Rhaenys_Targaryen

Small Questions v. 10105

2,247 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Are you sure you read Varamyr closing his eyes? 

Well, I quoted this in my first post here:

The mousy little skinchanger closed his eyes and said, "I see them. They're coming along the streams and game trails . . ."

11 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Interesting. Might be worth its own thread if anyone cares enough to start one. I would suggest Varamyr may be somewhat anomalous - he is after all, rather strong as a skinchanger, and has had years of training, compared to Bran's year or so muddling through on his own/with Jojen.

I'm also not sure that he skinchanges several animals concurrently - though I could easily be forgetting, so don't take my word on that. Anyway, interesting question, could prompt quite a lot of discussion.

Yeah, I thought so too, on the anomalous part. I didn't say anything about skinchanging multiple animals, but there seems to be something going on with his shadowcat when the eagle is set on fire.

Quote

"Banners," he heard Varamyr murmur, "I see golden banners, oh . . ." A mammoth lumbered by, trumpeting, a half-dozen bowmen in the wooden tower on its back. "The king . . . no . . ."

Then the skinchanger threw back his head and screamed.

The sound was shocking, ear-piercing, thick with agony. Varamyr fell, writhing, and the 'cat was screaming too . . . and high, high in the eastern sky, against the wall of cloud, Jon saw the eagle burning. For a heartbeat it flamed brighter than a star, wreathed in red and gold and orange, its wings beating wildly at the air as if it could fly from the pain. Higher it flew, and higher, and higher still.

The scream brought Val out of the tent, white-faced. "What is it, what's happened?" Varamyr's wolves were fighting each other, and the shadowcat had raced off into the trees, but the man was still twisting on the ground. "What's wrong with him?" Val demanded, horrified. "Where's Mance?"

I don't think he's skinchanging both the eagle and the cat at the time though. To me it feels like it goes against the logic of it all. Might be the cat screams because they have such a strong bond or something to that effect.

I don't think I'm the right person to start such a topic however, I've only read all the books once and then I'm not one for speculating too much, so I might end up saying things like "interesting, but no" when others offer their insights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel I should start that topic since I asked the initial questions. I can, I just can't for a little bit. Computer is being shitty and it's not something I like to do on my phone (like now). 

If someone else starts that thread, could you drop a quick link here if that is ok with rules of this thread? I would like to talk more about this subject. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Interesting. Might be worth its own thread if anyone cares enough to start one. I would suggest Varamyr may be somewhat anomalous - he is after all, rather strong as a skinchanger, and has had years of training, compared to Bran's year or so muddling through on his own/with Jojen.

I'm also not sure that he skinchanges several animals concurrently - though I could easily be forgetting, so don't take my word on that. Anyway, interesting question, could prompt quite a lot of discussion.

I believe Varamyr "holds them enthrall" or something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RE: Skinchanging thread.  One of the recent Heresy threads was devoted almost entirely to skinchanging.  Truly a terrific read.  Too bad the forum update deleted everything.

I'd be interested in a such a thread again.  Keep us updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

 

Oops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

 

Oops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2016 at 3:43 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

There was a thread on it a while back...

 

Try this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

“Summer was snarling and snapping as he danced around the closest, a great ruin of a man wreathed in swirling flame. He shouldn’t get so close, what is he doing? Then he saw himself, sprawled facedown in the snow. Summer was trying to drive the thing away from him. What will happen if it kills me? the boy wondered. Will I be Hodor for good or all? Will I go back into Summer’s skin? Or will I just be dead?”
There are other examples, but this would suggest you are correct. Bran is unable to move at all while he is Hodor (I know he is paralysed, but he had been crawling before this). I would probably describe it as his awareness transferring from one body to another, so his automatic bodily functions still work (breathing etc) but things like movement, eating and such require his presence. Meera and Jojen remark on this slightly in a Storm of Swords, when they say Bran spends too much time in Summer and needs to eat as a human too.

 

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

 

 

9 hours ago, Aniel said:

 

 

9 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

 

 

10 hours ago, MtnLion said:

 

To you's guys and any others (Others included) that are interested in decoding the specifics of the skinchanger/warg topic from earlier. It's been a long day so I hope my starting questions make sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we to assume Ghost just ran along the length of the Wall to get around it?? Or did he get through via another way??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Are we to assume Ghost just ran along the length of the Wall to get around it?? Or did he get through via another way??

