Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

9 hours ago, SFDanny said:

I agree we can't answer this with what information we have, but I doubt Tyrion would not have recognized him during his stay at Castle Black, if he was the same septon.

Yeap. Strike one against. 

1 hour ago, maudisdottir said:

Thanks so much, this is exactly what I'm looking for. What about the North? I'm interested in Jon's reaction, but I can't remember if he's even heard the rumours.

I can't recall Jon having heard any rumors (news reaches the Wall late, and Stannis doesn't seem to have heard any rumors before sailing north). The Braavosi Tycho mentions talks of dragons to Jon at Castle Black, but Jon's reaction suggests that he doesn't know, anything

“The Lysene pirate? Some say he has returned to his old haunts, this is so. And Lord Redwyne’s war fleet creeps through the Broken Arm as well. On its way home, no doubt. But these men and their ships are well-known to us. No, these other sails … from farther east, perhaps … one hears queer talk of dragons.”
“Would that we had one here. A dragon might warm things up a bit.”

Nothing in Davos' chapters from ASOS or Melisandre's from ADWD hint at news of Daenerys and her dragons having reached Stannis before he set sail from Dragonstone (important, as there is a lot of talk about waking dragons from stone and how useful it would be to have a dragon to use in battle in Davos' chapters). News reaches the Wall late, and no one is like to tell the Night's Watch about rumours told by sailors during times of war. But in Davos 2, ADWD, Davos hears talk of Daenerys and her dragons when at White Harbor:

“I do,” said the man who’d started all the talk of dragons, a Braavosi oarsman in a somber woolen jack. “When we were down to Pentos we moored beside a trader called the Sloe-Eyed Maid, and I got to drinking with her captain’s steward. He told me a pretty tale about some slip of a girl who come aboard in Qarth, to try and book passage back to Westeros for her and three dragons. Silver hair she had, and purple eyes. ‘I took her to the captain my own self,’ this steward swore to me, ‘but he wasn’t having none of that. There’s more profit in cloves and saffron, he tells me, and spices won’t set fire to your sails.’ ”

Davos doesn't express recognition, and later thinks

I'll take Devan with me. Steff and Stanny too if they're old enough. We'll see these dragons and all the wonders of the world.

So it reads to me that White Harbor is the first time that Davos hears about the dragons, but somehow doesn't realize that the girl with silver hair and purple eyes being discussed is Daenerys.

Can't recall anything about Sansa learning of rumors concerning dragons, Targaryens, or even the slave revolts in Slaver's Bay for that matter. Baelish might know, though, considering his mention of "three queens" in AFFC, but it is by no means certain. (It deserves mention that Baelish was present at the small council meeting where Varys reported rumors about a three-headed dragon in Qarth.)

5 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

So it reads to me that White Harbor is the first time that Davos hears about the dragons, but somehow doesn't realize that the girl with silver hair and purple eyes being discussed is Daenerys.

He should realize that. After all, that oarsman was responding to Davos clarifying who Daenerys was. Some additional context:

"Wasn't there some princess too?" asked a whore. She was the same one who'd said the meat was grey.

"Two," said the old fellow. "One was Rhaegar's daughter, t'other was his sister."

"Daena," said the riverman. "That was the sister. Daena of Dragonstone. Or was it Daera?"

"Daena was old King Baelor's wife," said the oarsman. "I rowed on a ship named for her once. The Princess Daena."

"If she was a king's wife, she'd be a queen."

"Baelor never had a queen. He was holy."

"Don't mean he never wed his sister," said the whore. "He just never bedded her, is all. When they made him king, he locked her up in a tower. His other sisters too. There was three."

"Daenela," the proprietor said loudly. "That was her name. The Mad King's daughter, I mean, not Baelor's bloody wife."

"Daenerys," Davos said. "She was named for the Daenerys who wed the Prince of Dorne during the reign of Daeron the Second. I don't know what became of her."

