Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

9 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I've seen a number of people claim that George has gone on record saying that he wants to write a character more villainous than Walter White. Do we know if he actually said this though, or is it more of an ASOIAF urban legend? 

This is the closest I could find. I sorta remember him saying something like this because I know he liked to talk about what a Breaking Bad fan he is.

“Amazing episode last night,” GRRM said in his blog post, referencing Sunday’s brutal seg of “Breaking Bad.” “Talk about a gut punch.”

He continued: “Walter White is a bigger monster than anyone in Westeros. (I need to do something about that.)”

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-walter-white-is-a-bigger-monster-than-anyone-in-westeros-1200617124/

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

This is the closest I could find. I sorta remember him saying something like this because I know he liked to talk about what a Breaking Bad fan he is.

“Amazing episode last night,” GRRM said in his blog post, referencing Sunday’s brutal seg of “Breaking Bad.” “Talk about a gut punch.”

He continued: “Walter White is a bigger monster than anyone in Westeros. (I need to do something about that.)”

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-walter-white-is-a-bigger-monster-than-anyone-in-westeros-1200617124/

Thank you. I'm very curious to see if Tyrion becomes Westeros' Walter White.

Are The Wildlings responsible for the Other's army? Reading ASOS, I'm sure everyone knows what Ygritte says at the very end of the Jon chapter where they climb the wall, "we opened half a hundred graves and let all those shades loose in the world, and never found the horn of Joramun to bring this cold thing down!" I've seen people dispute this like, she meant something else, but personally, I can't think of anything else this sentence could interpret. From what we know, mainly the Southron lords and common folk, don't believe in "The Others" because they haven't been seen since what, The Age Of Heroes? Most considered them to be folk tales, even some Northerners, some. But again, we're led to believe that unexplainable things happen beyond the wall. I understand that people say, Mance united the Wildings against the threat of the Others, but as mentioned, they were looking for the Horn Of Joramun to bring down the wall. How would bringing down the wall help them escape the Others? Wouldn't they just follow and become an even larger threat to Westeros, since there's now no barrier to stop them? I'm under the belief that Ygritte means exactly what she says, like I can't figure out, what hidden meaning there is for this, like I can for a lot of other examples in the series. 

4 minutes ago, Darion Storm said:

How do you pronounce "House Yronwood"? I feel like it should be pronounced "Iron wood", but whenever I read it the Y makes it come out as "Irron Wood". Does anyone else do this or am I just weird?

You're weird! :P

Joking... to me it comes naturally as iron wood. But the pronunciation of some names is something I still have doubts at times, and that's after almost 2 decades! :D

35 minutes ago, Darion Storm said:

How do you pronounce "House Yronwood"? I feel like it should be pronounced "Iron wood", but whenever I read it the Y makes it come out as "Irron Wood". Does anyone else do this or am I just weird?

29 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

You're weird! :P

Joking... to me it comes naturally as iron wood. But the pronunciation of some names is something I still have doubts at times, and that's after almost 2 decades! :D

This is actually rather simple to figure out. It is whatever  :bowdown:ROY DOTRICE says it is... which like any other name he pronounces, it comes out five different ways.

(I believe sticks with Ee-ronwood for this one)

How was Cersei able to get Aerys to select Jaime for the Kingsguard?

Jaime II SoS

Jaime, meantime, had spent four years as squire to Ser Sumner Crakehall and earned his spurs against the Kingswood Brotherhood. But when he made a brief call at King’s Landing on his way back to Casterly Rock, chiefly to see his sister, Cersei took him aside and whispered that Lord Tywin meant to marry him to Lysa Tully, had gone so far as to invite Lord Hoster to the city to discuss dower. But if Jaime took the white, he could be near her always. Old Ser Harlan Grandison had died in his sleep, as was only appropriate for one whose sigil was a sleeping lion. Aerys would want a young man to take his place, so why not a roaring lion in place of a sleepy one?

“Father will never consent,” Jaime objected.

“The king won’t ask him. And once it’s done, Father can’t object, not openly. Aerys had Ser Ilyn Payne’s tongue torn out just for boasting that it was the Hand who truly ruled the Seven Kingdoms. The captain of the Hand’s guard, and yet Father dared not try and stop it! He won’t stop this, either.”

“But,” Jaime said, “there’s Casterly Rock …”

“Is it a rock you want? Or me?”

He remembered that night as if it were yesterday. They spent it in an old inn on Eel Alley, well away from watchful eyes. Cersei had come to him dressed as a simple serving wench, which somehow excited him all the more. Jaime had never seen her more passionate. Every time he went to sleep, she woke him again. By morning Casterly Rock seemed a small price to pay to be near her always. He gave his consent, and Cersei promised to do the rest.

A moon’s turn later, a royal raven arrived at Casterly Rock to inform him that he had been chosen for the Kingsguard. He was commanded to present himself to the king during the great tourney at Harrenhal to say his vows and don his cloak.

I'm trying to gauge Dany's familiarity with Westerosi sigils.  She didn't know House Martell's sigil until Barristan told her.  Am I correct in thinking she does know the lion is the Lannister sigil?  What I'm most interested in knowing is whether she would recognize the Baratheon sigil on sight.     

23 hours ago, Harlaw's Book the Sequel said:

I'm trying to gauge Dany's familiarity with Westerosi sigils.  She didn't know House Martell's sigil until Barristan told her.  Am I correct in thinking she does know the lion is the Lannister sigil?  What I'm most interested in knowing is whether she would recognize the Baratheon sigil on sight.     

Absolutely she would:

The battle was followed by the day's first folly, a tilt between a pair of jousting dwarfs, presented by one of the Yunkish lords that Hizdahr had invited to the games. One rode a hound, the other a sow. Their wooden armor had been freshly painted, so one bore the stag of the usurper Robert Baratheon, the other the golden lion of House Lannister. That was for her sake, plainly.  A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys IX

No telling whether Stannis has changed the sigil enough to throw her off but she would likely know the stag = Baratheon. There is enough emphasis in AGoT and ACoK that Viserys has told her enough about "The Usurper and His Dogs" that she would probably also know the wolf sigil of the Starks on sight, too.

Renly was about 6 at the time of Robert’s Rebellion, and 9 when Joffrey was born, yet he was named Lord of Storm's End, presumably, in perpetuity. Do we know who Renly's regent and castellan were? For whom did he squire? (Renly was 12 during Greyjoy's Rebellion.) 

Archived