Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

12 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

Do you use ravens in Essos? Logic tells me me they do but I don't remember it ever being mentioned before. 

I'm almost certain they don't. It started as a children of the forest thing and then became a maesters thing, neither of which exist in Essos. Except maybe the Ifequevron but they're out father east past the free cities and seem to keep to themselves. 

14 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm almost certain they don't. It started as a children of the forest thing and then became a maesters thing, neither of which exist in Essos. Except maybe the Ifequevron but they're out father east past the free cities and seem to keep to themselves. 

I didn't even consider the COTF angle of it. Duh 

Quick question. I remember, it was stated in the app, that Euron took the Dragonbinder horn from the warlocks. I do have this app, however I couldn't find the confirmation. Perhaps, there was an update or can someone quote that? All that I could find is the fact, the warlocks were captured by Euron and Greyjoy claims that he brought the horn from Valyria.

Spoiler

With three others, he sets sail from Qarth, but the ship is captured by Euron Crow's Eye. One of the warlocks makes threats against Greyjoy. Euron kills him and starves the other warlocks until they are forced to eat their dead companion. The survivors are now Euron's captives, working his will.

Taking his terrible, red-painted ship Silence to sea, Euron sails beyond the Stepstones to reave in the Narrow Sea, the Slaver's Bay, and beyond. Coming across a Qartheen galleas with four warlocks, including Pyat Pree, he learns of Daenarys Targaryen and her dragons.

Euron reveals a vision of the Ironmen returning to the glory of the Old Way, claiming that he has sailed the Smoking Sea of ruined Valyria and has returned with a horn that will summon dragons to do his bidding

3 hours ago, Arystan said:

Quick question. I remember, it was stated in the app, that Euron took the Dragonbinder horn from the warlocks. I do have this app, however I couldn't find the confirmation. Perhaps, there was an update or can someone quote that? All that I could find is the fact, the warlocks were captured by Euron and Greyjoy claims that he brought the horn from Valyria.

Check the Qarth entry: "their ship is taken by Euron Greyjoy, who seizes their alleged dragon-binding horn". 

What will happen, if two minor Houses from differrent regions, for example Frey and Tarly, declare a war against each other or if minor House  declare war against someone from Essos?                       PS: i'm sorry for possible grammatic errors.

1 hour ago, Kandrax said:

What will happen, if two minor Houses from differrent regions, for example Frey and Tarly, declare a war against each other or if minor House  declare war against someone from Essos?                       PS: i'm sorry for possible grammatic errors.

Disputes across region lines would most likely be settled by the king. I'm not sure what would happen if a minor house got into conflict with one of the Free Cities. It's not likely to come up because even most great houses would have trouble fighting an intercontinental war alone.

I'd say the Velaryons at the height of their power were the only non-great house that could have maybe matched the power of one of the free cities. The one time we know they fought against foreigners (without all of Westeros being at war alongside them) was when Daemon Targaryen declared himself king of the stepstones. They had a dragon and monetary support from the crown and still didn't win a decisive victory.  Though that was against three cities working together. 

10 hours ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

If a noble woman inherits her family seat/the throne (Daenerys Targaryen, Sansa Stark, Ermesand Heyford, Cersei Lannister) no matter if she is the last of her line or not could she force her husband to take her name?

That would depend on a few things. What is the status of the husband? Whose house is higher in the social ladder? If it is the woman's house, the husband might indeed take her last name (as e.g. Joffrey Lydden did) to cement his claim upon the lands.

I suppose it could be part of the negotiations of the marriage. But it won't be a necessity. I guess it woule bw more important for her that her heirs take her last name, at least when inheriting, if n before.

13 hours ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

If a noble woman inherits her family seat/the throne (Daenerys Targaryen, Sansa Stark, Ermesand Heyford, Cersei Lannister) no matter if she is the last of her line or not could she force her husband to take her name?

The husband may not take the wife’s name, but I expect in most cases their children would take the wife’s name.

Especially if the wife’s House is a greater power than his, probably even if the wife’s House is weaker if only to increase their children’s legitimacy in the eyes of others.

However one example is House Lannister of Darry, it seems that Lancel’s children would still have been Lannisters, suggesting that it may be different in the context of conquest.

24 minutes ago, Darion Storm said:

The husband may not take the wife’s name, but I expect in most cases their children would take the wife’s name.

Especially if the wife’s House is a greater power than his, probably even if the wife’s House is weaker if only to increase their children’s legitimacy in the eyes of others.

However one example is House Lannister of Darry, it seems that Lancel’s children would still have been Lannisters, suggesting that it may be different in the context of conquest.

Lancel’s bride was Darry through her mother but her family name was Frey. Ami would have had to change her own name prior to marrying Lancel to have the Darry name. I guess they could, theoretically, still call their children Darrys 

49 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

Is it too early for me to start some topic?

Some would say no. Some would say yes. I remember a person on the forum who only seemed to post new thread topics, most thought it was annoying. My advice would be to make the topic open enough so the subject is not concluded after 3 or 4 posts, but focused enough that it does not stray off topic easily.

On 12/21/2017 at 10:48 PM, RumHam said:

had the impression that Theon's mom's issues were age related. Including some memory issues where she forgets her eldest sons have died. 

I just read this passage: 

Even now, it was hard to credit that frail, sickly Lady Alannys had outlived her husband Lord Balon, who had seemed so hard and strong.

Of course her issues may be age related. Just pointing out that she is said to be frail & sickly. 

I noticed on this (my 4th re-read) that in A Clash of Kings, Jon notices how the white raven that is sent from the Citadel to the Wall is white and silent as Ghost. I found this odd that this raven would be so silent when the other ravens at the wall say basic words and the white ravens are said to be smarter and more capable of speech earlier in this same book. Ideas why this one is silent then? Anyone else think it’s odd?

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Is ser Barristan a precedent for Jaime being able to become a KG? Jaime was heir but he became KG, his father Tywin may have objected perhaps, but Barristan was also an heir, so from a neutral point, why not allow Jaime to become KG as well?

There aren't any rules saying the heir of a house can't become a member of the KG, so there was no need for  a precedent. The issue is that the KG serves for life so when the heir decides to join they stop being the heir. 

Tywin couldn't stop Jaime from becoming a member & didn't but he didn't like it because that meant Tyrion was his lawful heir.

Barristan being dismissed from the KG may have set a precedent for members being removed but it was one Cersei set, that Tywin didn't agree with, & Jaime doesn't want to be removed from the KG to become heir to Casterly Rock. So it wasn't really an option for Tywin to get the heir he wanted back.

Archived