"I do," said the man who'd started all the talk of dragons, a Braavosi oarsman in a somber woolen jack. "When we were down to Pentos we moored beside a trader called the Sloe-Eyed Maid, and I got to drinking with her captain's steward. He told me a pretty tale about some slip of a girl who come aboard in Qarth, to try and book passage back to Westeros for her and three dragons. Silver hair she had, and purple eyes. 'I took her to the captain my own self,' this steward swore to me, 'but he wasn't having none of that. There's more profit in cloves and saffron, he tells me, and spices won't set fire to your sails.' "

Laughter swept the cellar. Davos did not join in. He knew what had befallen the Sloe-Eyed Maid. The gods were cruel to let a man sail across half the world, then send him chasing a false light when he was almost home. That captain was a bolder man than me, he thought, as he made his way to the door. One voyage to the east, and a man could live as rich as a lord until the end of his days. When he'd been younger, Davos had dreamed of making such voyages himself, but the years went dancing by like moths around a flame, and somehow the time had never been quite right. One day, he told himself. One day when the war is done and King Stannis sits the Iron Throne and has no more need of onion knights. I'll take Devan with me. Steff and Stanny too if they're old enough. We'll see these dragons and all the wonders of the world. (Davos II, ADWD)

@maudisdottir: In regards to characters first hearing about Dany's dragons, there's also Euron referencing them at the Kingsmoot:

"I know as much of war as you do, Crow's Eye," Asha said. "Aegon Targaryen conquered Westeros with dragons."

"And so shall we," Euron Greyjoy promised. "That horn you heard I found amongst the smoking ruins that were Valyria, where no man has dared to walk but me. You heard its call, and felt its power. It is a dragon horn, bound with bands of red gold and Valyrian steel graven with enchantments. The dragonlords of old sounded such horns, before the Doom devoured them. With this horn, ironmen, I can bind dragons to my will."

Asha laughed aloud. "A horn to bind goats to your will would be of more use, Crow's Eye. There are no more dragons."

"Again, girl, you are wrong. There are three, and I know where to find them. Surely that is worth a driftwood crown." (The Drowned Man, AFFC)

^Thanks. Davos definitely knows it's Dany, judging by that entire passage.

I was curious when re-reading the Oldtown Prologue with the mysterious glass candles and the sailors' stories from the East, and  the enigmatic Alleras/Sarella Sand saying "the dragon has three heads". I remembered that Cersei was dismissive, but it got me wondering how everyone else reacted to the news, and of course Jon in particular.

5 hours ago, Shmedricko said:

He should realize that. After all, that oarsman was responding to Davos clarifying who Daenerys was. Some additional context:

I know he had just provided her name. But considering all the emphasize on waking dragons from stone and using dragons in battle in Davos's chapters, it is extremely odd that he doesn't think about it anymore later on.

I have two questions, though I appreciate they may not be small ones!

The first is, is there a canonical listing somewhere of misprints and errors in the printed books? Some examples of what I mean by misprints versus errors:
Wrong words: in the Harper Voyager printing of AGoT, on page 29, last line, the 2nd word is ‘tore’ — but in context this is an obvious mistake for ‘torc’.
Misspelled names: same book, on page 51, the 6th line begins, “Daeren Targaryen was only fourteen …”, which is a clear error for King Daeron I.
Errors of fact, in-universe: same book, page 800, 4th line, “… Rhaenyra, a year his elder …”, which is in error, as it was the ‘heir for a day’ who was a year the elder; Rhaenyra is ten years the elder of Aegon II.

My second question is, if anyone has compiled an ancestry table of the Targaryen genealogy? (A search on ‘Targaryen genealogy’ yielded some theories by Preston Jacobs which are not the sort of thing I’m looking for.) Basically I’m looking to see how much of an ancestry table could be filled in for the Targs, since they have been in Westeros for over four centuries in which time there is a well-documented and continuous traceable lineage.

Edited to add: spoilering my blather about the Targ genealogy for purposes of length.

Spoiler

Starting with Rhaegar/Viserys/Daenerys, we know a full male line ascending through eighteen generations, back to Aenar the Exile (notwithstanding some ambiguity in the father of Daeron II being either Aegon IV or Aemon the Dragonknight), and fifteen of the eighteen mothers of the members of that line, which includes nine Targaryens, two Velaryons, and wives from Houses Blackwood, Dayne, Martell, and Rogare. Eight of the Targaryen mothers were married to their siblings (the ninth was Queen Rhaenyra, who married her roguish uncle Prince Daemon, which brings in two other Targaryen ancestors off the main line, and members of House Arryn).

