Rhaenys_Targaryen

Small Questions v. 10105

2,668 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

The betrayals & other sets of 3 from the undying fascinate me. What makes you think MMD or Jorah's betrayal are not counted in the 3? 

Not speaking for LM here but most of the time I see that interpretation it is because those betrayals happen before the House of the Undying, and the assumption is the Slayer of Lies is a prophecy/vision referring to future events

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

When married following the customs of the Faith (as Tyrion and Sansa were), the septon who marries them declares man and wife to be "one flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever". So if taking the black means for the man that he no longer is "one flesh, one heart, one soul" with his wife, how could his wife still be "one flesh, one heart, one soul" with him?

Tyrion is clear, imo. If he takes the vows of the Night's Watch, the marriage is over. ("It would mean the end of his marriage [...]"). 

I suppose we will have to submit our arguments to the Hague ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

The betrayals & other sets of 3 from the undying fascinate me. What makes you think MMD or Jorah's betrayal are not counted in the 3? 

The George loves betrayal. From Petyr betraying The Ned to the Ides of Marsh. In The House of the Undying Ones, we were told that Daenerys would know three treasons, so these three treasons better be pretty big. My guess is they will happen at once or in rapid succession, Illyrio for blood, Tyrion for gold, and Aegon for love, but whatever they are, they need to be real game changers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not speaking for LM here but most of the time I see that interpretation it is because those betrayals happen before the House of the Undying, and the assumption is the Slayer of Lies is a prophecy/vision referring to future events

Reasonable arguments can be made for Mirri Maz Duur (blood) and Jorah (gold). The former certainly betrayed Daenerys for the blood of her people and to work her blood magic. But I believe that Aegon is Daemon Blackfyre's heir and Illyrio's son. An Daenerys considers Illyrio to be her friend. Her closest advisers believe he is her friend. That sets up a real sweet treason for blood, no? 

Jorah took the eunuchs gold and spied on Daenerys, and when she found out, Daenerys was devastated. But Tyrion tells us that he might regret all those promissory notes he gave to the Second Sons. And above all else, the confessed kinslayer and convicted kingslayer wants Casterly Rock, so he could find himself in a desperate situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not speaking for LM here but most of the time I see that interpretation it is because those betrayals happen before the House of the Undying, and the assumption is the Slayer of Lies is a prophecy/vision referring to future events

I've thought of this as well but thought Jorah was after? I could definitely be wrong though. 

 

56 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The George loves betrayal. From Petyr betraying The Ned to the Ides of Marsh. In The House of the Undying Ones, we were told that Daenerys would know three treasons, so these three treasons better be pretty big. My guess is they will happen at once or in rapid succession, Illyrio for blood, Tyrion for gold, and Aegon for love, but whatever they are, they need to be real game changers. 

Yes! Jorah hurt her but in the big scheme of things it didn't change anything, or much at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I've thought of this as well but thought Jorah was after? I could definitely be wrong though. 

 

Yes! Jorah hurt her but in the big scheme of things it didn't change anything, or much at least.

Didn t jorah betray her all through got by informing varys about her movements?

And do you have the quote? Like does it say something like "you will know 3 betrayals" or "you will be betrayed 3 times"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, divica said:

Didn t jorah betray her all through got by informing varys about her movements?

And do you have the quote? Like does it say something like "you will know 3 betrayals" or "you will be betrayed 3 times"?

Here is the quote...

Quote

"I have come for the gift of truth," Dany said. "In the long hall, the things I saw . . . were they true visions, or lies? Past things, or things to come? What did they mean?"

. . . the shape of shadows . . . morrows not yet made . . . drink from the cup of ice . . . drink from the cup of fire . . .

. . . mother of dragons . . . child of three . . .

"Three?" She did not understand.

. . . three heads has the dragon . . . the ghost chorus yammered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air. . . . mother of dragons . . . child of storm . . . The whispers became a swirling song. . . . three fires must you light . . . one for life and one for death and one to love . . . Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt . . . three mounts must you ride . . . one to bed and one to dread and one to love . . . The voices were growing louder, she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and even her breath. . . . three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love . . .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Here is the quote...

 

I thought the quote was like that.

Quote

three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love . . .

