Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

19 hours ago, jobmartell said:

Has ithe been discussed whether or not it was possible for Ned to of know what would transpire at the ToJ? Can there possibly be any thing more to the "Now it ends" line he delivers to the SotM prior to their fight? Almost like he knew for a certainty him and his boys would come out on top or was he sure of their numbers alone?

The numbers were far too low for it to be a logical outcome.  Barristan kills a dozen good men at the Trident.  Jaime kills a dozen good men at the Whispering Woods.  For it to have been a fair fight, Ned needed to have 36 good men; not four, a crannogman, and a squire recently freed from a year in the Black Cells.  But, Ned's dream is precisely that.  The dialog is what mattered most for Ned's understanding about what went on.  "Now it ends," can be assumed to be Ned's hindsight on what happened. 

From AGOT, Eddard IV:

When Ned meets Cat in the brothel and she tells him to work with Petyr to find out the truth of Jon Arryn's death, he thinks:

It would not be the first time that Ned had been forced to make common cause with a man he despised.

What is Ned talking about here? Who was it he joined hands with before who he despised?

11 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

From AGOT, Eddard IV:

When Ned meets Cat in the brothel and she tells him to work with Petyr to find out the truth of Jon Arryn's death, he thinks:

It would not be the first time that Ned had been forced to make common cause with a man he despised.

What is Ned talking about here? Who was it he joined hands with before who he despised?

Either Tywin or Jaime, it's not clear. Presumably during the Greyjoy Rebellion. 

Back to my question about Ned's fever/MotP dream. We are to understand that the dream isn't to be taken at face value. Ned was injured, on some serious sizzerp and "dreaming an old dream, one he's had before" or some such. MtnLion commented that Ned's "Now it ends " line is his hindsight on the events that unfolded at tToJ. My question, besides Ned and howland walking away with (R+L=)J from the tower, what else do we know 100% actually happened?

27 minutes ago, jobmartell said:

Back to my question about Ned's fever/MotP dream. We are to understand that the dream isn't to be taken at face value. Ned was injured, on some serious sizzerp and "dreaming an old dream, one he's had before" or some such. MtnLion commented that Ned's "Now it ends " line is his hindsight on the events that unfolded at tToJ. My question, besides Ned and howland walking away with (R+L=)J from the tower, what else do we know 100% actually happened?

Eight men died at the tower, and Ned tore the tower down to build cairns for each.  No community cairns would do, showing a degree of reverence for each of the fallen.  Lyanna died of a fever, after hanging on to extract promises from Ned.  But you are seriously digressing from the "Small Questions" line of this thread. 

Let me highlight something for you, though.  It is an old dream that Ned thinks does not bode well.  If you want to read the analysis, there is a link in my signature.  Take note of how Ned notices each white knight, too.  He despises Jaime for breaking his vow, which he had witnessed at Harrenhal. 

12 hours ago, FearlessBoggart said:

Does anybody really know the best way to defend against a warhammer?

IMO it would be the way Prince Oberyn "defended" against the Mountain.

Not get hit frankly. Using a spear with reach and fighting in lighter armor could be used as an advantage since plate isn't going to help you too much against a Warhammer.

Do we have any idea how old Daario is?

I can't remember that ever being mentioned, the wiki doesn't say much and I could not find anything in the search site... but that could just be my search words didn't match up. :dunno:

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Where is it stated when Aegon I converted to the Faith of the Seven?

Edit: Also, where is it stated that there were forty dragonlord families in Valyria? I can't find the quote anymore..

I tried to find just the exact statement, but this was as close as I got. Sorry.

• A Feast for Crows - Cersei VI

Are you a priest or a greengrocer? "And what might I do to make it . . . riper?" If he dares mention gold, I will deal with this one as I did the last and find a pious eight-year-old to wear the crystal crown.
    "The realm is full of kings. For the Faith to exalt one above the rest we must be certain. Three hundred years ago, when Aegon the Dragon landed beneath this very hill, the High Septon locked himself within the Starry Sept of Oldtown and prayed for seven days and seven nights, taking no nourishment but bread and water. When he emerged he announced that the Faith would not oppose Aegon and his sisters, for the Crone had lifted up her lamp to show him what lay ahead. If Oldtown took up arms against the Dragon, Oldtown would burn, and the Hightower and the Citadel and the Starry Sept would be cast down and destroyed. Lord Hightower was a godly man. When he heard the prophecy, he kept his strength at home and opened the city gates to Aegon when he came. And His High Holiness anointed the Conqueror with the seven oils. I must do as he did, three hundred years ago. I must pray, and fast."
  • The World of Ice and Fire - The Iron Islands: The Greyjoys of Pyke

Exhausted and impoverished by years of war, the ironmen accepted their new overlord without demur.
It took the Iron Islands the best part of a generation to recover from the wounds inflicted by Harren's fall and the fratricidal war that followed. Vickon Greyjoy, enthroned on Pyke on the Seastone Chair, proved a stern but cautious ruler. Though he did not outlaw reaving, he commanded that the practice be confined to distant waters, far beyond the shores of Westeros, so as not to provoke the wroth of the Iron Throne. And since Aegon had accepted the Seven as his gods and been anointed by the High Septon in Oldtown, Lord Vickon allowed the septons to return to the islands once again to preach the Faith.