Once we get away from the main line however, the number of known ascendents winnows out much more rapidly than would be expected for a real historical genealogical table (even allowing for the Targaryen’s exceptional penchant for inbreeding), so the total number of ascendents ends up being a very small number – with only six others outside the main line, we know the names of only 39 ascendents (though we know or can surmise some surnames, and guess others).

The main line of ascent (the numbers correspond to an ahnentafel listing):

Current generation: 1. Daenerys Stormborn;
1st generation: 2. Aerys II — 3. Rhaella;
2nd generation: 4. Jaehaerys II — 5. Shaera; (n.b. 6. same person as 4., 7. same as 5.)
3rd generation: 8. Aegon V — 9. Betha Blackwood; (n.b. 10., 12., 14., same as 8.; etc.)
4th generation: 16. Maekar I — 17. Dyanna Dayne;
5th generation: 32. Daeron II — 33. Myriah Martell;
6th generation: 64. either Aegon IV or Aemon the Dragonknight — 65. Naerys;
7th generation: 128. Viserys II — 129. Larra Rogare;
8th generation: 256. Daemon — 257. Rhaenyra, the Half-Year Queen;
9th generation: 512. Baelon (the Spring Prince) — 513. Alyssa Targaryen;
10th generation: 1024. Jaehaerys I — 1025. Alysanne;
11th generation: 2048. Aenys I — 2049. Alyssa Velaryon;
12th generation: 4096. Aegon I the Dragon — 4097. Rhaenys;
13th generation: 8192. Aerion — 8193. Valaena Velaryon;
14th generation: 16384. Daemion;
15th generation: 32758. Aerys;
16th generation: 65536. Aegon — 65537. Elaena;
17th generation: 131072. Gaemon the Glorious — 131073. Daenys the Dreamer;
18th generation: 262144. Aenar the Exile.

Aside from the main line, we know of:

7th generation: 258. Lysandro Rogare (the father of Larra);

Rhaenyra’s ascendents,
9th generation: 514. Viserys I — 515. Aemma Arryn;
10th generation: 1030. Rodrik Arryn — 1031. Daella Targaryen;

and Alyssa Velaryon’s father in the 12th generation, 4098. Aethon Velaryon.

Significantly, we don’t have any genealogies for the ancestries of Betha Blackwood, Dyanna Dayne, or Myriah Martell which means there would be large gaps in the entries starting at the 4th generation.

11 hours ago, Catelyn Cerwyn said:

I have two questions, though I appreciate they may not be small ones!

The first is, is there a canonical listing somewhere of misprints and errors in the printed books? Some examples of what I mean by misprints versus errors:
Wrong words: in the Harper Voyager printing of AGoT, on page 29, last line, the 2nd word is ‘tore’ — but in context this is an obvious mistake for ‘torc’.
Misspelled names: same book, on page 51, the 6th line begins, “Daeren Targaryen was only fourteen …”, which is a clear error for King Daeron I.
Errors of fact, in-universe: same book, page 800, 4th line, “… Rhaenyra, a year his elder …”, which is in error, as it was the ‘heir for a day’ who was a year the elder; Rhaenyra is ten years the elder of Aegon II.

My second question is, if anyone has compiled an ancestry table of the Targaryen genealogy? (A search on ‘Targaryen genealogy’ yielded some theories by Preston Jacobs which are not the sort of thing I’m looking for.) Basically I’m looking to see how much of an ancestry table could be filled in for the Targs, since they have been in Westeros for over four centuries in which time there is a well-documented and continuous traceable lineage.

Edited to add: spoilering my blather about the Targ genealogy for purposes of length.

Hide contents

Starting with Rhaegar/Viserys/Daenerys, we know a full male line ascending through eighteen generations, back to Aenar the Exile (notwithstanding some ambiguity in the father of Daeron II being either Aegon IV or Aemon the Dragonknight), and fifteen of the eighteen mothers of the members of that line, which includes nine Targaryens, two Velaryons, and wives from Houses Blackwood, Dayne, Martell, and Rogare. Eight of the Targaryen mothers were married to their siblings (the ninth was Queen Rhaenyra, who married her roguish uncle Prince Daemon, which brings in two other Targaryen ancestors off the main line, and members of House Arryn).

Once we get away from the main line however, the number of known ascendents winnows out much more rapidly than would be expected for a real historical genealogical table (even allowing for the Targaryen’s exceptional penchant for inbreeding), so the total number of ascendents ends up being a very small number – with only six others outside the main line, we know the names of only 39 ascendents (though we know or can surmise some surnames, and guess others).

