Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

On 31 July 2016 at 2:41 AM, Hos the Hostage said:

I was browsing SSMs and came across this question about ASOS

Which are the four trials? All I can think of are (1) Hound's trial by combat (2) Tyrion's trial by judges (3) Tyrion's trial by combat (4) ?

I suppose the other categories refers to

Weddings: (1) Sansa-Tyrion (2) Edmure-Roslin (3) Joffrey-Margaery (4) Lysa-Petyr

Funerals: (1) Hoster Tully (2) Joffrey

Rickard Karstark maybe? Or Catelyn either? Not proper trials exactly but they fit when considered with the answer GRRM gave (which you posted further down)

On July 30, 2016 at 7:41 PM, Hos the Hostage said:

I was browsing SSMs and came across this question about ASOS

Which are the four trials? All I can think of are (1) Hound's trial by combat (2) Tyrion's trial by judges (3) Tyrion's trial by combat (4) ?

I suppose the other categories refers to

Weddings: (1) Sansa-Tyrion (2) Edmure-Roslin (3) Joffrey-Margaery (4) Lysa-Petyr

Funerals: (1) Hoster Tully (2) Joffrey

I think the fourth trial he's referring to is tyrions trial in the vale against cat.

Had random thoughts on RR when the actor who played Oberyn on GoT was flashed on the screen about the drama with Matt Damon's new movie, then I realized that I have no idea what the Viper was doing during the rebellion? 

24 minutes ago, jobmartell said:

Had random thoughts on RR when the actor who played Oberyn on GoT was flashed on the screen about the drama with Matt Damon's new movie, then I realized that I have no idea what the Viper was doing during the rebellion? 

I just closed that SSM while looking for something else. Don't get excited though, the short answer is we don't know:

[Where was Oberyn Martell during the rebellion?]

Good question. Offhand, I don't recall the answer. Maybe in Dorne, maybe across the narrow sea with a sellsword company. I'd have to check my notes to be certain.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/2763

We do know that sometime shortly after he was trying to raise Dorne for Viserys. 

Edit: you had me thinking Pascal was in the new Borne movie. But nope it's an upcoming movie about he and Matt Damon fighting monsters in ancient China. Huh.

Yep. Referred to as "Fantasy drama". Goes back to the #oscarsowhite in such using Matt Damon as the lead role in a movie about fighting dragons in ancient china. Which went back to Breakfast at tiffanys with Mickey Rooney. Anyway thanks. I knew about Oberyn trying to get Dorne in the action for visery but that was kind of way after the fact, correct? 

3 hours ago, jobmartell said:

He had no active role that the story tells us in the rebellion. I estimate he was probably overseas as a sellsword during the event. I made a timeline for Oberyn a few months ago. A good portion of it is speculation since he did so much and the only things were can really confirm are the ages of the Sand Snakes.

8 hours ago, jobmartell said:

In addition to what has been said, I'd like to add some speculations of my own. Perhaps the lack of participation on Oberyn's part during the Rebellion is an indication that Oberyn was not in Westeros at the time. I think that there is a possibility that Oberyn was across the narrow sea around this time gathering his bastard daughters, so they could be raised in Dorne. That thought is mainly based on Obara's possible years of birth (271/272 AC), the age of the children at the Water Gardens (aged 5 to 10), and a comment of Obara ("I was not [at the Water Gardens] long. I'm the whore's whelp, or had you forgotten?")

To me, that quote suggests that Obara was at or near the maximum age when arriving at the WG, suggesting that she was near 10, or perhaps already 10, arriving shortly before turning 11, and that her three younger sisters spent a significantly longer time there (thus, arrived at an earlier age).

With her birth in either 271 AC or 272 AC, Obara would have turned 11 in either 282 AC or 283 AC, and in order to have spend only little time at the WG, she would have arrived around this time as well.

We do not know in which order Oberyn retrieved his daughters, or when he began to look for them, but I'd think that he only began to search for them after he had both spend his time at the Citadel (minimally 2 years, based on his number of links), and after he had ridden in the sellsword companies (minimally 1 year with the Second Sons, followed by an unknown amount of time at the head of his own sellsword company). He also spend an unknown amount of time travelling the Free Cities, but I would presume that he did so during his "exile". Thus, considering that all of that would have occurred  after the start of his exile (~274 AC), the fact that he was back again in Westeros in time to conceive Tyene (in either 275 or 276 AC), and was back again in Westeros for the Storm's End and Harrenhal tourneys in 281 AC, there is only little time left.

I'd suppose that it is a slightly bigger chance that Tyene was conceived in 276 AC, as a temporary exile of only a year if very short. It is possible that Oberyn was in Westeros in early 280 AC as well, as that was when Elia married Rhaegar. We also don't know whether Oberyn travelled back to Westeros in between riding with the Second Sons and forming his own company, nor do we know how long he rode with his own company before leaving them.

I do think, though, that Oberyn would not have gone abroad to form a sellsword company after having brought his daughters to Sunspear. So the Citadel, travelling the Free Cities, and fighting in the sellsword companies most likely occured before going to find his daughters, and if such, he seems to have little time unaccounted for (though we do not know the exact order, i.e., whether Citadel or sellsword companies came first, IIRC) until we see him in Westeros in 281 AC at both the tourney at Storm's End and at the tourney at Harrenhal. So 281 AC, at least, seems largely accounted for, and the time in between the start of his exile until these tourney's can largely be filled with his travels, time at the Citadel, and time amongst the sellswords as well.

29 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Have we been told the story behind the gold coins in the purple and white checks of House Payne, or are we still waiting? 

Tyrion notes there is a story in ASOS but we haven't heard it. Someone should ask Pod.

58 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Are there any ideas on what was the book Roose Bolton burned in Harrenhal? Or was that scene there just to give us a glimpse at Roose's personality?

Unclear, but it happens at the same time that Roose finds out that Winterfell has fallen, that Stannis was defeated, that the Freys find out about Robb's wedding and Arya is inspired by Ned-Weirwood to escape.

So maybe the book convinced Roose that the Stark cause was lost and he had to change sides too.

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

@RumHam: Isn't there an SSM on why Roose burned the book? 

Not that I recall. I searched but all I found was some people on Reddit claiming he was asked about it in a video interview. 

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

Not that I recall. I searched but all I found was some people on Reddit claiming he was asked about it in a video interview. 

I though I recalled him saying that the act was designed to show what kind of person he was. 

I'm new to the site, and I was wondering if there are any other ASoIaF-related novels that are forthcoming or already published aside from the Dunk and Egg novellas, TWoIaF, and ASoIaF itself. I don't know if someone's already asked this, and I was too lazy to look through 54 pages for it :P.

26 minutes ago, FearlessBoggart said:

I'm new to the site, and I was wondering if there are any other ASoIaF-related novels that are forthcoming or already published aside from the Dunk and Egg novellas, TWoIaF, and ASoIaF itself. I don't know if someone's already asked this, and I was too lazy to look through 54 pages for it :P.

The Princess and the Queen, in the anthology Dangerous Women, and The Rogue Prince, in the anthology Rogues. 

Archived