Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

2 hours ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

Quick question:

Can someone quickly summarize the current situation in the books? Like the battles, major people etc...

The Ned is Dead. 

Catelyn is dead, but has been resurrected as Lady Stoneheart. She is leading the Band Without Banners, or at least a faction of it, in the Riverlands, where she is hanging Freys and searching for her daughters. Brienne appears to be bringing Jaime back to her. 

Robb is dead.

Bran has wed a tree and is becoming one with the old gods. 

Davos was dispatched to fetch Rickon from Skagos. 

Sansa is eating lemony lemon cakes incognito in the Vale under the fatherly protection of Petyr, who is trying to establish himself as Lord Protector of the Vale. They might be poisoning young Robert, or not. 

Arya is no one. 

Jon is dead, or not. 

Tywin is dead. 

Cersei is awaiting trial, but 

Spoiler

she appears to have won. Depending on what happens with Mace, she could have become queen regent again. Margaery has apparently won her trial too, but we really don't know what has happened in the aftermath of 

the Epilogue to Dance. 

Tyrion is in Meereen with Jorah persuading Brown Ben to return to Daenerys's fold. 

Tommen is king. 

Daenerys is is waiting on Khal Jhaqo's pleasure, but Drogo might bail her out, or not. 

Viserys is dead. 

Aegon 

Spoiler

has captured Storm's End, and Arianne is under his power now. Aegon is preparing to face Mace's army which has marched down from King's Landing. 

Doran is waiting for word from his daughter. He has sent two Sand Snakes to King's Landing with Myrcella, and he has sent another with Balon Swann to beard Darkstar. Aleras is with Samwell at the Citadel. 

Willas and Garlan are likely marshaling forces to deal with the Ironmen invasion. Loras is reportedly dying at Dragonstone. 

Stannis is freezing his balls off three days outside of Winterfell. He still holds Asha and Theon. Roose Bolton has sent Freys and Manderlys out to fight him. Ramsay might follow, or not. 

Spoiler

Karstark's treachery was discovered by Stannis, and Stannis was planning a ruse. 

Although Ramsay told Jon that he defeated Stannis, 

Spoiler

Stannis has sent Justin to Essos after he gained the support of the Iron Bank. 

Selyse is with Melisandre and Shireen, poor Shireen, at the Wall. 

Renly is dead. 

Balon is dead.

Euron

Spoiler

has captured Aeron, and is preparing to meet the Redwyne fleet in battle. 

Victarion is approaching Meereen, where Barristan is fighting the slavers and waiting for Daenerys's return. 

Hoster is dead. 

Edmure is being taken to Casterly Rock. His pregnant Frey bride is held hostage at the Twins. 

The Blackfish's whereabouts are unknown. 

Do you sympathize with their loss of economic structure, or the culture? Because though the two are connected, they are not completely one in the same.

I feel that Dany has done a lot to preserve what culture she can in Mereen. Radical change will usually bring upheaval before stability can be established again. And Dany's smashing of the slave trade was about as radical as you can get.

7 minutes ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Do you sympathize with their loss of economic structure, or the culture? Because though the two are connected, they are not completely one in the same.

I feel that Dany has done a lot to preserve what culture she can in Mereen. Radical change will usually bring upheaval before stability can be established again. And Dany's smashing of the slave trade was about as radical as you can get.

Mostly the economic structure. I should have clarified more. The Ghiscari people faced destruction before, and even then, they survived after the Valyrian Wars. I just can't see an ending for the people of Slaver's Bay that is positive. Either Dany leaves in frustration and it falls into anarchy (see Astapor and Cleon), or she is forced to wipe out the nobility and install another ruler (except she tried that already too). I'm mostly just concerned that once Dany leaves Slaver's Bay, there'll be no conclusion to the narrative, and she'll be remembered in the East as that one crazy person who destroyed our economy that one time before leaving and letting us slave again. See what I mean?

Does Jon still have a beard or facial hair?

A Clash of Kings - Jon VIII

Then he was through; drenched and shivering, but through.
The cleft in the rock was barely large enough for man and horse to pass, but beyond, the walls opened up and the floor turned to soft sand. Jon could feel the spray freezing in his beard. Ghost burst through the waterfall in an angry rush, shook droplets from his fur, sniffed at the darkness suspiciously, then lifted a leg against one rocky wall. Qhorin had already dismounted. Jon did the same. "You knew this place was here."

9 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

A Clash of Kings - Jon VIII

Then he was through; drenched and shivering, but through.
The cleft in the rock was barely large enough for man and horse to pass, but beyond, the walls opened up and the floor turned to soft sand. Jon could feel the spray freezing in his beard. Ghost burst through the waterfall in an angry rush, shook droplets from his fur, sniffed at the darkness suspiciously, then lifted a leg against one rocky wall. Qhorin had already dismounted. Jon did the same. "You knew this place was here."

I suppose he does since we don't hear about him shaving or getting a special no-wax raven-pecked-hair-by-hair "waxing".

Spoiler

And yes, in case you're wondering, I'm in my cups... :lol:

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I suppose he does since we don't hear about him shaving or getting a special no-wax raven-pecked-hair-by-hair "waxing".

Hide contents

And yes, in case you're wondering, I'm in my cups... :lol:

Sounds kinky :leer: (all of it) 

55 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I don't think it's likely.