The main line of ascent goes:
1st generation: Aerys II–Rhaella;
2nd generation: Jaehaerys II–Shaera;
3rd generation: Aegon V–Betha Blackwood;
4th generation: Maekar I–Dyanna Dayne;
5th generation: Daeron II–Myriah Martell;
6th generation: either Aegon IV or Aemon the Dragonknight–Naerys;
7th generation: Viserys II–Larra Rogare;
8th generation: Daemon–Rhaenyra, the Half-Year Queen;
9th generation: Baelon (the Spring Prince)–Alyssa Targaryen;
10th generation: Jaehaerys I–Alysanne;
11th generation: Aenys I–Alyssa Velaryon;
12th generation: Aegon I the Dragon–Rhaenys;
13th generation: Aerion–Valaena Velaryon;
14th generation: Daemion;
15th generation: Aerys;
16th generation: Aegon–Elaena;
17th generation: Gaemon the Glorious–Daenys the Dreamer;
18th generation: Aenar the Exile.

Aside from the main line, we know of: Lysandro Rogare (the father of Larra); Rhaenyra’s ascendents, Viserys I, Aemma Arryn, Rodrik Arryn, and Daella Targaryen; and Alyssa Velaryon’s father, Aethon. Significantly, we don’t have any genealogies for the ancestries of Betha Blackwood, Dyanna Dayne, or Myriah Martell.

The World of Ice and Fire provides such table, but if you don't have it, The Wiki of Ice and Fire provides such list as well: you can find it here, under section 'Targaryen Family Tree'.

Here is a thread listing many known errors in The World of Ice and Fire: 

I'm certain similar threads about ASOIAF exist, but the only ones I found are in Polish, so that won't help you much. But googling or using the search option on this forum should bring something on this topic.

And welcome to the forums Lady Cerwyn! 

Blue Tiger, many thanks for your welcome. I had found the list of errata for TWoI&F without any problem, but in searching for an equivalent for the fiction works I did not meet with success. As for the genealogies, I mean an exhaustive list of ascendents (as opposed to tables of descent), such as you’ll find for real-life royal families on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestry_of_Elizabeth_II

(I suspect it’s not really possible because the genealogies we have from GRRM only concentrate on the main line of descent.)

Edited to add: I just learned the historical word for this kind of table – Ahnentafel.

The Fattest Leech – the Dothraki call all Westerosi Andals, as their term for Westeros is Rhaesh Andahli, the land of the Andals. From the first Daenerys chapter:

Somewhere beyond the sunset, across the narrow sea, lay a land of green hills and flowered plains and great rushing rivers, where towers of dark stone rose amidst magnificent blue-grey mountains, and armored knights rode to battle beneath the banners of their lords. The Dothraki called that land Rhaesh Andahli, the land of the Andals. In the Free Cities, they talked of Westeros and the Sunset Kingdoms. Her brother had a simpler name. “Our land,” he called it. The words were like a prayer with him. If he said them enough, the gods were sure to hear. “Ours by blood right, taken from us by treachery, but ours still, ours forever. You do not steal from the dragon, oh, no. The dragon remembers.”

(Khal Drogo addresses Jorah only once as Jorah the Andal, toward the end of the sixth of the Daenerys chapters after the assassination attempt by the wineseller in the market.)

7 minutes ago, Catelyn Cerwyn said:

The Fattest Leech – the Dothraki call all Westerosi Andals, as their term for Westeros is Rhaesh Andahli, the land of the Andals. From the first Daenerys chapter:

Thanks. That is actually what made me ask this question- I happened to start a re-read/listen of the books and when I again came across that bit.

But as always, there are a larger reasons for my "basic" questions... :devil:

4 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I'm sure this has been asked, and I did do a few searches that went no where, but, why does Khal Drogo call Jorah "Jorah the Andal"?

It's the same reason persons not of color in Los Angeles are called Anglos. 

5 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I'm sure this has been asked, and I did do a few searches that went no where, but, why does Khal Drogo call Jorah "Jorah the Andal"?

I don't think anyone ever explained the differences between the First Men, Andals, and Rhoynar to him. He probably thinks all Westeros are Andals and they are the largest grouping so it would make sense IMO.