She only knows about jorah's betrayal after this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We hear of how cold winters can be, especially beyond the Wall but when we get a description of the area immedieately beyond the Wall, it's like this

Quote
It was a long moment before he understood what was happening. When he did, he bolted to his feet. "Ghost?" He turned toward the wood, and there he came, padding silently out of the green dusk, the breath coming warm and white from his open jaws. "Ghost!" he shouted, and the direwolf broke into a run. He was leaner than he had been, but bigger as well, and the only sound he made was the soft crunch of dead leaves beneath his paws. When he reached Jon he leapt, and they wrestled amidst brown grass and long shadows as the stars came out above them. "Gods, wolf, where have you been?" Jon said when Ghost stopped worrying at his forearm. "I thought you'd died on me, like Robb and Ygritte and all the rest. I've had no sense of you, not since I climbed the Wall, not even in dreams." The direwolf had no answer, but he licked Jon's face with a tongue like a wet rasp, and his eyes caught the last light and shone like two great red suns.

They wrestle amidst Brown grass, but not snow.

 

We also know North has snowy weather all the time, one example from Tyrion

Quote

They had left Winterfell on the same day as the king, amidst all the commotion of the royal departure, riding out to the sound of men shouting and horses snorting, to the rattle of wagons and the groaning of the queen's huge wheelhouse, as a light snow flurried about them.

It is snowing there even then. Yet I can't remember it snowing beyond the Wall in any Jon chapter.

 

What am I missing?

Edited by Corvo the Crow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I suppose we will have to submit our arguments to the Hague ;)

:);)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I've thought of this as well but thought Jorah was after? I could definitely be wrong though. 

 

Yes! Jorah hurt her but in the big scheme of things it didn't change anything, or much at least.

The betrayal is before the House of the Undying but she doesn’t discover it until afterwards, before she exiles him after taking Meereen. 

His betrayal does change things quite significantly actually. The information he gives to Varys leads to Robert’s assassination attempt on Dany, which is pretty significant!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The betrayal is before the House of the Undying but she doesn’t discover it until afterwards, before she exiles him after taking Meereen. 

His betrayal does change things quite significantly actually. The information he gives to Varys leads to Robert’s assassination attempt on Dany, which is pretty significant!

Yes, Jorah begins informing on Daenerys from the get go, and he continues informing on her until they reach Qarth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

We hear of how cold winters can be, especially beyond the Wall but when we get a description of the area immedieately beyond the Wall, it's like this

They wrestle amidst Brown grass, but not snow.

 

We also know North has snowy weather all the time, one example from Tyrion

It is snowing there even then. Yet I can't remember it snowing beyond the Wall in any Jon chapter.

 

What am I missing?

It can be really cold and not snow. Snow is not directly related to temperature is it? I live in a tropical region, só I'm definetely not an expert, but I've spend a winter in Europe and we would get snow days with temperatures around -2°C to -5°C and clear days with much lower temperatures around -10°C to -13°C. 

Edited by Lady Dacey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lady Dacey said:

It can be really cold and not snow. Snow is not directly related to temperature is it? I live in a tropical region, só I'm definetely not an expert, but I've spend a winter in Europe and we would get snow days with temperatures around -2°C to -5°C and clear days with much lower temperatures around -10°C to -13°C. 

Yes, cold doesn't equal snow and it was a poor choice of words on my part but I find it pretty interesting that a location in further North has no snow whereas a southern one constantly has snow. I mean, literally no snow because if the area around the Wall had snowy weather even for a time, that snow wouldn't melt with that cold weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12-1-2018 at 3:24 PM, Lady Anna said:

Did Jenny die with Duncan at Summerhall?

If I'm not mistaken, we do not know when she died (and whether this was at Summerhall or not), but it certainly is a possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How junior lords call their own men at arms? I assume that most of  those men live in their own farms and do not have access to maesters, so it is not possible to use ravens to call them. 

A) They sent riders to visit all places where they could find those warriors.

B ) Bonfires

C) Something else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are Maege Mormont and Galbart Glover still in Greywater Watch? This loose end has always bothered me....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

How junior lords call their own men at arms? I assume that most of  those men live in their own farms and do not have access to maesters, so it is not possible to use ravens to call them. 

A) They sent riders to visit all places where they could find those warriors.

B ) Bonfires

C) Something else

Likely A, I believe that’s how it worked in Sworn Sword (second Dunk and Egg). Perhaps the major lords have more efficient means.

8 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

Are Maege Mormont and Galbart Glover still in Greywater Watch? This loose end has always bothered me....

 

Yeah, we can only hope that they will show up in Winds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now