Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

17 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

What's the current status of House Dondarrion? If its head was outlawed, shouldn't Blackhaven be declared an enemy of the Crown?

I think the crown presumes that Dondarrion is still alive. Has he already been attainted or condemned to death? 

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I think the crown presumes that Dondarrion is still alive. Has he already been attainted or condemned to death? 

Not sure and I don't have the books with me. Was he deemed dead after Gregor Clegane's ambush? Is the 'lighting lord' only PRESSUMED to be Beric?

Oh, haha. Now I read correctly your post. Yes, I start from that to make the question here.

1. The Crown declared Dondarrion dead and commands Blackhaven (castellan or Beric's heir) to fall suit. Text doesn't mention any of this, I'm nearly sure.

2. The Crown declares Dondarrion is alive and that he is the leader of the Brotherhood, hence making him (and pressumably his House) traitors and enemies.

3. Crown thinks Dondarrion is alive but missing. 

In any way, Blackhaven status is not disclosed (I think!). Not even after gazillion of knees bending after the Blackwater, a moment where the Crown updated loyalties around the continent.

11 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Not sure and I don't have the books with me. Was he deemed dead after Gregor Clegane's ambush? Is the 'lighting lord' only PRESSUMED to be Beric?

Jaime, who appears to be the king's man in the Riverlands, seems to presume that the Lightning Lord is Beric and that he is alive. 

• 2 weeks later...

Really small question here that I want to get a more thorough answer to...

are all decrees, laws, proclamations, etc that a king or queen makes logged by a maester and stored/filed at the Citadel (Oldtown or somewhere at the Keep)? Or, does a king/queen just “declare” something and then the realm just takes the word of the word that was passed on— and that nothing was lost in translation? 

I do know that certain events in history supposedly had maesters at the events, the agreement between Torrhen and Aegon for one, but what about other times? 

On 11/17/2017 at 3:04 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

are all decrees, laws, proclamations, etc that a king or queen makes logged by a maester and stored/filed at the Citadel (Oldtown or somewhere at the Keep)? Or, does a king/queen just “declare” something and then the realm just takes the word of the word that was passed on— and that nothing was lost in translation? 

That depends on the monarch in question. Up until Jahaerys I, there different kingdoms still had their own laws for the most part. He seems to have made the first common law for all.

It's implied that the Grand Maester (and other maesters) are responsible for recording the laws. Most decrees seem to be written down for reasons of proving that they happened (such as Robert's proclamation that Ned was now the regent).

But there isn't any clear answer as to what they record and what they don't.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

I do know that certain events in history supposedly had maesters at the events, the agreement between Torrhen and Aegon for one, but what about other times? 

Since this whole world is based on the times surrounding the War of the Roses, then yes, everything that took place at court and other formal settings in which that king's words (aka, the law) was uttered is written down and disseminated throughout the realm. This is not only necessary to effective run the kingdom, but it preserves these actions for future historians.

This is how we know about virtually every kingdom dating back to ancient Mesopotamia: decipher the records and you get a complete history of all the important events.

5 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Since this whole world is based on the times surrounding the War of the Roses, then yes, everything that took place at court and other formal settings in which that king's words (aka, the law) was uttered is written down and disseminated throughout the realm. This is not only necessary to effective run the kingdom, but it preserves these actions for future historians.

This is how we know about virtually every kingdom dating back to ancient Mesopotamia: decipher the records and you get a complete history of all the important events.

Thank you :cheers:

1. How long wildfire has been available? 

2. Could wildfire been used instead of dragonfire to build things? After all idea that some high dragonlady is wearing blue overalls and hardhat in middle of nowhere when her dragon is melting rocks for some roadbuilders is kind of amusing.

3. Where and when Alchemist's Guild was founded? Or could also that been originally from Valyria?

It is said that Ironborn ships are like kingdoms where every captain is a king.

What happens to Ironborn ships when its owner dies? Is it inherited by his legitimate sons? Does bastards have right over it?

Did Theon inherited Balon's Great Kraken?

17 minutes ago, Ckram said:

It is said that Ironborn ships are like kingdoms where every captain is a king.

What happens to Ironborn ships when its owner dies? Is it inherited by his legitimate sons? Does bastards have right over it?

Did Theon inherited Balon's Great Kraken?

I expect it depends on ownership. If the captain owned the ship, surely his heir would inherit it. If he captained the ship owned by another, though, perhaps the other might prefer to have another captain it. 

It is said that Rhaegar Targaryen learned how to fight and became a skilled swordsman and jouster. But is there any evidence of him being a tested battle commander?

He commanded the loyalist in the Battle of the Trident and the rebels managed to cut a line directly to him. So I'm guessing whoever was leading that army wasn't skilled enough to preserve the commanding officer from harm.