Just now, Lord Wraith said:

I don't think anyone ever explained the differences between the First Men, Andals, and Rhoynar to him. He probably thinks all Westeros are Andals and they are the largest grouping so it would make sense IMO.

Yeah, I agree. I just had some ideas rolling around in the ol' liquor cabinet brain and wanted to make sure I was not forgetting anything. How you and Catelyn (and I guess Lost Melnibonean if I havta) explained it sounds about right to me :cheers:

3 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Yeah, I agree. I just had some ideas rolling around in the ol' liquor cabinet brain and wanted to make sure I was not forgetting anything. How you and Catelyn (and I guess Lost Melnibonean if I havta) explained it sounds about right to me :cheers:

No worries, also Andalos, aka the area the Andals originated from is near the territory or has been taken by the Dothraki in the century of blood. I need to pull out the World Book to check, so the Dothraki have conquered or at least had contact with that culture or the leftovers that were there.

I supposed that makes me wonder what happened to all the other Andals left in Essos... its probably in the World Book. I need to stop lending it to friends.

1 minute ago, Lord Wraith said:

No worries, also Andalos, aka the area the Andals originated from is near the territory or has been taken by the Dothraki in the century of blood. I need to pull out the World Book to check, so the Dothraki have conquered or at least had contact with that culture or the leftovers that were there.

I supposed that makes me wonder what happened to all the other Andals left in Essos... its probably in the World Book. I need to stop lending it to friends.

They're only friends if they return the book! :P

8 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

They're only friends if they return the book! :P

True friends would have their own copies of A Game of Thrones, The Hedge Knight, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, The Sworn Sword, The Mystery Knight, A Dance with Dragons, The Princess and the Queen, The Rogue Prince, and The World of Ice and Fire. Otherwise, what would you have to talk about? 

On 19-4-2017 at 0:38 PM, Lord Varys said:

@Rhaenys_Targaryen:

There is no textual evidence I'm aware of that comments on Aethon Velaryon's ancestry nor is there any confirmation that he is indeed the son of Daemon Velaryon (I). However, we can, of course, speculate that this is the case. The fact that there is another Daemon around as Lord of Driftmark and Master of Ships - a man whose defection to Prince Jaehaerys is a major blow to the regime of Maegor the Cruel - later on suggests that the man might have been named after his grandfather who died during the Conquest just as the Sea Snake was later named after the first Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

Alyssa Velaryon seems to be as old as Prince Aenys, suggesting she, too, was born in 7 AC. The Daemon chap may have been her older brother while Corlys the Kingsguard may have been Aethon's younger brother. Alyssa herself is described as 'the Lady Alyssa', the maiden daughter of the Lord of the Tides, Aethon Velaryon, King Aegon's Lord Admiral and Master of Ships.' There is also a description of sorts. 'She shared his [Aenys'] silvery hair and purple eyes'. However, we get know indication or confirmation that Alyssa Velaryon had a Targaryen mother. What we get is the standard explanation that the Velaryons are family descended of Valyrian stock, too, and that the Conqueror's own mother had been a Velaryon, making Aenys and Alyssa cousins.

In fact, as I hope to have marked in my original report we don't even know whether the guy is spelled 'Aethon'. It is most likely spelling on the basis of George's reading (just as 'Hubert' is the most likeliest spelling of the Arryn cousin who was given the Vale after the deaths of Ronnel, his children, and Jonos the Kinslayer) but until the publication of 'The Sons of the Dragon' this is not confirmed.

By the way, there are hints how we can really put down quite a few events in the time line. Maegor was born in the first half of 12 AC not only because Visenya announced her pregnancy in 11 AC but also because she gave Dark Sister to Maegor as a nameday gift in 25 AC, half a year before his wedding in the same year. Quicksilver also seems to have hatched in the year of Aenys' birth (7 AC). It also seems that Alyssa did not get pregnant at once after the wedding. Rhaena (Aenys had chosen the name for his daughter, by the way) was born in 23 AC and when Visenya suggested that the garbled question of succession - whether Maegor or Rhaena came first - should be settled by means of  a betrothal between Maegor and Rhaena Maegor had just turned twelve, meaning that this suggestion would have come only in 24 AC.

Maegor and Ceryse then marry later in 25 AC, in the Starry Sept of Oldtown itself, with Ceryse's uncle, the High Septon, performing the rites. Trying to unmake or add to that marriage was really madness if you ask me.

