Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

41 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Varys would have us believe that he snatched Aegon from Tywin’s metaphorical fingers.  

So he did. There are more candidates than I first thought!

There is also Yoren, who smuggled Arya out of King's Landing.

I can't yet think why any of these would need to be foreshadowed by a cat described as a king -

• Aerys is old and evil and a king - we know that already, we don't need a cat.
  • Catelyn is a 'Cat', but not a king.
  • Yoren  is 'black' and quite possibly a bastard, but not king of anything.
  • Varys - I don't know - do people think he's Blackfyre?
  • Any more?

[ETA: A point in favour of Varys - Aegon is a little Targ, a little dragon; a little bird would be a good image for him. Even a roast bird - Dany dreams of being roasted in flames often enough. ]

42 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I always read that part as some sort of foreshadowing snatch from Tywin as well. 

The only thing I can think of in this moment is when Cat snatches Jaime, the golden child. Jaime was once a hope for Tywin to continue the Lannister name, but a lot changed when Jaime returned. Part of that is the conflict of interest of Tywin's influence with the Red Wedding, while on the other "hand" Jaime is trying to bring the Stark girls home. 

(Brief version because I am on my phone) 

And actually to expand on this Tywin /Red Wedding/Harrenhal part a little more, we also have Arya release the northern men in the weasel soup plot. Another snatch from Tywin. :devil:

@Springwatch my phone is acting weird, but I wanted to take a minute and expand on this part I was thinking. 

15 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

So he did. There are more candidates than I first thought!

There is also Yoren, who smuggled Arya out of King's Landing.

I can't yet think why any of these would need to be foreshadowed by a cat described as a king -

• Aerys is old and evil and a king - we know that already, we don't need a cat.
  • Catelyn is a 'Cat', but not a king.
  • Yoren  is 'black' and quite possibly a bastard, but not king of anything.
  • Any more?

Because thinks he has the power (a king), maybe because he was hand for so long and is there is that saying that the hand truly rules. Tywin thinks he is in power but it is really the other people who are the kings (the ones with power). 

6 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Because thinks he has the power (a king), maybe because he was hand for so long and the hand is there is that saying that the hand truly rules. Tywin thinks he is in power but it is really the other people who are the kings (the ones with power). 

Yes - that sounds like the best angle to take on this. And not a single cat, but a whole fuzzy thought-cloud of cats. What is very clear though, is that Tywin - who I thought was so competent - actually has very careless hands.

Here's a brain teaser for us.

The members of House Dayne decide who among them is fit to wield Dawn and assume the title of Sword of the Morning. But we only know of three members left, so how would they decide?

Draw straws?
Give it to the guy who's big enough to handle it?
Darkstar and Edric vote, with Allryia in reserve as a tie-breaker?
George invents more Daynes?

38 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Here's a brain teaser for us.

The members of House Dayne decide who among them is fit to wield Dawn and assume the title of Sword of the Morning. But we only know of three members left, so how would they decide?

Draw straws?
Give it to the guy who's big enough to handle it?
Darkstar and Edric vote, with Allryia in reserve as a tie-breaker?
George invents more Daynes?

I would doubt there is a vote. When the Lord or Lady of House Dayne decides some member of the house is worthy the sword is bestowed on a new wielder. If no one in the present family is worthy the sword and the title "Sword of the Morning" waits for the birth of new Dayne who is worthy. My guess.

27 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

I would doubt there is a vote. When the Lord or Lady of House Dayne decides some member of the house is worthy the sword is bestowed on a new wielder. If no one in the present family is worthy the sword and the title "Sword of the Morning" waits for the birth of new Dayne who is worthy. My guess.

This is what George said about it:

the Sword of the Morning is always a member of House Dayne, someone who is deemed worthy of wielding Dawn as decided within the House, that whoever it is would have to earn the right to wield it.

Not exactly clear but it sounds to me like more than just the Lord or Lady is involved. I suppose it wouldn't have to be done by vote though. They could just put contenders through a series of challenges. Or maybe smoke some rare Essosi herb and compare visions.

46 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

This is what George said about it:

Not exactly clear but it sounds to me like more than just the Lord or Lady is involved. I suppose it wouldn't have to be done by vote though. They could just put contenders through a series of challenges. Or maybe smoke some rare Essosi herb and compare visions.

All possible, but I think my rather drab and unexciting option more likely. I'd say George's phrase "as decided in the house" is to point out the king, the Prince or Princess of Dorne, or the High Septon, and the like, have no say on the subject.

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Petyr snatched Sansa, a little bird, from Tywin’s metaphorical fingers. 

"That's the real king of this castle right there," one of the gold cloaks had told her. "Older than sin and twice as mean. One time, the king was feasting the queen's father, and that black bastard hopped up on the table and snatched a roast quail right out of Lord Tywin's fingers. Robert laughed so hard he like to burst. You stay away from that one, child."

1 hour ago, Lord Wraith said:

"That's the real king of this castle right there," one of the gold cloaks had told her. "Older than sin and twice as mean. One time, the king was feasting the queen's father, and that black bastard hopped up on the table and snatched a roast quail right out of Lord Tywin's fingers. Robert laughed so hard he like to burst. You stay away from that one, child."

Shouda warned the little bird...

7 hours ago, Springwatch said:

<snip

<snip

Some do but more common is the idea that he's from Aerion Brightflame's line, either through little Maegor, or a bastard Aerion fathered in Lys during his exile.

3 hours ago, Oakhearts head said:

Are any of the the Stony Dornish houses (namely House Yronwood and House Dayne) noted to have any Rhoynish influence in their accent, or is there virtually no discernible difference between the Stony Dornishmen and the other Southern regions?

We really don't know. We haven't really seen enough of those characters IMO. I'd say House Yronwood would probably have the least of the Rhoynish influence if there is any. Nymeria's third husband was a Dayne so I am sure they picked up some Rhoynish customs.

I know Dorne has its own accents but how much of it is clearly Rhoynish or how much of it is simply Dornish, since Dorne has always been culturally seperate from the other kingdoms.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:57 AM, Springwatch said:

I've been thinking about this quote about the black cat, from AGOT:

Some people have linked the cat with Jon, some with Rhaenys or Bloodraven - lots of good theories, but the roast quail story puzzles me.

So my question is: has anyone at any time stolen some prize from Lord Tywin? Snatched it out of his metaphorical fingers?

I like the both @The Fattest Leech's and @Lost Melnibonean's suggestions!

Also, in a sense Rhaenys' grandmother snatched Rhaegar from Tywin when the prince married Elia instead of Cersei.

10 hours ago, Therae said:

I like the both @The Fattest Leech's and @Lost Melnibonean's suggestions!

Also, in a sense Rhaenys' grandmother snatched Rhaegar from Tywin when the prince married Elia instead of Cersei.

Good ole Princess of Dorne. Shame we don't know her name.

Archived