Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

27 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

A few of us (not me) believe that Belwas has orders to take down Barristan at the appropriate moment. 

I'm not surprised. There's a theory for everything. Personally I suspect he's a glamored Robert Baratheon being warged by Benjen Stark under the orders of Bloodraven. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

You should direct that question to @Lord Varys.

I actually never suggested anything of that sort. The idea I tossed around is that Belwas might actually turn out to be Illyrio's dagger at Dany's throat should it turn out that she would become a threat to Aegon. Unlike Selmy (who clearly was sent to Qarth to woo Dany into returning to Pentos with him) Belwas has no reason to be loyal to the Targaryens or Daenerys and (possibly) every reason to be loyal to Illyrio Mopatis.

Varys and Illyrio seldom sent out people for no reason. It could be that Belwas is just a colorful extra. But if he ever ends up playing an important role in the plot an assassination attempt on Dany would make the most sense if you ask me. The fact that nobody I know of came up with the idea makes me reasonably confident that only very few people expect such a development - which would make it a pretty decent surprise if George went down that road.

We all wonder how this Second Dance thing is going to begin. Sure, most likely Aegon will marry Daenerys, and the people in Westeros will believe she died in that pit as all the rumors traveling will tell them. Then the Targaryen loyalists can either declare for Aegon or burn their hidden Targaryen banners and go home. Most likely they will declare for Aegon. But that still isn't enough for the outbreak of a major all-or-nothing civil war.

Varys and Illyrio most likely will be among the first to learn that Dany is still alive after all, and finally coming to Westeros when they no longer have any interest in that particular development. Say, because Aegon has secured the Iron Throne and is making good progress in uniting and pacifying the Realm under his rule. They might decide to end the Dany threat before it actually becomes a threat - by killing her before she gets to Westeros. They could dispatch some new agent/assassin, or they might not need to do such a thing because Belwas is already there. All they would need to do is to send him a message.

And if this assassination attempt leaves Daenerys severely injured, disfigured, or losing a loved one (Daario? Missandei? Selmy? some Dothraki husband?) over it she might be very angry and determined to get even with the people behind that plot (i.e. Varys/Illyrio and Aegon). Especially if she also gets good information on Varys/Illyrio's origins and their past machinations.

I think this whole thing has to get personal in a very real sense, just as the historical Dance was. We won't get another Blood and Cheese or a murder similar to that of Lucerys Velaryon, but we should get event that draws Daenerys into this war on a personal level. On Arianne's side it is already the Quentyn thing. She is very likely going to blame him for his death, and depending how much influence Arianne is going to have over Aegon in the story to come that in itself could be enough to poison Aegon against Daenerys.

23 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Why do you say that about the Cape of Eagles?

Primarily it's shape: it looks distinctively like it may have been formed by a shield volcano at that location. If you look at this picture of Banks peninsula in New Zealand, it's clear that the two share an uncanny resemblance. Then you also have, as I mentioned above, the basalt used in the construction of Moat Cailin, which doesn't seem to have any other plausible local source.

34 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

In Arianne’s cell in the Spear Tower there was "a huge tome about dragons that somehow made them about as interesting as newts." 

Any ideas what book this might be? 

Some have speculated it's Septon Barth's 'Unnatural History' - Baelor had all copies he could find burned, but Dorne wasn't part of the Seven Kingdoms back then.

1 hour ago, Blue Tiger said:

Some have speculated it's Septon Barth's 'Unnatural History' - Baelor had all copies he could find burned, but Dorne wasn't part of the Seven Kingdoms back then.

That's what I was thinking. But I wanted to see if the book had been identified as something else. Wow, I never noticed that...

7 hours ago, TyrionTLannister said:

Is it true that before GRRM decided to include dragons in the story, the Targaryens had the ability to manipulate fire?

He considered it. From this interview:

(46:59) Adam Whitehead: “I understand during the early stages, when you were thinking about not having any magic at all in it, there wouldn’t be any sorcery, there wouldn’t be anything alien, there’d just be like an alternative history.”