The two campaigns in the Stepstones during which Maegor assisted Aethon Velaryon and Ser Osmund Strong (the Hand) occurred in 29 and 30 AC (shortly after Maegor got knighted by his father at a tourney at Riverrun in 28 AC), and the guy against whom they fought was not named Salassor Saan (as the wiki claims) but instead Sargasso Saan (a much better name if you ask me).

And I realize we have to change the hatchling count as well. There were half a dozen hatchlings during the later years of Aegon's reign, not half a dozen (Quicksilver included) since the Conquest. That means that we have at least six new dragons during the reign of the Conqueror not just six.

Lord Varys, you gave a couple of interesting new pieces of information here that were absent from your notes of The Sons of the Dragon as read at Loncon. I'm curious, do you by any chance recall any other details? :)

3 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Lord Varys, you gave a couple of interesting new pieces of information here that were absent from your notes of The Sons of the Dragon as read at Loncon. I'm curious, do you by any chance recall any other details? :)

I think I already mentioned once that Maegor's first tutor at arms was the new master-at-arms on Dragonstone, chosen by Visenya. He was a Corbray, 'as deadly a knight as could be found in all the Seven Kingdoms'. His given name is not clear. It may be Gawen, like the Grand Maester, but that's just a guess.

Maegor was also always at his mother's side when she held court on Dragonstone (and presumably also at KL when/if she was there in Aegon's absence), indicating that Maegor was just as much Visenya's heir from the start as Aenys was Aegon's.

What I can talk a little bit about and what people seem to have gained a sort of twisted view on is the relationship between the Targaryens and the Faith.

People seem to think it was more or less all fine between the Faith and the Targaryens during the reign of the Conqueror, and that he should have been harder on them and perhaps even resolved the simmering issue. But in fact the Targaryens seem to have been lucky that they got through with their conquest thing in the first place.

Gyldayn gives a small excursion on the aftermath of the Conquest and how a majority of the Most Devout actually expected the High Septon to speak against the Targaryens during the Conquest and resist them when they were approaching Oldtown. It came somewhat as a surprise that the High Septon saw the light, so to speak, and convinced Lord Manfred Hightower to open the gates and do Aegon homage as his king. Many of the Most Devout were 'most displeased' at that turn of events.

The key sentence there is that these people believed that 'familiarity is the father of acceptance'. The contested issue was, of course, the fact that Aegon had taken both his sisters to wife. The Faith's doctrines condemn both incest (defined as sexual intercourse between father and daughter, mother and son, and brother and sister) and polygamy and this was a problem from the very beginning.

The High Septon who had crowned, anointed, and blessed the Conqueror in Oldtown died in 11 AC, and by that time the Realm had indeed begun to get accustomed to the Aegon and his queen(s). Aegon really continued to suck up to the Faith, confirming all their privileges, exempting them from taxation, and affirming their traditional right to be tried only by a court of their own peers.

There were six High Septons from the Conquest to the time of Aegon's death, and while Aegon honored them all it is said that the question of incestuous marriage simmered behind the courtesies like poison. These people did not like each other. And while the High Septons during Aegon's reign did not speak out against Aegon's incestuous marriages they also did never declare them lawful. It was basically the elephant in the room nobody mentioned. But the doctrines and teachings never changed. And the humbler members of the Faith continued to preach that it was sinful when a brother slept with his sister or a man took two wives.

I think that is an important thing people should consider when discussing the whole matter of the Faith Militant Uprising. The establishment of the Faith - the Most Devout, the Faith Militant, and the more radical humbler members - basically hated and despised the Targaryen abominations from the start. The Conqueror could keep them quiet but only on their terms, which were that the abominable Valyrian ways would not continue. When that fell through first with Maegor insisting that as scion of 'the blood of the dragon' he stood about the scriptures of the Faith which only ruled 'lesser men', and could do whatever the hell he wanted just as his royal father had, and then with Aenys I deciding to marry Rhaena to Aegon things really exploded.

The Targaryens were lucky that the sons of the Dragon did indeed not have any sisters to marry. Had Aegon had any daughters things would have exploded much sooner because it is very obvious that they would have married a daughter of Visenya to Aenys and/or a daughter of Rhaenys to Maegor to prevent the kind of succession they later had during Maegor's reign.

Archived