Quote

It was a long moment before he understood what was happening. When he did, he bolted to his feet. "Ghost?" He turned toward the wood, and there he came, padding silently out of the green dusk, the breath coming warm and white from his open jaws. "Ghost!" he shouted, and the direwolf broke into a run. He was leaner than he had been, but bigger as well, and the only sound he made was the soft crunch of dead leaves beneath his paws. When he reached Jon he leapt, and they wrestled amidst brown grass and long shadows as the stars came out above them. "Gods, wolf, where have you been?" Jon said when Ghost stopped worrying at his forearm. "I thought you'd died on me, like Robb and Ygritte and all the rest. I've had no sense of you, not since I climbed the Wall, not even in dreams." The direwolf had no answer, but he licked Jon's face with a tongue like a wet rasp, and his eyes caught the last light and shone like two great red suns.

Jon goes beyond the wall at Castle Black and finds Ghost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This small question is a just a dumb fancy. I've just re-read Davos' take on the burning of the DS sept and the statues of the Seven. I realize Stannis' men (or the queen's men?) killed a Lord/knight and a son or two who tried to stop it, and one lord (glass?) was tossed in jail for saying he couldn't support him.

Why didn't anyone ask him who the Nissa Nissa was for Lightbringer? Did no one know who that was? I don't blame the Myrmen nor Lyseni  for saying anything as mercs but surely someone knew who it was? If they did, why not ask who Nissa Nissa was? It's not as if Mel would shy away from explaining her gods. I mean she did survive a poisoning attempting through some means I'm not sure we're ever meant to understand. Any motive other than ignorance or self-preservation? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to Coldhands after the fight? Last seen he was heavily engaged in battle with the sights...what do weights do with something already dead I wonder? It's a shame Bran never dwells on him once he's in the cave. I guess he most likely joined the wights buried under the snow on the hillside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Jon goes beyond the wall at Castle Black and finds Ghost.

Look at me!  I'm dumb!

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Look at me!  I'm dumb!

Thanks!

No worries and happy to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Jon goes beyond the wall at Castle Black and finds Ghost.

For years I had almost the same question Bob Sacamano asked flapping around in my brain. I think I need to get my eyes checked<chuckle>

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is their any source for the core beliefs and actions for those who worship R'hllor?  The reason I ask is that Mel seems to perform some actions much differently than Thoros, or even Moqorro.  In particular:

 

Mel has a preference for burning people alive.  Yet through all of his travels through the Riverlands, Thoros used hanging whenever the band executed someone.  Moqorro also called for a man to be killed, but didn't specifically call for him to be burned alive (he was killed and thrown overboard.)

 

Mel is very aggressive towards other faiths, calling them all false gods and burning weirwoods and septs.  Thoros seems to show respect and courtesy towards septons...even calling one "brother", and showed respect for the ghost of High Hall.  Moqorro once called the drowned god a servant of the great other, but did not say that all other gods were false. 

 

I'm working under the assumption that Mel is being controlled...much as she controlled both Mayce and Rattleshirt, so I'm trying to figure out if she's acting contrary to a Red Priest and if so, by how much.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, daccu65 said:

Is their any source for the core beliefs and actions for those who worship R'hllor?  The reason I ask is that Mel seems to perform some actions much differently than Thoros, or even Moqorro.  In particular:

 

Mel has a preference for burning people alive.  Yet through all of his travels through the Riverlands, Thoros used hanging whenever the band executed someone.  Moqorro also called for a man to be killed, but didn't specifically call for him to be burned alive (he was killed and thrown overboard.)

 

Mel is very aggressive towards other faiths, calling them all false gods and burning weirwoods and septs.  Thoros seems to show respect and courtesy towards septons...even calling one "brother", and showed respect for the ghost of High Hall.  Moqorro once called the drowned god a servant of the great other, but did not say that all other gods were false. 

 

I'm working under the assumption that Mel is being controlled...much as she controlled both Mayce and Rattleshirt, so I'm trying to figure out if she's acting contrary to a Red Priest and if so, by how much.

 

Victarion burns the female slaves on the advice of Moqorro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Why didn't anyone ask him who the Nissa Nissa was for Lightbringer? Did no one know who that was? I don't blame the Myrmen nor Lyseni  for saying anything as mercs but surely someone knew who it was? If they did, why not ask who Nissa Nissa was? It's not as if Mel would shy away from explaining her gods. I mean she did survive a poisoning attempting through some means I'm not sure we're ever meant to understand. Any motive other than ignorance or self-preservation? 

Even if they are familiar with the story, why would they assume that a second Nissa Nissa is necessary?  Why do people here assume that a second Nissa Nissa is necessary?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Victarion burns the female slaves on the advice of Moqorro.

Don't have my books handy, so I'll have to review at a later date, but didn't Victarion burn/drown the slaves before discussing the act with Moqorro, only saying later that it was a gift to both gods? 

 

Moqorro did tell Victation to kill Maester Kerwin, but apparently did not specify that he was to be burnt alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2016 at 0:59 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

 

Damn it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now