GRRM: “Yeah, that was one thing that I went back and forth with in the very early days. You know, I love all of these sub-genres of imaginative fiction—horror, science fiction, and fantasy—but in my earliest days as a writer I think, although I did some fantasies, I did some horror stories, I was primarily known as a science fiction writer. And I still think I have a science fiction mindset. I have a rationalist mindset that always balks a little at magic. As a reader I prefer low-magic fantasies to, you know, high-magic fantasies, and always have. So when I begin this, and I’m writing it, I said, well, to what extent do I want to have any magic?

[…]

(49:45) "And I did consider a similar approach with Game of Thrones. Should I actually have dragons, or should the Targaryens have some sort of, I don’t know, pyrokinetic power where they can, you know, almost ESP, they can manipulate flame and conjure up blasts of flame. You know, invisible kind of mind dragons or something like that. And I went back and forth. But I finally decided, no, I’m gonna go with the dragons. And I think that was the best choice.”

I am reminded that @UnmaskedLurker was also looking for a source for this statement in his Theory – There Must Be Another Hidden Targ thread he made a couple years ago, so I have tagged him here in case he's still interested.

On 1/20/2017 at 10:36 PM, Shmedricko said:

He considered it. From this interview:

I am reminded that @UnmaskedLurker was also looking for a source for this statement in his Theory – There Must Be Another Hidden Targ thread he made a couple years ago, so I have tagged him here in case he's still interested.

I really appreciate the tag. You are correct that I have been looking for that quote for years. I saw the quote once a couple of years ago (or maybe a similar but different quote as I recall use of the term "fire dancer" was used in the quote I originally saw) and then could never find it again. I maintain, as I did when I first wrote that thread over 2-1/2 years ago, that this information is strong support in favor of the theory that Targ blood (given that the other dragon lord families died as a result of the Doom) is needed to bond with a dragon. Thanks again. UL

11 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Which is the best bow in the world of ASOIAF a weirwood, golden heart or dragon bone bow?

Dragon bone is better.

Dragonbone bows are greatly prized by the Dothraki, and small wonder. An archer so armed can outrange any wooden bow.

A third of Balaq's men used crossbows, another third the double-curved horn-and-sinew bows of the east. Better than these were the big yew longbows borne by the archers of Westerosi blood, and best of all were the great bows of goldenheart treasured by Black Balaq himself and his fifty Summer Islanders. Only a dragonbone bow could outrange one made of goldenheart. Whatever bow they carried, all of Balaq's men were sharp-eyed, seasoned veterans who had proved their worth in a hundred battles, raids, and skirmishes. They proved it again at Griffin's Roost.

To this day, the bowmen (and women) of the Summer Isles are esteemed the finest in the world. Nor can their bows be matched by common bows, for the princes of the isles have forbidden the export of goldenheart wood since the Slavers' Wars; only bows of dragonbone are known to surpass them, and those are exceedingly rare.

Granted weirwood isn't mentioned explicitly, but the phrases in bold would seem to indicate that dragonbone is still superior.

Is there any evidence that it was ever common for females outside of Dorne to succeed to and rule, or to be in line to succeed to and rule, Andal or First Men kingdoms in their own right? Or is it that sons of such daughters would come before uncles of such daughters?

While we have seen a number of female heads of lordly houses, where a female rules a house in their own right, there seems to be a complete absence of female rulers of Andal or First Men kingdoms, where a female rules a kingdom in their own right, outside of Dorne.

For all the talk of how Andal or First Men inheritance laws work or are supposed to work, it doesn't seem to me like it was ever common for a female to succeed to the throne of an Andal or First Man kingdom and rule it in their own right.

LV has mentioned a female ruler of a kingdom in the Reach (not sure if the manner of her succession is indicated). Are there others we know of?

I understand succession could be interpreted and manipulated differently in different eras. But do we have any evidence, in all this history of Westeros we have in our hands so far, that daughters were ever actually in line to rule Andal or First Men kingdoms in their own right?

Archived