Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

13 hours ago, newbieone said:

Is there any basis for regarding Orys Baratheon as a legitimized bastard Targ, so that the Baratheons could become senior agnatic Targs upon the extinction of all senior (later) agnatic lines? So that suddenly Stannis or even legitimized Edric Storm comes before Dany under Salic succession (supposing the Darkfyres, the Brightflames, the lines of Aegon IV's bastards and the rest of them are in fact extinct in the male line)?

As Orys having been Aegon's brother was only a rumour, not something that was confirmed or known, it is unlikely that the Baratheons at any time could have inherited the throne through his lineage. The first known Targaryen blood in House Baratheon came from Alyssa Velaryon, half Targaryens upon her mother's side (although we do not know how her mother related to the main branch of House Targaryen).  Alyssa had two children by her Baratheon husband, one of whom inherited the rule over Storm's End, Boremund.* Boremund was succeeded by his son, Borros, but whether Borros was succeeded by a sin or brother is unknown, so whether the Baratheons who ruled after Borros had any descent from Alyssa is unclear.

There is no further known Targaryen blood until the marriage of Rhaelle to Ormund, which occurred after the founding of House Blackfyre and the birth of Aerion's son Maegor.

*Alyssa's second child was a daughter, Jocelyn, who married back into House Targaryen and had only a daughter, Rhaenys, who was subsequently wed TO Corpus Velaryon and became the mother of Laena and Laenor. Laena in turn had two daughters, who both married as well, although the identities of their children and who their children might have married is unknown as well.

18 minutes ago, RevolverAxolot said:

Why did Ned bring Ice to Kings Landing? If the sword was purely ceremonial and too large to wield in battle, why would he bring it with him? Was he planning on executing some people?

Who said it was purely ceremonial and too large to wield in battle? 

1 hour ago, RevolverAxolot said:

Why did Ned bring Ice to Kings Landing? If the sword was purely ceremonial and too large to wield in battle, why would he bring it with him? Was he planning on executing some people?

I think beyond the irony of Ned being executed with his own sword, I think the whole purpose of Ice being at King's Landing was so that the grasping, thieving Tywin could put his grubby little hands on it, melt it down and get the two swords.

1 hour ago, Widow's Watch said:

I think beyond the irony of Ned being executed with his own sword, I think the whole purpose of Ice being at King's Landing was so that the grasping, thieving Tywin could put his grubby little hands on it, melt it down and get the two swords.

I get the thematic reasoning behind it being in KL, like Ned’s story beginning with him executing someone and then being executed himself by the same blade, I just want to know the in universe reason for him bringing it.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

George did. See my report here.

Hmm...

Asked if Ned ever used Ice in battle. George points out it was a greatsword, very large and cumbersome, a ceremonial sword for beheading people more than a fighting sword, so he suggests that it was "probably too heavy and clumsy" to use unless you're the Mountain. So, I think that's a pretty clear "no". I admit, I was tempted to point out that it was Valyrian steel, not regular steel, so why would the weight matter so much in this case? In particular when the likes of Randyll Tarly and Arthur Dayne are clearly said to have used their own Valyrian/Valyrian-like swords in battle? Tarly is not described as particularly powerful -- in fact he's called lean (doubtless strong and fit, but still, lean) -- and we're told he killed Lord Cafferen with Heartsbane. So... I take this as a firm "no", Ned never used it in battle, but I think George's off-the-cuff explanation doesn't quite fit the facts.

I wonder if he'd like to have that one back? I had always assumed that it was an extra large claymore to be wielded by two hands, perhaps not by Eddard though, since he was not so big. 

On 2/26/2018 at 8:15 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

She was walking down a long hall beneath high stone arches. She could not look behind her, must not look behind her. There was a door ahead of her, tiny with distance, but even from afar, she saw that it was painted red. She walked faster, and her bare feet left bloody footprints on the stone.

--Where else do we see a long hall with high stone arches?

@Lost Melnibonean, I believe the answer to your question is at Dragonstone...

Shuffling along the gallery, they passed before a row of tall arched windows with commanding views of the outer bailey, the curtain wall, and the fishing village beyond. 

Prologue, Clash

(Jiminy Cricket, now I am talking to myself.) 

18 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

@Lost Melnibonean, I believe the answer to your question is at Dragonstone...

Prologue, Clash

(Jiminy Cricket, now I am talking to myself.) 

Hey, I have a theory that involves Jiminy Cricket :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Ack! I need help. (silence, fools!)

Anyway, can someone help this ol'gal out with a quote? Somewhere in the books, probably the World book, there is a sentence or two that explains in some type of wording that the trees hate fire.

It may say the trees fear flames, or some jamble jumble like that, but that is the essence of the text.

p.s.

Yes, I have spent about three days now on the search site :blink:

3 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ack! I need help. (silence, fools!)

Anyway, can someone help this ol'gal out with a quote? Somewhere in the books, probably the World book, there is a sentence or two that explains in some type of wording that the trees hate fire.

It may say the trees fear flames, or some jamble jumble like that, but that is the essence of the text.

p.s.

Yes, I have spent about three days now on the search site :blink:

Hi Leech.  Not this one..?

A Storm of Swords - Arya VIII

"She will leave on the morrow, with us," Lord Beric assured the little woman. "We're taking her to Riverrun, to her mother."

"Nay," said the dwarf. "You're not. The black fish holds the rivers now. If it's the mother you want, seek her at the Twins. For there's to be a wedding." She cackled again. "Look in your fires, pink priest, and you will see. Not now, though, not here, you'll see nothing here. This place belongs to the old gods still . . . they linger here as I do, shrunken and feeble but not yet dead. Nor do they love the flames. For the oak recalls the acorn, the acorn dreams the oak, the stump lives in them both. And they remember when the First Men came with fire in their fists." She drank the last of the wine in four long swallows, flung the skin aside, and pointed her stick at Lord Beric. "I'll have my payment now. I'll have the song you promised me."

And so Lem woke Tom Sevenstrings beneath his furs, and brought him yawning to the fireside with his woodharp in hand. "The same song as before?" he asked.

"Oh, aye. My Jenny's song. Is there another?"

12 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Hi Leech.  Not this one..?

Ya know what, it just might be that one. And wow, that was quick!

Thank you RR :cheers:

I wonder why I thought it specifically mentioned the word "trees"? :dunno: Weird.

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ya know what, it just might be that one. And wow, that was quick!

Thank you RR :cheers:

Yeah well, me and the trees have a long acquaintance, and this happens to be one of my fave quotes.  Normally, I'm the devil's secretary, but for you I'll make an exception! :cheers:

P.S. I love the connection of a song to a promise to a child -- and a payment owing to the trees.

6 hours ago, RevolverAxolot said:

I get the thematic reasoning behind it being in KL, like Ned’s story beginning with him executing someone and then being executed himself by the same blade, I just want to know the in universe reason for him bringing it.

He was moving to King's Landing, possibly for the rest of his life (though I'm sure he didn't expect it to be that short) so why wouldn't he bring it? If nothing else a Valyrian Steel sword is a prestigious symbol. Plus when sitting on the throne in Robert's absence he may have had occasion to use it to to execute someone, as the Starks don't use headsmen.

17 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Really? (I would like to read that.) 

Nah. Smart Lost Mely B's avoid threads such as that. I started out as a tad cheeky, but then it grew in to something a little... more, and Jiminy is in there, but only a small part ;)

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Nah. Smart Lost Mely B's avoid threads such as that. I started out as a tad cheeky, but then it grew in to something a little... more, and Jiminy is in there, but only a small part ;)

20 days til 04/01...

Archived