42 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Nor was his beard mentioned. Since he's not in the wilderness anymore I expect he returned back to shaving his face.

Just now, mzso said:

I don't think it's likely.

Nor was his beard mentioned. Since he's not in the wilderness anymore I expect he returned back to shaving his face.

Why? I would imagine that w/ everything he has on his mind plus the fact that it's a time-consuming activity, there's a good chance he's given up on shaving for now. 

I can remember only one instance where we see him wake up and leave his room, and even though we hear about him washing hands and face, and putting on clean clothes, there's no mention of shaving. 

So, as far as info we.get from the author regarding Jon's facial hair, most recent mention has him bearded. 

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Why? I would imagine that w/ everything he has on his mind plus the fact that it's a time-consuming activity, there's a good chance he's given up on shaving for now. 

I can remember only one instance where we see him wake up and leave his room, and even though we hear about him washing hands and face, and putting on clean clothes, there's no mention of shaving. 

So, as far as info we.get from the author regarding Jon's facial hair, most recent mention has him bearded. 

Bearded is kinda what I’m thinking, too. At one point when he does get back to Castle Black, and he is in the baths, we don’t read about Jon shaving then in that personal hygiene moment. 

Beard it is! :commie:

(But I could be wrong) 

Vitamin C is literally vital. Without it people will die either by scurvy or another diseases. Main source of it are fresh vegetables, roots and fruits, but those are not available during winter. 

So what sources of vitamin C people living in the North have during long winters?

4 hours ago, Lynesse said:

Do  we know who knighted the three Baratheon brothers? (I assume Stannis was knighted, though we never hear of it, since he knighted Davos.)

We don't know. I would assume Robert was knighted by Jon Arryn. Renly perhaps by Robert, perhaps not. If not I would have no idea. Stannis, I would suspect received his knighthood from someone at Storm's End.

22 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The Ned is Dead. 

Catelyn is dead, but has been resurrected as Lady Stoneheart. She is leading the Band Without Banners, or at least a faction of it, in the Riverlands, where she is hanging Freys and searching for her daughters. Brienne appears to be bringing Jaime back to her. 

Robb is dead.

Bran has wed a tree and is becoming one with the old gods. 

Davos was dispatched to fetch Rickon from Skagos. 

Sansa is eating lemony lemon cakes incognito in the Vale under the fatherly protection of Petyr, who is trying to establish himself as Lord Protector of the Vale. They might be poisoning young Robert, or not. 

Arya is no one. 

Jon is dead, or not. 

Tywin is dead. 

Cersei is awaiting trial, but 

Reveal hidden contents

she appears to have won. Depending on what happens with Mace, she could have become queen regent again. Margaery has apparently won her trial too, but we really don't know what has happened in the aftermath of 

the Epilogue to Dance. 

Tyrion is in Meereen with Jorah persuading Brown Ben to return to Daenerys's fold. 

Tommen is king. 

Daenerys is is waiting on Khal Jhaqo's pleasure, but Drogo might bail her out, or not. 

Viserys is dead. 

Aegon 

Reveal hidden contents

has captured Storm's End, and Arianne is under his power now. Aegon is preparing to face Mace's army which has marched down from King's Landing. 

Doran is waiting for word from his daughter. He has sent two Sand Snakes to King's Landing with Myrcella, and he has sent another with Balon Swann to beard Darkstar. Aleras is with Samwell at the Citadel. 

Willas and Garlan are likely marshaling forces to deal with the Ironmen invasion. Loras is reportedly dying at Dragonstone. 

Stannis is freezing his balls off three days outside of Winterfell. He still holds Asha and Theon. Roose Bolton has sent Freys and Manderlys out to fight him. Ramsay might follow, or not. 

Reveal hidden contents

Karstark's treachery was discovered by Stannis, and Stannis was planning a ruse. 

Although Ramsay told Jon that he defeated Stannis, 

Reveal hidden contents

Stannis has sent Justin to Essos after he gained the support of the Iron Bank. 

Selyse is with Melisandre and Shireen, poor Shireen, at the Wall. 

Renly is dead. 

Balon is dead.

Euron

Reveal hidden contents

has captured Aeron, and is preparing to meet the Redwyne fleet in battle. 

Victarion is approaching Meereen, where Barristan is fighting the slavers and waiting for Daenerys's return. 

Hoster is dead. 

Edmure is being taken to Casterly Rock. His pregnant Frey bride is held hostage at the Twins. 

The Blackfish's whereabouts are unknown. 

Thank you sir.

3 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Can someone point to a culture where girls were sent to pleasure houses as an honor like in the Summer Isles and Meereen? 

A Mesopotamian one, I remember reading about it a while ago. Babylon? I'll see if I can find it again.

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

We don't know. I would assume Robert was knighted by Jon Arryn. Renly perhaps by Robert, perhaps not. If not I would have no idea. Stannis, I would suspect received his knighthood from someone at Storm's End.

Thank you! Jon Arryn knighting Robert would also be my assumption.

7 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

So is House Lannister of First Men or Andal heritage? I always thought it was known they were Andals, but the Asoiaf Wiki lists them as a First Men house. 

Blond, tall people, isn't that a typical Andal appearance.

I suspect that as The George weeded his garden, the First Men became much more prominent. 

Archived