Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 hour ago, Rob Storm said:

Are there any hints to what specifically brought the Plague "Great Spring Sickness" to Westeros? Rats and people dying in the primary port cities. I haven't heard a source.

The only references I could find (via the useful Search of Ice and Fire) is that Dorne and Vale survived mostly unaffected due to closing of ports and ways into their lands.

Lord Arryn survived to fight another day, and years later shut the Vale to traffic from the high road and by sea when the Great Spring Sickness swept over the Seven Kingdoms; thus, the Vale and Dorne alone were unaffected by that terrible plague.

But then the Great Spring Sickness swept the Seven Kingdoms, affecting all save the Vale and Dorne, where they closed the ports and mountain passes.

So nothing more specific at least in the published material. Seems like a pretty run-of-the-mill plague.

5 hours ago, Rob Storm said:

Are there any hints to what specifically brought the Plague "Great Spring Sickness" to Westeros? Rats and people dying in the primary port cities. I haven't heard a source.

I think you answered your own question--rats off ships from the ports. 

Would someone kindly remind me why tis rules out Tyene's mother as Lemore?

Arianne Martell had crossed the Mander once, when she had gone with three of the Sand Snakes to visit Tyene’s mother.

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

13 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

No idea since we have no idea of when this happened. We don't know when Lemore joined Griff. It doesn't rule out anything to me. 

2 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Has GRRM ever confirmed that Stannis boffed Melisandre?

Not that I recall, but he really doesn't need to. I think the text makes it clear that that's where shadowbabies come from. 

Just now, RumHam said:

Not that I recall, but he really doesn't need to. I think the text makes it clear that that's where shadowbabies come from. 

Does it?

Adultery would be out of character for Stannis, at least as most of us understand him. And yet the text is suggestive that he had to fuck Melisandre to make a shadow assassin, as you say.

I'd never really thought about it before, but something's awry there. Just wondering if it's ever been made clear.

5 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Does it?

Adultery would be out of character for Stannis, at least as most of us understand him. And yet the text is suggestive that he had to fuck Melisandre to make a shadow assassin, as you say.

I'd never really thought about it before, but something's awry there. Just wondering if it's ever been made clear.

From Melisandre's chapter in ADwD: "With Stannis gone, her bed saw little use"

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm thinking specifically of the time she tries to seduce Davos telling him that Stannis's fires burn too low to make another shadowbaby. I can't find the quote at the moment. 

This?

"Is the brave Ser Onions so frightened of a passing shadow? Take heart, then. Shadows only live when given birth by light, and the king's fires burn so low I dare not draw off any more to make another son. It might well kill him." Melisandre moved closer. "With another man, though . . . a man whose flames still burn hot and high . . . if you truly wish to serve your king's cause, come to my chamber one night. I could give you pleasure such as you have never known, and with your life-fire I could make . . ."

32 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Does it?

It's cause he was ensorceled by her. Weren't you ever ensorceled by some gal? Man, there was this one gal in college... Every time I hear that Fleetwood Mac song Gold Dust Woman, I think of her...

17 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

Does Arianne meet Lemore in one of the Winds sample chapters? In that case, if she was Tyene's mother then that surely would be remarked upon.

59 minutes ago, Tucu said:

This?

"Is the brave Ser Onions so frightened of a passing shadow? Take heart, then. Shadows only live when given birth by light, and the king's fires burn so low I dare not draw off any more to make another son. It might well kill him." Melisandre moved closer. "With another man, though . . . a man whose flames still burn hot and high . . . if you truly wish to serve your king's cause, come to my chamber one night. I could give you pleasure such as you have never known, and with your life-fire I could make . . ."

Yes that's the one, thanks. 

51 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Does Arianne meet Lemore in one of the Winds sample chapters? In that case, if she was Tyene's mother then that surely would be remarked upon.

Spoiler

She does not. 

This is another reason to assume Lemore is Tyene's mum, since Arianne would surely trust her BFF's mother, and that would presumably aid the plot. 

Archived