Rhaenys_Targaryen

Small Questions v. 10105

1,645 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

A few of us (not me) believe that Belwas has orders to take down Barristan at the appropriate moment. 

Do you know what that believe is based on?

27 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

A few of us (not me) believe that Belwas has orders to take down Barristan at the appropriate moment. 

I'm not surprised. There's a theory for everything. Personally I suspect he's a glamored Robert Baratheon being warged by Benjen Stark under the orders of Bloodraven. 

2 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Do you know what that believe is based on?

You should direct that question to @Lord Varys.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

You should direct that question to @Lord Varys.

I actually never suggested anything of that sort. The idea I tossed around is that Belwas might actually turn out to be Illyrio's dagger at Dany's throat should it turn out that she would become a threat to Aegon. Unlike Selmy (who clearly was sent to Qarth to woo Dany into returning to Pentos with him) Belwas has no reason to be loyal to the Targaryens or Daenerys and (possibly) every reason to be loyal to Illyrio Mopatis.

Varys and Illyrio seldom sent out people for no reason. It could be that Belwas is just a colorful extra. But if he ever ends up playing an important role in the plot an assassination attempt on Dany would make the most sense if you ask me. The fact that nobody I know of came up with the idea makes me reasonably confident that only very few people expect such a development - which would make it a pretty decent surprise if George went down that road.

We all wonder how this Second Dance thing is going to begin. Sure, most likely Aegon will marry Daenerys, and the people in Westeros will believe she died in that pit as all the rumors traveling will tell them. Then the Targaryen loyalists can either declare for Aegon or burn their hidden Targaryen banners and go home. Most likely they will declare for Aegon. But that still isn't enough for the outbreak of a major all-or-nothing civil war.

Varys and Illyrio most likely will be among the first to learn that Dany is still alive after all, and finally coming to Westeros when they no longer have any interest in that particular development. Say, because Aegon has secured the Iron Throne and is making good progress in uniting and pacifying the Realm under his rule. They might decide to end the Dany threat before it actually becomes a threat - by killing her before she gets to Westeros. They could dispatch some new agent/assassin, or they might not need to do such a thing because Belwas is already there. All they would need to do is to send him a message.

And if this assassination attempt leaves Daenerys severely injured, disfigured, or losing a loved one (Daario? Missandei? Selmy? some Dothraki husband?) over it she might be very angry and determined to get even with the people behind that plot (i.e. Varys/Illyrio and Aegon). Especially if she also gets good information on Varys/Illyrio's origins and their past machinations.

I think this whole thing has to get personal in a very real sense, just as the historical Dance was. We won't get another Blood and Cheese or a murder similar to that of Lucerys Velaryon, but we should get event that draws Daenerys into this war on a personal level. On Arianne's side it is already the Quentyn thing. She is very likely going to blame him for his death, and depending how much influence Arianne is going to have over Aegon in the story to come that in itself could be enough to poison Aegon against Daenerys.

23 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Why do you say that about the Cape of Eagles?

Primarily it's shape: it looks distinctively like it may have been formed by a shield volcano at that location. If you look at this picture of Banks peninsula in New Zealand, it's clear that the two share an uncanny resemblance. Then you also have, as I mentioned above, the basalt used in the construction of Moat Cailin, which doesn't seem to have any other plausible local source.