Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

3 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Imagine Cersei don't having a POV but you know she gives living human beings to Qyburn aka Mengele? 

That seems to be the point Lady Dacey was making - it’s precisely because we have her POV that we (well, some of us anyway) don’t find her entirely monstrous, though we recognise she does some truly heinous things.

9 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

That seems to be the point Lady Dacey was making - it’s precisely because we have her POV that we (well, some of us anyway) don’t find her entirely monstrous, though we recognise she does some truly heinous things.

Depends on what you decide it is monstrous. I'm sure if we get a Ramsay POV we'd found out he has a very good reason to flay people alive. In Cersei's case it's "all for the children".

These people have thinking process too. It's not like they're just sailing through life-sure they must think something before they act. 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Precisely :) she's a complex character, that's all I'm saying. There are moments in her story we empathize with (everything about her relationship with Robert made me so uncomfortable, I truly felt bad for her). Not so for Ramsey, Gregor or Hoat for exemple. I didn't care that Hoat was served his own flash - it only made me see even more clearly how deeply disturbed Gregor was, but I never felt bad for Vargo for it, because the author doesn't create mechanisms for the readers to feel sorry for him on any level. Of course everyone's reading experience is unique. 

On 24/01/2018 at 5:54 PM, Widow's Watch said:

Is there a chance Oldstones is part of Blackwood lands?

Oldstones is located between Seagard and Raventree Hall, so that, cartographically speaking, there is a chance of being a Blackwood or Mallister possession.

However, I tend to believe that Oldstone is located in the lands of one of the branches of House Vance, since:

• it was the andal Armistead Vance who defeated Tristfer IV Mudd and had Edmure Tully switch to his side, granting him the lands where Riverrun would be raised;
  • both branches of House Vance, House Tully, House Blackwood, House Bracken, and House Smallwood all made an alliance against Humfrey I Teague, which to me sounds like the both Houses Vance were contiguous neighbors to the north of the other houses (all of them, by the way, contiguous neighbors, from north to south, respectively).

A personal conviction, though.

11 hours ago, Lady Dacey said:

Precisely :) she's a complex character, that's all I'm saying. There are moments in her story we empathize with (everything about her relationship with Robert made me so uncomfortable, I truly felt bad for her). Not so for Ramsey, Gregor or Hoat for exemple. I didn't care that Hoat was served his own flash - it only made me see even more clearly how deeply disturbed Gregor was, but I never felt bad for Vargo for it, because the author doesn't create mechanisms for the readers to feel sorry for him on any level. Of course everyone's reading experience is unique. 

Yep. What’s very interesting is that Hoat even had something akin to a ‘Walk of Shame’ through Harrenhal. Something I barely even registered until someone pointed it out to me here! Whereas Cersei’s WOS made me deeply uncomfortable. Fascinating stuff really :) the human mind is a wonderful thing

Thanks! :-D

On 1/24/2018 at 7:08 AM, Ckram said:

The generalized disrespect for Septs during WoFK speaks for itself.

But we must also consider that real life sanctuaries relied on Catholic Church position as perhaps the most powerful institution in Europe during the Middle Ages, while the Faith of the Seven was completely dependent on the Iron Throne from Jaehaerys I to Cersei.

Therefore, I believe that to claim sanctuary wouldn't work in ASOIAF.

Ah, good point. Thanks a lot! :-D

I have some other questions as well...

1. What exactly is the the duties of the Master of Laws? I mean... "Kevan Lannister, provides the boy king with documents to sign, including pardons, grants, and bills of attainder." so it has to be more than advising the king verbally and overseeing the dungeons? 

2. I know the wikia said that true water dancers can kill on top of the Moon Pool without disturbing the water, but is there any mention of bravos who duel at night in Braavos just for the sake of improving their skill - as in, content with disarming/defeating an opponent without having to maim or kill them?

3. When Cersei was arrested by the Faith Militant and Kevan restored the old titles of the Small Council, he kept that of justiciar. Now that the Master of Laws and the Justiciar both have a seat of the council, how do you differentiate between the two posts? Do they work separately, or do the justiciar assist the master of laws? Do the justiciar handle some of the duties that once belonged to the master of laws, rendering the latter purely an advisor? 

4. Theoretically, if a Lord sent their son to the Citadel at the age of ten, will that lordling have been able to earn a link prior to they came of age through studying, or is it like - a prep-course period for particularly young students adults bypass because adults are expected to be more worldly wise? Also, we know of two character who studied at the Citadel but did not become measters. Is this frowned upon, or are nobles free or use the Citadel just as a place of learning? 

25 minutes ago, Ninclow said:

Theoretically, if a Lord sent their son to the Citadel at the age of ten, will that lordling have been able to earn a link prior to they came of age through studying, or is it like - a prep-course period for particularly young students adults bypass because adults are expected to be more worldly wise? Also, we know of two character who studied at the Citadel but did not become measters. Is this frowned upon, or are nobles free or use the Citadel just as a place of learning? 

