Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Davos, the Smuggler ... what motivated him to save Stannis at Dragonstone, the seige v1 AC?
Why did he decide to save that crew there?
BTW not important to the question - he's my favorite guy of the books so far.

7 hours ago, Yaya said:

Davos, the Smuggler ... what motivated him to save Stannis at Dragonstone, the seige v1 AC?
Why did he decide to save that crew there?
BTW not important to the question - he's my favorite guy of the books so far.

There's an SSM suggesting the motive was profit. 

On 1/6/2017 at 0:55 PM, Yaya said:

thanks Lord Corlys Velaryon and Los Melnibonean for the information

Valar dohaeris =)

16 hours ago, For Highgarden said:

The link to the Grand Vale conspiracy in the compendium is not working for me. Can someone please give me a link or a quick rundown of the theory? 

I don't recall seeing that one before - do you have the link for the page of the compendium thread it's on?

On 6-1-2017 at 11:03 AM, For Highgarden said:

The link to the Grand Vale conspiracy in the compendium is not working for me. Can someone please give me a link or a quick rundown of the theory? 

If I'm not mistaken, that theory suggests that the lords of the Vale are aware of Sansa's true identity and are only pretending to believe she is LF's bastard daughter, and are plotting to take LF down using Sansa, with the support of Nestor Royce.

On 1/6/2017 at 9:22 PM, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

Valar dohaeris =)

I don't recall seeing that one before - do you have the link for the page of the compendium thread it's on?

It's in the spoiler Tags on the op. My phone freezes everytime I hit a link. It was one I didn't recall either! That's why I was so interested.

19 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

If I'm not mistaken, that theory suggests that the lords of the Vale are aware of Sansa's true identity and are only pretending to believe she is LF's bastard daughter, and are plotting to take LF down using Sansa, with the support of Nestor Royce.

I can think of a few hints that they may know it's her. I was hoping for a nice thread with textual evidence as its one I don't remember ever reading. Thanks for the rundown! 

49 minutes ago, For Highgarden said:

It's in the spoiler Tags on the op. My phone freezes everytime I hit a link. It was one I didn't recall either! That's why I was so interested.

Thanks! I'll give it a read. Here's the URL so you can hopefully try & past & go direct: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/81892-littlefingers-downfall/&page=3#entry4161694

51 minutes ago, For Highgarden said:

I can think of a few hints that they may know it's her. I was hoping for a nice thread with textual evidence as its one I don't remember ever reading. Thanks for the rundown!

I really want to do a complete run-down of the Vale politics in ASoIaF one day, Sansa's last chapter (Alayne II) in AFfC in particular. Specifically, Bronze Yohn & why in the hell he married Ysilla to fourth son Mychel (my overall thought: he actually was trying to betroth her to Harry, but his "chivalry" allowed LF enough time to organise Harry for Sansa instead via Anya, so he (it must have been quickly, so I'm not certain why yet) instead matched her with Mychel to truly bind the Redforts to his goal of bringing down LF. Furthermore, such may be that he did so for Mychel's children to one day rule Runestone, with perhaps Andar being intended for a greater role as a consort to Sansa - assuming he at least suspects Alayne's true identity.

5 hours ago, Heileen said:

I've always wondered about this, but what's one of the more popular theories the readers/fans thought about? 

Depends on the fans, and a lot of times it's more like topics than theories, or questions. R+L=J was probably the most talked about and most famous, seems to have slowed down for some reason more recently. But there are a lot of theories that are popular, some proven, some not proven, some dispelled. Coldhands? Jojen paste? Almost anything about Dawn or the Daynes, FAegon real or fake? Ummm Septa Lemore is Ashara Dayne, the GNC was popular for a long time, don't see much talk about it anymore, and Tyrion is a Targ, that's still under a decent amount of debate. Everyone has their own sort of thing they are interested in but I guess R+L=J is probably the crown prince of theories from the board, been at the top longer than just about anything else. It was like a community theory that started I want to say in the late 90's, maybe 2000 I think by an editor and fans took it from there. There is like a 4 year window where it started popping up and growing.

Still not officially proven which is why it's still pinned. It may not officially be proven for a little bit yet, if ever you never know with Martin. Some say official some not, depends who you ask. There are some solid theories, some bad theories and a whole lot of tinfoil out there.