This is as best I can do for the second request:
  • The World of Ice and Fire - The Free Cities: Pentos

Despite this, the Pentoshi hold to customs very different from those of the Seven Kingdoms. Pentos counts itself a daughter of Valyria—and the old blood can indeed be found there. In elder days, the city was ruled by a prince of high and noble birth, chosen from amongst the adult males of the so-called forty families. Once chosen, the Prince of Pentos ruled for life; when one prince died, another would be chosen, almost always from a different family.

5 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Do we have any idea how old Daario is?

I can't remember that ever being mentioned, the wiki doesn't say much and I could not find anything in the search site... but that could just be my search words didn't match up. :dunno:

Thanks!

Nothing I can find in the book, app, or wiki. He's an enigma for sure.

8 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I tried to find just the exact statement, but this was as close as I got. Sorry.

• A Feast for Crows - Cersei VI

Are you a priest or a greengrocer? "And what might I do to make it . . . riper?" If he dares mention gold, I will deal with this one as I did the last and find a pious eight-year-old to wear the crystal crown.
    "The realm is full of kings. For the Faith to exalt one above the rest we must be certain. Three hundred years ago, when Aegon the Dragon landed beneath this very hill, the High Septon locked himself within the Starry Sept of Oldtown and prayed for seven days and seven nights, taking no nourishment but bread and water. When he emerged he announced that the Faith would not oppose Aegon and his sisters, for the Crone had lifted up her lamp to show him what lay ahead. If Oldtown took up arms against the Dragon, Oldtown would burn, and the Hightower and the Citadel and the Starry Sept would be cast down and destroyed. Lord Hightower was a godly man. When he heard the prophecy, he kept his strength at home and opened the city gates to Aegon when he came. And His High Holiness anointed the Conqueror with the seven oils. I must do as he did, three hundred years ago. I must pray, and fast."
  • The World of Ice and Fire - The Iron Islands: The Greyjoys of Pyke

Exhausted and impoverished by years of war, the ironmen accepted their new overlord without demur.
It took the Iron Islands the best part of a generation to recover from the wounds inflicted by Harren's fall and the fratricidal war that followed. Vickon Greyjoy, enthroned on Pyke on the Seastone Chair, proved a stern but cautious ruler. Though he did not outlaw reaving, he commanded that the practice be confined to distant waters, far beyond the shores of Westeros, so as not to provoke the wroth of the Iron Throne. And since Aegon had accepted the Seven as his gods and been anointed by the High Septon in Oldtown, Lord Vickon allowed the septons to return to the islands once again to preach the Faith.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

This is as best I can do for the second request:

• The World of Ice and Fire - The Free Cities: Pentos

Despite this, the Pentoshi hold to customs very different from those of the Seven Kingdoms. Pentos counts itself a daughter of Valyria—and the old blood can indeed be found there. In elder days, the city was ruled by a prince of high and noble birth, chosen from amongst the adult males of the so-called forty families. Once chosen, the Prince of Pentos ruled for life; when one prince died, another would be chosen, almost always from a different family.

The forty noble families of Pentos are probably not the same thing as the forty dragonlord families of Valyria, considering all but one went extinct following the Doom.

However, I have to admit, I found the quote about the forty dragonlord families rather shortly after posting my question :)

Thank your for the help!

20 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Do anyone knows how fast a crow fly? How long it would take for a crown to go from CB to Dorne for example?

Check out the calculation tabs here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj_uNZmcJaTddG9BVU5tRnJJTE5KcE5JRkFha1ZfNUE#gid=8

Is Sam teaching birds, or are they arriving for other reasons and speaking?

First we have this...

• The World of Ice and Fire - Ancient History: The Dawn Age

According to Barth, this higher mystery was taught to the First Men by the children so that ravens could spread messages at a great distance. It was passed, in degraded form, down to the maesters today, who no longer know how to speak to the birds. It is true that our order understands the speech of ravens...but this means the basic purposes of their cawing and rasping, their signs of fear and anger, and the means by which they display their readiness to mate or their lack of health.
    Ravens are amongst the cleverest of birds, but they are no wiser than infant children, and considerably less capable of true speech, whatever Septon Barth might have believed. A few maesters, devoted to the link of Valyrian steel, have argued that Barth was correct, but not a one has been able to prove his claims regarding speech between men and ravens.

And then we have these...

• A Storm of Swords - Samwell IV

He could hear the birds quorking in the rookery, so he put the papers away and climbed the steps to feed them. Three more ravens had come in, he saw with pleasure. "Snow," they cried at him. "Snow, snow, snow." He [Sam] had taught them that. Even with the newcomers, the ravenry seemed dismally empty. Few of the birds that Aemon had sent off had returned as yet... yadda yadda yadda...
  • A Feast for Crows - Samwell I

"Snow," a raven muttered. "Snow," another echoed. All of them picked it up then. "Snow, snow, snow, snow, snow." Sam had taught them that word. There was no help here, he saw. Maester Aemon was as trapped as he was. He will die at sea, he thought, despairing. He is too old to survive such a voyage. Gilly's little son may die as well, he's not as large and strong as Dalla's boy. Does Jon mean to kill us all?

Archived