Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 hour ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Do you include ladies of the night in this question?

Yes, sorta. I was thinking more along the lines of the general noble ladies of Westeros. I was just reading a really interesting article about something else that made me think of this ASOIAF story. 

1 hour ago, Prof. Cecily said:

From what I can tell those Tyroshi swordsmen use more paint and artifice than any ladies.

Yeah, they sure do :lol:  However, that does make me wonder about this idea that is rolling around in my head. 

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Do we ever read about face makeup being used by one of the ladies in the story? I feel like we have, but then I feel like I could be misremembering something. 

Thanks! 

Does powder count as face make up? If it does both Sansa and Lysa used it.

A Game of Thrones - Sansa VI    "I will need hot water for my bath, please," she told them, "and perfume, and some powder to hide this bruise." The right side of her face was swollen and beginning to ache, but she knew Joffrey would want her to be beautiful.

A Storm of Swords - Sansa VI      "You may come kiss my cheek, Alayne." Dutifully she approached and knelt beside the bed. Her aunt was drenched in sweet scent, though under that was a sour milky smell. Her cheek tasted of paint and powder.

"Paint" would be a reference to greasepaint, ie foundation. So Lysa was really slapping it on if it was thick enough for Sansa to smell it.

I'm curious now too whether we hear of any women painting their lips or cheeks red. That would be the more obvious thing to do - even smallfolk can crush up plants or beetles or whatever they have in Westeros to make red colouring.

19 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

"Paint" would be a reference to greasepaint, ie foundation. So Lysa was really slapping it on if it was thick enough for Sansa to smell it.

I'm curious now too whether we hear of any women painting their lips or cheeks red. That would be the more obvious thing to do - even smallfolk can crush up plants or beetles or whatever they have in Westeros to make red colouring.

What Sansa smelled on her auntie was sour milk that could not be disguised by the smell of perfume.

Back before there was hot and cold running water coming out of a faucet people did what is call washing high and low. Evidently Lysa didn't wash that day.

I would think that there was stuff available to the women of Planetos to paint lips, brows and lashes especially since there were mummer shows traveling around.

The broads in the olden days used to pinch their cheeks and bite their lips to add a bit of color.  Sounds a little painful.

4 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

What Sansa smelled on her auntie was sour milk that could not be disguised by the smell of perfume.

Yes, I read that wrong. Sansa didn't "smell" the paint, she

Her cheek tasted of paint and powder.

it. I still think Lysa was laying it on thick if Sansa could taste it.

Just now, maudisdottir said:

Yes, I read that wrong. Sansa didn't "smell" the paint, she

it. I still think Lysa was laying it on thick if Sansa could taste it.

Don't we get something about all this from Cat? When she first meets Lysa in AGoT, doesn't she think about Lysa having too much ''make-up' on? I may be inventing misremembering it... 

1 minute ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Back to the make up thawg, pumpkin is not a good color especially for Caucasians  It took a while for companies to get that insta tan correct.

I don't think they're there yet! :D

Question: where exactly is the Redgrass Field? We know roughly where Whitewalls was, and Bloodraven vows to pull it down by stone and sow the ground with salt rather than have it remain as a place for Blackfyre sympathisers to make pilgrimages. The Redgrass Field however seems to be worthy of some recognition as a place of historical note, but the specific location is never mentioned. Has GRRM mentioned where the final battle was fought?

23 minutes ago, Catelyn Cerwyn said:

Question: where exactly is the Redgrass Field? We know roughly where Whitewalls was, and Bloodraven vows to pull it down by stone and sow the ground with salt rather than have it remain as a place for Blackfyre sympathisers to make pilgrimages. The Redgrass Field however seems to be worthy of some recognition as a place of historical note, but the specific location is never mentioned. Has GRRM mentioned where the final battle was fought?

Seems the exact location has not been established yet.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Redgrass_Field

On 5/13/2017 at 2:07 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

Do we ever read about face makeup being used by one of the ladies in the story? I feel like we have, but then I feel like I could be misremembering something. 

Thanks! 

I think Bowen Marsh once referred to Satin as a painted Catamite. I think Jon would have mentioned it though.

5 hours ago, Catelyn Cerwyn said:

We do not know the exact location, but from and AMA on reddit we do know that it is located somewhere near King's Landing.

17 hours ago, Falcon2909 said:

Do we have any paintings in the universe? I know there's one of Margaery's likeness. But who was it painted by? Do artists exist in TWOIAF? Are these artists commoners or of noble blood?

The only painter we meet that I can remember is the woman in Duskendale who repaints Brienne's shield. She also painted the doors of her home. She seems to be a commoner and not in service to any house. It's not mentioned if she does any other kind of paintings, e.g. oil on canvas.

Aside from that, the painting in the locket that Renly shows to Ned is described as "a miniature painted in the vivid Myrish style." Maybe fine art painting is an activity that's primarily done by craftsmen from across the Narrow Sea, just like how the best glassblowers and armourers come from the Free Cities.

Archived