A child sent to study at the Citadel at the age of ten will definitely have the oppertunity to earn at least one link by the time they come of age (i.e., turn sixteen). But the pace at which students earn links depends entirely on the student. Acolyte Armen took a year to earn his first link, but Alleras had earned three links in the same time period. Maester Aemon, who was "nine or ten" when he was sent to the Citadel, had earned "half a dozen" links by 209 AC, indicating he had earned 6 links after having been at the Citadel for one or two years. On the other hand, the novice Pate has been studying at the Citadel for five years, and has yet to earn his first link.

Adults might be faster in earning their links than young boys, due to the amount of knowledge they had prior to arriving at the Citadel, but that again depends on the people in question. Younger boys might be able to remember the archmaester's lessons much faster than an older man would, giving them the advantage.

We do know of characters who have studied at the Citadel and earned links, but who left before completing their chain. Lord Lyonel Strong and Prince Oberyn Martell both earned six links before leaving the Citadel, and Gunthor Hightower has studied at the Citadel for a few years as well (though whether he earned links and how many is not stated).

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

A child sent to study at the Citadel at the age of ten will definitely have the oppertunity to earn at least one link by the time they come of age (i.e., turn sixteen). But the pace at which students earn links depends entirely on the student. Acolyte Armen took a year to earn his first link, but Alleras had earned three links in the same time period. Maester Aemon, who was "nine or ten" when he was sent to the Citadel, had earned "half a dozen" links by 209 AC, indicating he had earned 6 links after having been at the Citadel for one or two years. On the other hand, the novice Pate has been studying at the Citadel for five years, and has yet to earn his first link.

Adults might be faster in earning their links than young boys, due to the amount of knowledge they had prior to arriving at the Citadel, but that again depends on the people in question. Younger boys might be able to remember the archmaester's lessons much faster than an older man would, giving them the advantage.

We do know of characters who have studied at the Citadel and earned links, but who left before completing their chain. Lord Lyonel Strong and Prince Oberyn Martell both earned six links before leaving the Citadel, and Gunthor Hightower has studied at the Citadel for a few years as well (though whether he earned links and how many is not stated).

Thanks! I wasn't sure if children could earn links, or if one had to be an adult to do that. 

Yes, but has it ever been mentioned to be frowned upon? Do the Citadel frown upon people who enter their halls but does not fully commit to the order of measters, or are the occasional comings and goings people treated no differently than people studying a field/taking an education without choosing to work with it for a living?

36 minutes ago, Ninclow said:

Yes, but has it ever been mentioned to be frowned upon? Do the Citadel frown upon people who enter their halls but does not fully commit to the order of measters, or are the occasional comings and goings people treated no differently than people studying a field/taking an education without choosing to work with it for a living?

That had not been mentioned. That's something we might get to learn about while Samwell is there. Although we do not know exactly how long is minimally needed to complete one's chain, I suspect that Samwell will leave Oldtown long before his chain is complete.

6 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Are spoilers fro video games allowed on this forum?

I believe those bits of info are considered semi-semi-canon. George spoke about the games before and, if I remember correctly, he thought them semi-semi-canon. I think as long as you know and recognize this, you can use it to add some skosh of credence, but you can’t lead with it. 

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I believe those bits of info are considered semi-semi-canon. George spoke about the games before and, if I remember correctly, he thought them semi-semi-canon. I think as long as you know and recognize this, you can use it to add some skosh of credence, but you can’t lead with it. 

What about non canon Game of thrones game from 2012?

On 1/28/2018 at 9:34 AM, Kandrax said:

What about non canon Game of thrones game from 2012?

If it's the one made by Telltale Games, then it's not considered canon. It's written by some of the writing crew who make the TV series. As for spoilers, well, it's still annoying to spoil the end of any video game, related to the series or otherwise. I'd still use spoiler tags.

Assuming that most goldcloaks are hired from KL (or areas very close to that city)  then many of them would have had either lost relatives during sacking of KL or even have personal experience what Lannisters did during that time.

So my question is why at least some of them did not use opportunity to revenge that sacking when Lord Stark made that revenge possible?

Or why they were loyal to people who had harmed their relatives or even them?

2 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

Assuming that most goldcloaks are hired from KL (or areas very close to that city)  then many of them would have had either lost relatives during sacking of KL or even have personal experience what Lannisters did during that time.

So my question is why at least some of them did not use opportunity to revenge that sacking when Lord Stark made that revenge possible?

Or why they were loyal to people who had harmed their relatives or even them?

They were following orders to support Joffrey of House Baratheon to succeed his father against Lord Eddard Stark who appeared to be usurping the throne for Stannis. 

Archived