Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

43 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

So is House Lannister of First Men or Andal heritage? I always thought it was known they were Andals, but the Asoiaf Wiki lists them as a First Men house. 

Blond, tall people, isn't that a typical Andal appearance.

From the wiki:

when King Gerold III died without male issue, a council crowned the Andal husband of Gerold's only daughter, Ser Joffrey Lydden, who took the Lannister name. Thus the Lannisters became an Andal house, though their First Men name lived on.[5]

56 minutes ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

Lann the Clever, the ancestor of the Lannister is believed to have been of First Men descent. You really should read more carefully.

Its in the wiki

It is disputed though

I'm not sure why you think that information is incompatible with the bit I posted. 

58 minutes ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

It is disputed though

The wiki also notes "citation needed" for this dispute in Lann the Clever entry, so it is admitting its own inaccuraccy.

In turn, House Lannister entry (which Hum Ram referred) has used TWOIAF as source. And Yandel tells us exactly that "when Gerold III died without male issues, a council crowned his only daughter's husband, Ser Joffery Lydden, who took the Lannister name and became the first Andal to rule the Rock." (TWOIAF, the Westerlands)

7 hours ago, Ckram said:

The wiki also notes "citation needed" for this dispute in Lann the Clever entry, so it is admitting its own inaccuraccy.

That's not what the "citation needed" tag means. The tag is placed with a statement which is missing a reference. Is it possible that the statement is incorrect? Sure. But it could also easily be correct (as is often the case). It's just that whoever wrote the sentence or passage in question did not add a reference to the books. :)

40 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

That's not what the "citation needed" tag means. The tag is placed with a statement which is missing a reference. Is it possible that the statement is incorrect? Sure. But it could also easily be correct (as is often the case). It's just that whoever wrote the sentence or passage in question did not add a reference to the books.

I don't know if my english is that bad, but that was exaclty what I had in mind. Maybe "fallibility" was the word. I stand corrected, anyway.

hello - my question today is regarding "the book of swords" :  does it contain stories applicable to the aSoIaF universe? 

i have watched the 'BoS' thread grow (but i haven't read it yet) and i need to know if i should buy this book.

11 minutes ago, Yaya said:

hello - my question today is regarding "the book of swords" :  does it contain stories applicable to the aSoIaF universe? 

i have watched the 'BoS' thread grow (but i haven't read it yet) and i need to know if i should buy this book.

It has the story The Sons of the Dragon about Aenys and Maegor's reigns. Worth reading, but a lot of the information is covered in the worldbook. 

10 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

said George something about if it is possible to see Valyria in TWOW or ADOS in an interview or somewhere else?

Only thing I could find about possibly seeing Valyria:

Long ago, someone (LindaElane?) learned from GRRM that his visit to New Zealand and Rotorura park (full of geysers, natural hot springs, bubbling mud, and the smell of sulfur) had inspired a location that would appear in the books. That location hasn't appeared yet, but it will in time. Linda and I are guessing Valyria, or possibly Asshai.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/ssm/category/heraldry/p435/P480

Galbart and Robett Glover had left Deepwood in the hands of Robett's wife, but it was their steward who came to Winterfell. "My lady begs that you excuse her absence. Her babes are still too young for such a journey, and she was loath to leave them." Bran soon realized that it was the steward, not Lady Glover, who truly ruled at DeepwoodMotte. The man allowed that he was at present setting aside only a tenth of his harvest. A hedge wizard had told him there would be a bountiful spirit summer before the cold set in, he claimed. Maester Luwin had a number of choice things to say about hedge wizards. Ser Rodrik commanded the man to set aside a fifth, and questioned the steward closely about Lord Hornwood's bastard, the boy Larence Snow. In the north, all highborn bastards took the surname Snow. This lad was near twelve, and the steward praised his wits and courage.

Bran II, Clash 16

Do we know who the steward is and what has happened to him since Asha took Deepwood Motte?

Archived