On 1/7/2017 at 8:33 AM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

So they flipped the region from the GNC to the GVC? Well here is hoping they find the correct region this time.

It seems that the state-owned warships have green sails:

The storms would have scattered and delayed the Volantenes, even as they had his own ships. If fortune smiled, many of their warships might have sunk or run aground. But not all. No god was that good, and those green galleys that survived by now could well have sailed around Valyria. They will be sweeping north toward Meereen and Yunkai, great dromonds of war teeming with slave soldiers. If the Storm God spared them, by now they could be in the Gulf of Grief. Three hundred ships, perhaps as many as five hundred. Their allies were already off Meereen: Yunkishmen and Astapors, men from New Ghis and Qarth and Tolos and the Storm God knew where else, even Meereen's own warships, the ones that fled the city before its fall. Against all that, Victarion had four-and-fifty. Three-and-fifty, less the Shark.

8 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Hopefully this is the right thread to ask this question.  I've always been pretty crappy with the time lines.  How long, approximately, was the time between Lyanna's disappearance and the end of the siege at Storm's End.  Was it about two years, or am I completely off base on that?

We can't be exactly sure. We know that the war ended in late 283 AC with the Sack, and the siege rather quickly after it. The war had begun in late 282 AC, after Aerys had executed Brandon and Rickard. Rickard had come to KL because Aerys had summoned him upon Brandon's arrest, and Brandon rode to KL after he had learned about Lyanna's abduction. But it is difficult to determine how much time actually passed between Lyanna disappearing, and the war starting.

Rhaegar left Dragonstone and "took to the rode" in early 282 AC, and his journey would "ultimately" lead him back to the riverlands, which I interpret to suggest that there was some significant passage of time (i.e., it was not his first destination). Nonetheless, I do not doubt that Brandon learned about Lyanna's disappearance shortly after she actually disappeared, and that Rickard did not waste any time travelling to KL after Aerys summoned him (and he had already been on his way to Riverrun to begin with, so he did not need to come all the way from Winterfell). The time it took for them to travel to KL and be executed might have been some two months or so (the amount of time of a fortnight for the distance between KL and the ruby ford is rather consistently used, and Rickard was only summoned after Brandon's arrest, meaning he only went to KL after Brandon had arrived there).

So my guess would be that Lyanna disappeared near the middle of the year 282 AC, give or take a month or two, after which some months (two, maybe three) passed between Brandon learning about it and the executions of both Starks and Aerys's summons. Given that the Siege of Storm's End ended in late 283 AC, it would be ~1,5 years between the two events, give or take.

12 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

We can't be exactly sure. We know that the war ended in late 283 AC with the Sack, and the siege rather quickly after it. The war had begun in late 282 AC, after Aerys had executed Brandon and Rickard. Rickard had come to KL because Aerys had summoned him upon Brandon's arrest, and Brandon rode to KL after he had learned about Lyanna's abduction. But it is difficult to determine how much time actually passed between Lyanna disappearing, and the war starting.

Rhaegar left Dragonstone and "took to the rode" in early 282 AC, and his journey would "ultimately" lead him back to the riverlands, which I interpret to suggest that there was some significant passage of time (i.e., it was not his first destination). Nonetheless, I do not doubt that Brandon learned about Lyanna's disappearance shortly after she actually disappeared, and that Rickard did not waste any time travelling to KL after Aerys summoned him (and he had already been on his way to Riverrun to begin with, so he did not need to come all the way from Winterfell). The time it took for them to travel to KL and be executed might have been some two months or so (the amount of time of a fortnight for the distance between KL and the ruby ford is rather consistently used, and Rickard was only summoned after Brandon's arrest, meaning he only went to KL after Brandon had arrived there).

So my guess would be that Lyanna disappeared near the middle of the year 282 AC, give or take a month or two, after which some months (two, maybe three) passed between Brandon learning about it and the executions of both Starks and Aerys's summons. Given that the Siege of Storm's End ended in late 283 AC, it would be ~1,5 years between the two events, give or take.

Ok thanks, two years then would probably be stretching it a bit.

Archived