Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

17 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Since Meereen had a city watch prior to Daenerys's arrival, and there was a need to set up a city watch (the Brazen Beasts) a while after, should we assume that the previous city watch was disbanded after Daenerys when over Meereen?

That seems the most likely scenario, but I'd say it is far from certain. Maybe the other watch continued to exist up to the establishment of the Brazen Beasts, or even beyond, but was considered politically unreliable so played no important role.

On 9/20/2016 at 3:23 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Since Meereen had a city watch prior to Daenerys's arrival, and there was a need to set up a city watch (the Brazen Beasts) a while after, should we assume that the previous city watch was disbanded after Daenerys when over Meereen?

So, like Arianne... um... well, her and Tyene, and maybe the other two eldest Sand Sankes... they're like, um, bi, right? And they've, um... well, you know... they've ridden bumper-to-bumper, right? 

On 21-9-2016 at 3:00 PM, Horse of Kent said:

That seems the most likely scenario, but I'd say it is far from certain. Maybe the other watch continued to exist up to the establishment of the Brazen Beasts, or even beyond, but was considered politically unreliable so played no important role.

Considering that Daenerys says "From this day, it shall be for Meereenese to keep the peace in Meereen.
Skahaz, make me a new watch, made up in equal parts of shavepates and freedmen", 
that would suggest that there is no previous watch, right? Because the Unsullied were the ones guarding the streets of Meereen before the Brazen Beasts were established, that would suggest there was no other city watch guarding the streets, right?

3 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

When were Arthur and Lewyn named to the Kingsguard in relation to Elia marrying Rhaegar? 

Arthur had been in the Kingsguard before Elia was betrothed. He's mentioned as a KG knight during the tourney in 276 AC already. It is unknown how long he had been in the KG at that point.

Lewyn is a bit unclear, but TWOIAF at least implies it was connected to Elia's betrothal/marriage

The Dornishmen who had come to court with the Princess Elia were in the prince’s confidence as well, particularly Prince Lewyn Martell, Elia’s uncle and a Sworn Brother of the Kingsguard.

44 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Arthur had been in the Kingsguard before Elia was betrothed. He's mentioned as a KG knight during the tourney in 276 AC already. It is unknown how long he had been in the KG at that point.

Lewyn is a bit unclear, but TWOIAF at least implies it was connected to Elia's betrothal/marriage

The Dornishmen who had come to court with the Princess Elia were in the prince’s confidence as well, particularly Prince Lewyn Martell, Elia’s uncle and a Sworn Brother of the Kingsguard.

You're so awesome. Thanks! 

13 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Princess and the Queen question: if Hugh the Hammer is a dragonseed and a blacksmith's bastard, then logically it follows either that his mother was a blacksmith, or it was a Targaryen woman whose blood had been running hot. Or GRRM made a mistake. Can anyone reconcile this?

Or his grandfather, (or great-grandfather etc.) had been a Targaryen prince.

Just now, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

So someone counts as a dragonseed - and can ride a dragon - even if the Targaryen ancestor is several generations back?

Blimey - "the seed is strong" indeed.

The name is not normally used for the sons and grandsons of dragonseeds, but I don't see why, when generalizing, the term shouldn't apply.. 

Not all those who came forward in answer to the prince’s call were seeds, nor even the sons or grandsons of seeds. A score of the queen’s own household knights offered themselves as dragonriders, amongst them the Lord Commander of her Kingsguard, Ser Steffon Darklyn, along with squires, scullions, sailors, men-at-arms, mummers, and two maids.

Other explanations would be that Hugh's mother claimed that Hugh was the bastard son of a blacksmith, while in fact, he had not been. Or, Hugh had no Targaryen blood at all... Don't forget that he's counted among the dragonseeds only because he managed to mount a dragon.

16 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Considering that Daenerys says "From this day, it shall be for Meereenese to keep the peace in Meereen.
Skahaz, make me a new watch, made up in equal parts of shavepates and freedmen", 
that would suggest that there is no previous watch, right? Because the Unsullied were the ones guarding the streets of Meereen before the Brazen Beasts were established, that would suggest there was no other city watch guarding the streets, right?

That seems considerably the most likely scenario.

Did the First Men and the Andals even speak the same language? There seems to be some conflict within evidence about thus. Apparently, First Men used runes ("the First Men only left us runes on rocks), but septons used the Common Tongue. However, there must have been some form of communication between the two races, since some First Men in the Vale made pacts with the Andals, and marriage alliances were made. Furthermore, there seems to be a Northern accent (Harwin is described to have one in the last Brienne chapter) which could support the idea that there were two separate languages originally.

4 hours ago, FearlessBoggart said:

Did the First Men and the Andals even speak the same language? There seems to be some conflict within evidence about thus. Apparently, First Men used runes ("the First Men only left us runes on rocks), but septons used the Common Tongue. However, there must have been some form of communication between the two races, since some First Men in the Vale made pacts with the Andals, and marriage alliances were made. Furthermore, there seems to be a Northern accent (Harwin is described to have one in the last Brienne chapter) which could support the idea that there were two separate languages originally.

The First Men originally spoke the "Old Tongue" and eventually adopted the Common Tongue. The fact that all of Westeros speaks the same language is one of the more unrealistic things about the setting of the books, but it does make things a lot simpler. As for how two groups of people with no common language eventually learned to communicate, well that's something that must have happened hundreds of times in real world history. So I don't really see the problem. 

36 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

If a person joins the NW and he is married, does their marriage get annuled after taking the NW vows? Is his wife allowed to remarry or is she still considered a married woman?

We don't know for sure. The closest analogue we have is Fireball forcing his wife join the Silent Sisters so he could join the Kingsguard. Which doesn't really clear the issue up. Since it seems Fireball Joining the Kingsgaurd wouldn't have auto-annulled their marriage, but his wife joining the Silent Sisters did. 

This question is of little, if any, import, but I am curious... I just noticed that Arianne pointed out to Arys that he swore an oath to Joffrey but not to Tommen. Was Tywin negligent for not recalling Arys to King's Landing to swear his sword to Tommen? He could have dispatched a respected Lannister knight or another Kingsguard to shield Myrcella, no? 

36 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

This question is of little, if any, import, but I am curious... I just noticed that Arianne pointed out to Arys that he swore an oath to Joffrey but not to Tommen. Was Tywin negligent for not recalling Arys to King's Landing to swear his sword to Tommen? He could have dispatched a respected Lannister knight or another Kingsguard to shield Myrcella, no? 

We don't really know if there was ever protocol for those kind of situations. I certainly wouldn't say Tywin was negligent. I think the Kingsguard are expected to automatically transfer their loyalty to the new king. Tywin had no reason to think Arys would champion Myrcella over Tommen. I think Arianne is just using a technicality to convince Arys that supporting Myrcella doesn't make him a dishonorable oath-breaking traitor. 

But yeah he could have sent anyone to guard Myrcella, it didn't have to be a Kingsguard. The Hound was Joffrey's sworn shield for years before he put on the white cloak. 

43 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

He could have... He died not long after, though, so that might have been part of the reason.

But a Lannister knight would not have represented the same as a Kingsguard knight did:

“An honored guest,” Tyrion insisted, “and I suspect Martell will treat Myrcella more kindly than Joffrey has treated Sansa Stark. I had in mind to send Ser Arys Oakheart with her. With a knight of the Kingsguard as her sworn shield, no one is like to forget who or what she is.

It is important that Myrcella remains seen as a Baratheon, the daughter of a king, the sister of two kings, and not as a Lannister.

Archived