meeting.

The above example is generally found in casual, acquaintance-type relationships, or sometimes between siblings.  But I've heard tell of a weird sort of parent that will destroy a child's confidence through "truth."  Gods save me from that kind of truth...

ETA:  And, yes, OF COURSE there's a limit to overcompensating and giving a kid delusions of his own grandeur.  

Hey, I think a lot of us have heard those kind of "lies" from our parents.  I think I heard some of the best ones, "you can do whatever you want / it's always going to be harder for you if you try to do THAT!"

"I'm just being honest,". Is sometimes a very good conversation for parents to have with kids.  Whether it's limitations from their own time or a deep down look at what their expectations are for you (so you know them, you can look at them and them throw them the fuck away) that is something to remember and see.  I had this conversation with my parents a very long time ago.  

"You aren't smarter than your dad."

"You sure as hell aren't smarter than me."

"Your dad couldn't finish a Math Degree."

37 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just saw Mashable just did a story about parenting moments and my favourite is where one mom told her kids that if the ice cream truck was playing music, it meant they had run out.... :o 

Any discerning kid worthy of the name could figure THAT one out fast.  all they'd have to do is watch their friends get their fudgesicles or drumsticks.  It would really destroy a parent's credibility if they pulled that one - unless it was a joke.  My dad would sometimes tell us really wild whoppers that were so ridiculous and funny that we knew he was kidding.  "Oh, daddy!" :eyeroll: 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just saw Mashable just did a story about parenting moments and my favourite is where one mom told her kids that if the ice cream truck was playing music, it meant they had run out.... :o 

That one was hilarious as a child. But only because it wasn't used on me, but by my friends mam on her own daughter, who believed her.

"Do you want an ice cream when the truck comes?"

"yes please! If they haven't run out I mean"

"When did they run out?"

"Mam says when they play the music they have none left..."

That's awesome.

I heard one today about the "meddle monster"

This lives in drawers you shouldn't meddle with and will bite you.  I can say that's it's effective enough that it still works.

For those interested, 50% of my southern raised colleagues report that hot water for cooking is "unhealthy".  I assume for the other 50% their parents realized that both water lines were hot as balls anyway so it didn't matter.

Oh, on superstitions, DO NOT SWEEP PEOPLE'S FEET.  Up north it means another baby, down here the consensus is that you'll never marry.

On 3/1/2016 at 9:38 PM, Astromech said:

<snip>

I feel being raised Catholic probably instilled irrational fears in us more than anything my parents told us. It's very liberating for Catholics once you come to terms with being destined for hell. After that realization you can just enjoy the ride. :) 

as a unrepentant catholic on the highway to hell... i concur with this observation...  

On 3/1/2016 at 5:02 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

Well, being honest doesn't exactly mean cold, unvarnished complete truth.  There's such thing as age-appropriate truth .  Just to use an adoption example, it's the difference between starting out with a telling a toddler he grew in someone else's tummy and starting with a detailed story on rejection, moving cross country, one night stands, etc.  It's not lying to be age appropriate. 

And I agree with another poster that a general sense of honesty within families doesn't limit ability to explore imagination.  Kids can still be taught to play make believe or engage in interactive storytelling without their parents lying about what's in their food.  

i also agree with this and i shall give an example...my beautiful 13 yr old Karate Princess came to live with us when she was 3 her father had kicked her and Mother to the curb and moved on with his next baby momma. at first there was no problem, then she started school at age 4...and "daddy" became a thing. when she asked me "where is my daddy, uncatripp?" i said he was dead (and believe me killing him outright had surely crossed my mind a time or ten). i believed then and still do that at age 4 a little girl doesn't need to carry the emotional baggage that her father was a useless dickhead who believed that she and Mother were not fit to love...she only learned the partial truth last year, and because she had not focused on finding him, thinking of him or wishing for him, she was ok with knowing he lived, but was not good enough for her and Mother, so they came to us. When she told me she knew the truth (sorta, the worst of it thankfully was not told to her) she said the most grownup thing i had ever heard...she looked me in the eye and said, "well it was his loss, cause i turned out awesome!" and man did she ever..."A" student, first chair flutist, and black belt in karate...not to mention drop dead gorgeous ... 

as to the lies i heard as a kid, well being from south Louisiana, Hoodoo superstitions were all around me...i have heard so many spells and charms that have to do with the hair on your head it is surprising everyone down the Bayou ain't bald...in addition i heard all the old wives tales about clean drawers and of course never give a knife to a friend or loved one as a gift cause it cuts friendship/relationship...there were also the fishermen/sailor stories like don't follow the fifolet (ghost-lights) or you will be lost in the swamps forever...no bananas on the boat cause it is bad luck...never count your catch or you won't catch any more...and never ever whistle on the boat cause it is a direct challenge to the Wind and will bring doom...

and of course there is the one thing i know Ma Belle mere lied about...cause if she wasn't lying the hair on my hand would be long enough to drag the floor when i walked... :rolleyes:

:smoking:

On 2/27/2016 at 7:23 PM, sologdin said:

the sanctity of marriage, the importance of blood relatives, the significance of gender ideology, the fairness of criminal justice, the severity of public discourse in bourgeois democracy, the rightness of patriotism, the justice of capitalism, the heroism of war.

not cool, mom, not cool.

To be fair, it is media as a whole that makes us believe that. Your mother isn't lying, she's just a sheep. To be fair though, I don't have the right to sit on my high horse about it, as I've never taken any action myself against any of those issues. Now that I think of it, I'm equally part of the problem. 

I learned this weekend that there are a lot of people who believe you should shock a person who has been bit by a snake.  I was in a class renewing my CPR certification and two people mentioned it during the first aid section.  I figured it was an outlier.  But then I started asking people I knew and about 45% state that you have to electrocute a person with a snake bite as the shock will kill the venom.  I googled and apparently this came from a 1980's paper that has been thoroughly debunked.  But seriously, wtf?  

On 27-2-2016 at 1:23 AM, sologdin said:
On 27-2-2016 at 3:57 PM, The King In Black said:

That she wasn't a god awful parent, wasn't a cheater, wasn't emotionally abusive, and so many more. She was, in other words, a very good example of people worthy of being called a certain word rhyming with runt.

the sanctity of marriage, the importance of blood relatives, the significance of gender ideology, the fairness of criminal justice, the severity of public discourse in bourgeois democracy, the rightness of patriotism, the justice of capitalism, the heroism of war.

not cool, mom, not cool.

*Claps*

On 2/27/2016 at 4:37 PM, Dr. Pepper said:

Eating watermelon seeds will cause watermelons to grow in your stomach.  

Lol my aunt would say this.

I have a feeling that my mother was a pathological liar, so that list would be super long.

From what I can recall as of right now;

constantly saying I would have big boobs like her one day and I wouldn't enjoy running after that.

I still enjoy running but I was looking forward to having a big rack.

"Only a man and woman can be in love" (she was a big religious homophobe) 

"Family is all you have in this world, so you have to love them."

"I have eyes in the back of my head" (This traumatized me for the longest time, lol )

Also, my brother's uncle would say "if we sat on the toilet while it flushed, we would get sucked in and forced down the sewer"

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2016 at 2:11 AM, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Oh, eating anything green or something I despised, would put hair on my chest. Sitting to close to the TV would make me go blind. Eating bubble gum would stay in my stomach for 7 years. I know there are a bunch more, I just can't recall them at the moment. Anything she didn't want me to do, she always had a reason it would hurt me or some nonsense.

Eating cooked carrots would put hair on my chest.

Washing my hair so often would take the color out of it,

I would stop having breakouts when I was 20,

She would do anything for me.

Archived