Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

7 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I know you just received some great answers to this question of yours, but I wanted to add something I always thought was kinda weird...

In Essos, the "opposite" side of the world, they don't use the term "Grace" for the ruling peoples, they use "Your Radiance" (like a sun;)). Over in Essos the Graces are priestesses and cult prostitutes in an opposite play of words. 

DOnt they use your magnificence too?

10 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I know you just received some great answers to this question of yours, but I wanted to add something I always thought was kinda weird...

In Essos, the "opposite" side of the world, they don't use the term "Grace" for the ruling peoples, they use "Your Radiance" (like a sun;)). Over in Essos the Graces are priestesses and cult prostitutes in an opposite play of words. 

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

DOnt they use your magnificence too?

They do

"Not Grace," the seneschal complained. "That style is Westerosi. His Magnificence, His Radiance, His Worship."

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

They do

"Not Grace," the seneschal complained. "That style is Westerosi. His Magnificence, His Radiance, His Worship."

‘‘Tis true. I was just drawing on the “Grace” comparison. Hehee. Notice all of the “his” before the title. 

21 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

To be fair, Reznak was speaking of how Barristan should adress Hizdahr, which is why "His" stands before each title.

Ah. Makes sense. I thought it was the irony of the term being male, but now they have a female leader. 

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ah. Makes sense. I thought it was the irony of the term being male, but now they have a female leader. 

They do also insist on using those styles when speaking to Dany too. I found it annoying.

16 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

They do also insist on using those styles when speaking to Dany too. I found it annoying.

Yeah, agreed. I felt that in some way it was them being condescending in a subtext way. 

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Yeah, agreed. I felt that in some way it was them being condescending in a subtext way. 

I see it more as further indication of the culture clash and the unwillingness of Hizdhar and many of the old Meereenese to abandon their ancient customs. For all Hizdhar proclaims slavery and the customs of Meereenese to be dated and need he supports change etc... he really, really doesn’t put his words into practice.

1 hour ago, LordImp said:

Melisandre refers to R"Hllor as the god of fire and shadow. Is that something red priests in general belives or is it just Melisandre ? 

I do not see any instance of other red priests, Moqorro and Thoros, saying such. But we have so little dialogue from either character, its tough to tell.

It may also be important to note that in addition to being a priestess of R'hllor, Mel is also a shadowbinder, which seems to be distinction from being a red priest. It also seems that a person does not need to be a priest of R'hllor in order to be a shadowbinder. Take Quaithe for example.

18 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

What would happen, if only remaining member of a Great House is a wife of a Lord paramount of another region?

I think the closest we see to this is House Darry, where Amerei is wed to Lancel. If their marriage were successful then their children would wither take the Darry name, or remain as a cadet branch of House Lannister, I’m not sure if there is a strict rule about this, though I expect the former is more likely if it happens peacefully.

As for the Lord Paramount scenario, I suspect that the inheritance would be split between their sons; the first son gets the major lands, the second son gets the minor lands. Again the second son could chose to take his mother’s name or be a cadet branch with his father’s name.

Or perhaps someone smarter than me knows of some precedent for this?

24 minutes ago, Darion Storm said:

I think the closest we see to this is House Darry, where Amerei is wed to Lancel. If their marriage were successful then their children would wither take the Darry name, or remain as a cadet branch of House Lannister, I’m not sure if there is a strict rule about this, though I expect the former is more likely if it happens peacefully.

As for the Lord Paramount scenario, I suspect that the inheritance would be split between their sons; the first son gets the major lands, the second son gets the minor lands. Again the second son could chose to take his mother’s name or be a cadet branch with his father’s name.

Or perhaps someone smarter than me knows of some precedent for this?

House Darry isn't Great house.

And to clarify my question: If Cat and Lysa were only heirs of Hoster, what would happen? 

4 hours ago, Kandrax said:

House Darry isn't Great house.

And to clarify my question: If Cat and Lysa were only heirs of Hoster, what would happen? 

Cat would inherit it, or maybe one of her sons seems the most likely source of action.

8 hours ago, LordImp said:

Melisandre refers to R"Hllor as the god of fire and shadow. Is that something red priests in general belives or is it just Melisandre ? 

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I see it more as further indication of the culture clash and the unwillingness of Hizdhar and many of the old Meereenese to abandon their ancient customs. For all Hizdhar proclaims slavery and the customs of Meereenese to be dated and need he supports change etc... he really, really doesn’t put his words into practice.

I also don't remember any overt mention by anyone else that R'Hllor is a god of shadow.

I do remember Mel justifying her perspective on this pretty clearly, though - she states that without light there could be no shadows, that shadows are a creation of the light, and therefore not servants of darkness (paraphrasing of course). 

So, if this is a general approach by all red priests, it makes sense and there appears to be a reason for it. On the other hand, it could just be Mel's personal approach and her way of justifying her use of shadowbinding while also being a red priestess.

10 hours ago, Mathias said:

I also don't remember any overt mention by anyone else that R'Hllor is a god of shadow.

I do remember Mel justifying her perspective on this pretty clearly, though - she states that without light there could be no shadows, that shadows are a creation of the light, and therefore not servants of darkness (paraphrasing of course). 

So, if this is a general approach by all red priests, it makes sense and there appears to be a reason for it. On the other hand, it could just be Mel's personal approach and her way of justifying her use of shadowbinding while also being a red priestess.

16 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

I do not see any instance of other red priests, Moqorro and Thoros, saying such. But we have so little dialogue from either character, its tough to tell.

It may also be important to note that in addition to being a priestess of R'hllor, Mel is also a shadowbinder, which seems to be distinction from being a red priest. It also seems that a person does not need to be a priest of R'hllor in order to be a shadowbinder. Take Quaithe for example.

That's what I tought , thanks !

Is there any basis for regarding Orys Baratheon as a legitimized bastard Targ, so that the Baratheons could become senior agnatic Targs upon the extinction of all senior (later) agnatic lines? So that suddenly Stannis or even legitimized Edric Storm comes before Dany under Salic succession (supposing the Darkfyres, the Brightflames, the lines of Aegon IV's bastards and the rest of them are in fact extinct in the male line)?

1 hour ago, Widow's Watch said:

Does anyone know if the sword Dawn is a nod to comic book Mjolnir?

Can you elaborate? I can't really think of any parallels here, except that they're both 'legendary' or 'heroic' weapons.

Archived