Seeing he left two actual tested battle commanders: Gerold Hightower (War of the Ninepenny Kings) and Arthur Dayne (we at least get a succesful military campaign in where he participated: against the Kingswood Brotherhood) guarding a tower... Was Rhaegar a little soft in the head when military thinking was in the table?

@Lost Melnibonean 

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

2. Could wildfire been used instead of dragonfire to build things? After all idea that some high dragonlady is wearing blue overalls and hardhat in middle of nowhere when her dragon is melting rocks for some roadbuilders is kind of amusing.

Yandel states wildfire is "said to be a close cousin to dragonflame" (TWOIAF- The Targaryen Kings: Aerys II ).

However, this passage in AFFC, Cersei III always gets me thinking: "The pyromancers said that only three things burned hotter than their substance: dragonflame, the fires beneath the earth, and the summer sun". Thus, although I recognize the pyromancers explained using poetic license, I had the impression that wildfire is no substitute for dragonflame.

Quick question and I've looked it up, but I just wanna make sure I didn't miss something. FYI, I have not read Sons of the Dragon.

Was Rhaegar the only Targaryen born outside of King's Landing and Dragonstone? And I'm not talking about Targaryen princesses married into other houses, like Rhaelle who married a Baratheon and gave birth at Storm's End. 

17 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

It is said that Rhaegar Targaryen learned how to fight and became a skilled swordsman and jouster. But is there any evidence of him being a tested battle commander?

He commanded the loyalist in the Battle of the Trident and the rebels managed to cut a line directly to him. So I'm guessing whoever was leading that army wasn't skilled enough to preserve the commanding officer from harm.

Seeing he left two actual tested battle commanders: Gerold Hightower (War of the Ninepenny Kings) and Arthur Dayne (we at least get a succesful military campaign in where he participated: against the Kingswood Brotherhood) guarding a tower... Was Rhaegar a little soft in the head when military thinking was in the table?

There is no evidence that he was tested in battle, period. He isn't mentioned as part of the group that was chasing after the Kingswood Brotherhood, and Duskendale which might have been a taste of battle, fizzled out when Barristan rescued Aerys. That said, he did have Barristan with him who was tested, and we know next to nothing about Lewyn Martell or Jon Darry. I'm curious to know if Randyll Tarly was on the Trident or at the Siege of Storm's End. If he was at Storm's End, then he simply shouldn't have been there. Rhaegar's big mistake was in trying to cross the Trident. My personal opinion on this is that it shows impatience on his part, like he just wants this whole thing to be over and done right now.

5 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

Quick question and I've looked it up, but I just wanna make sure I didn't miss something. FYI, I have not read Sons of the Dragon.

Was Rhaegar the only Targaryen born outside of King's Landing and Dragonstone? And I'm not talking about Targaryen princesses married into other houses, like Rhaelle who married a Baratheon and gave birth at Storm's End. 

Princesses Aerea and Rhaella (the granddaughters of King Aenys I through his son Aegon and daugther Rhaena) were born at Casterly Rock in 42 AC.

Do we hear of any direwolves north of the Wall? I don't remember Jon seeing any with Mance's army, and if the Stark pups were so easy to bond with you'd imagine some of the free folk would have domesticated them by now. Even a wight-direwolf could cause a lot of damage, so you'd think the WW would have a few in their zombie army.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times already but I get lost in this thread.

4 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

Do we hear of any direwolves north of the Wall? I don't remember Jon seeing any with Mance's army, and if the Stark pups were so easy to bond with you'd imagine some of the free folk would have domesticated them by now. Even a wight-direwolf could cause a lot of damage, so you'd think the WW would have a few in their zombie army.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times already but I get lost in this thread.

None specifically. 

21 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

We haven't seen any.. but Benjen told Jon that rangers heard them from time to time beyond the wall ... In the Not-a-canon-answer-but-my-bet-anyway department, I suspect that direwolves only bond with members of the Stark bloodline.                 

On 11/25/2017 at 8:44 AM, maudisdottir said:

Do we hear of any direwolves north of the Wall? I don't remember Jon seeing any with Mance's army, and if the Stark pups were so easy to bond with you'd imagine some of the free folk would have domesticated them by now.

Benjen and a few other black brothers mention seeing them (or evidence of them).

It's implied that trying to tame them is extremely dangerous, and they're still essentially independent in most ways. Ned wanted to kill them and it was only Jon's intervention that saved them, saying it was a sign from the gods.

Otherwise, they seem to be distrusted. Since the Starks and Free Folk are both First Men, and their superstitions overlap, it's hard to see the Free Folk trying to tame dire wolves. Indeed, they seem wary of Ghost, despite his connection to Jon.

Archived