Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

22 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I pictured killer whales since they hunt in packs.

Killer whales are mentioned at one point as spotted whales. It doesn't totally rule out wolf fish being another name for Orcas, but it seems like they know the difference between a whale and a fish. 

Some said they were skinchangers, unholy creatures who could take on the forms of sea lions, walruses, even spotted whales, the wolves of the wild sea.

Edit: actually the next paragraph after that worldbook quote mentions the spotted whales, so it can't be them.

Ice dragons notwithstanding, the true kings of these northern waters are the whales. Half a dozen types of these great beasts make their homes in the Shivering Sea, amongst them grey whales, white whales, humpbacks, savage spotted whales with their hunting packs (which many call the wolves of the wild sea), and the mighty leviathans, the oldest and largest of all the living creatures of the earth.

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Is there any confirmation that children of the forest interbred with men?

I am seconding this question because I see people mention this guy or that could be half CotF. 

I tend to say no because it seems humans and CotF are two different species, not just two races of the same species. 

Three fingers, dappled deer-like skin, big eyes the better to see you with. But I guess we need that canon truth? 

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Dontcha think skinchanging into a killer whale would be cooler than a wee fishy? 

Absol-frickin-lutely!  I wasn't arguing.  I was merely pointing out that per the link provided the RL wolf fish is also called the sea wolves.  IDK what "sea wolves" in Martinlandia are.  But I think it's very curious that House Farwynd of Lonely Light are called the Wolves of the Sea and are thought of as skinchangers. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

But didna the dudes from the Lonely Light skin change into sea wolves? 

They always reminded me of the Irish Selkies.

and then I start thinking of the movie Secret of Roan Inish.

"Aeron knew some Farwynds, a queer folk who held lands on the westernmost shores of Great Wyk and the scattered isles beyond, rocks so small that most could support but a single household. Of those, the Lonely Light was the most distant, eight days' sail to the northwest amongst rookeries of seals and sea lions and the boundless grey oceans. The Farwynds there were even queerer than the rest. Some said they were skinchangers, unholy creatures who could take on the forms of sea lions, walruses, even spotted whales, the wolves of the wild sea."

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

They always reminded me of the Irish Selkies.

and then I start thinking of the movie Secret of Roan Inish.

"Aeron knew some Farwynds, a queer folk who held lands on the westernmost shores of Great Wyk and the scattered isles beyond, rocks so small that most could support but a single household. Of those, the Lonely Light was the most distant, eight days' sail to the northwest amongst rookeries of seals and sea lions and the boundless grey oceans. The Farwynds there were even queerer than the rest. Some said they were skinchangers, unholy creatures who could take on the forms of sea lions, walruses, even spotted whales, the wolves of the wild sea."

Aha! That's it! Spotted whales are the wolves of the wild sea--orcas. 

8 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Aha! That's it! Spotted whales are the wolves of the wild sea--orcas. 

It took me a while and with the help of the comments here it came together. I totally forgot about the Farwynds for a while, then it all came flooding flooded back.

In AGOT it states that Ned had not seen Robert since 9 years before for Balon Greyjoy's rebellion.

It also mentions that he hasn't seen the "Lannister woman" since the younger prince was still on her breast and thinks Tommen must be 5. Cat corrects him and says that Prince Tommen is 7.

When did Ned see Cersei 7 years ago at which time he didn't see Robert?

6 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I am seconding this question because I see people mention this guy or that could be half CotF. 

I tend to say no because it seems humans and CotF are two different species, not just two races of the same species. 

Three fingers, dappled deer-like skin, big eyes the better to see you with. But I guess we need that canon truth? 

What about the Crannogmen?  Isn't it implied that they are related to the CotF?

4 hours ago, The Sword of the Evening said:

In AGOT it states that Ned had not seen Robert since 9 years before for Balon Greyjoy's rebellion.

It also mentions that he hasn't seen the "Lannister woman" since the younger prince was still on her breast and thinks Tommen must be 5. Cat corrects him and says that Prince Tommen is 7.

When did Ned see Cersei 7 years ago at which time he didn't see Robert?

There's no definite answer to that. We know the Lannister part of the family did travel to and fro between King's Landing and Lannisport and the Stark family might have travelled to Riverrun every now and then. So they might have met on the road, or even on purpose, in Riverrun. Robert might have been absent for whatever reason.

8 hours ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

As far as I know the Crannogmen being part CotF is an old wives tale trying to give a reason why they are so small and weird and icky (frog eaters and all). 

I could be wrong. Someone correct me! 

47 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

As far as I know the Crannogmen being part CotF is an old wives tale trying to give a reason why they are so small and weird and icky (frog eaters and all). 

I could be wrong. Someone correct me! 

Well, we know that the CotF retreated into the bogs of the Neck to escape the Andals, and that's where the Crannogmen live.  And we know that the Crannogmen have greenseers, which was a power of the CotF.  There seems to be a connection, but it's not proven, I guess.

52 minutes ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Well, we know that the CotF retreated into the bogs of the Neck to escape the Andals, and that's where the Crannogmen live.  And we know that the Crannogmen have greenseers, which was a power of the CotF.  There seems to be a connection, but it's not proven, I guess.

I did try searching the search site and the main books for a certain, mated pairing and could not find one. However, I could have just used the wrong term???

17 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I always wondered whether or not the order of the green "men" where human, CotF or hybrids...

Also do humans always have the ability of greensight and warging or is this something that has genetically to be inhertied from CotF?

But on the otherhand Daenys and Daeron had prophetic dreams, too, and assuming that it is the same magic (not necessarily the case), how did this ability become part of the valyrian genetic pool? They are not related to the First Men...

11 hours ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

The reason I am asking the question is that it seems to me that the crannogmen of the Neck, and the green men on the Isle of Faces might be a halfbreed of the Children of the Forest and First Men. 

Archived