IS Dany Mother Teresa?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Part of me wonders if Danerys (especially in her sojourn in the east) was partially inspired by Mother Teresa?

Like Mother T, Dany cares about the "poorest of the poor" the woman, the widow the orphan.

Mother T and Dany were accused of being patronizing to their "beneficiaries" and a symbol of a colonial mindset. The "great white hope" to the savage.

Both face hostility from the people for being "Foreigners" trying to impose their will. Read about Mother T's biography, and you will find that Hindu        extremists were not happy with her presence in Calcutta.

Finally, Mother T and Dany share a favorite color, blue.

I know Dany has a "naughtier" personal life than Mother T ever did. But who is to say she never had a secret romance with Gandhi or JPII?

Thoughts? Concerns?

3 minutes ago, Seaworth'sShipmate said:

:lmao:Splendid! Completely definitive!

And Martin's former (I think) Catholicism provides the perfect backdrop.

4 minutes ago, Seaworth'sShipmate said:

Like Mother T, Dany cares about the "poorest of the poor" the woman, the widow the orphan.

Huh--so, Meereen is Calcutta? The Pale Mare is cholera? I'm liking this more and more.

5 minutes ago, Seaworth'sShipmate said:

Thoughts? Concerns?

Well--does the Pope have an account here? This thread could potentially get ugly.

Unless we just stick to analyzing the "blue."

If Mother Teresa crucified most likely innocent people without a trial just because she felt like it, ordered the torture of innocent girls just because she thought that her father might know something, ordered the death of everyone who was 12years old and older just because they wore a special garment and basically causing havoc wherever she went with her WMD because she felt entitled to do so then yes they Dany is Mother Teresa.

If Mother Teresa crucified most likely innocent people without a trial just because she felt like it, ordered the torture of innocent girls just because she thought that her father might know something, ordered the death of everyone who was 12years old and older just because they wore a special garment and basically causing havoc wherever she went with her WMD because she felt entitled to do so then yes they Dany is Mother Teresa.

Who says Mother Teresa didn't do those things?

42 minutes ago, Seaworth'sShipmate said:

Part of me wonders if Danerys (especially in her sojourn in the east) was partially inspired by Mother Teresa?

Mother T and Dany were accused of being patronizing to their "beneficiaries" and a symbol of a colonial mindset. The "great white hope" to the savage.

Both face hostility from the people for being "Foreigners" trying to impose their will. Read about Mother T's biography, and you will find that Hindu        extremists were not happy with her presence in Calcutta.

I know Dany has a "naughtier" personal life than Mother T ever did. But who is to say she never had a secret romance with Gandhi or JPII?

Thoughts? Concerns?

This is definitely the most convincing piece of evidence.  Well done!

5 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

That is why I said "if". However at the end of the day no one had claimed that she did anything like that.

A number of critical articles have been written on mother Teresa, attacking her for refusing appropriate pain relief in her hospitals, as she found suffering holy, among other things; see Christopher Hitchens.

Anyhow, I think Dany is meant to have some of her "saintly" qualities, but she is better, more idealized. Dany is a combination of Teresa, a beautiful Disney creature with three powerful pets, and an overpowered alien incursion into a foreign land that runs into some difficulties, which (imo) will be solved in Winds.

Just now, kimim said:

A number of critical articles have been written on mother Teresa, criticizing her for refusing appropriate pain relief in her hospitals, as she found suffering holy.

I know that is why I wrote all those things that Dany did and hadn't used a more general expression.

53 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

If Mother Teresa crucified most likely innocent people without a trial just because she felt like it, ordered the torture of innocent girls just because she thought that her father might know something, ordered the death of everyone who was 12years old and older just because they wore a special garment and basically causing havoc wherever she went with her WMD because she felt entitled to do so then yes they Dany is Mother Teresa.

That's mostly because Mother Teresa never had the power to do that stuff. By many accounts she was a nasty piece of work and disputably a religious fundamentalist. If she had the power to prosecute and judge blasphemers and women who have abortions, she probably would have handed very severe penalties to them.

If Mother Teresa crucified most likely innocent people without a trial just because she felt like it, ordered the torture of innocent girls just because she thought that her father might know something, ordered the death of everyone who was 12years old and older just because they wore a special garment and basically causing havoc wherever she went with her WMD because she felt entitled to do so then yes they Dany is Mother Teresa.

That's mostly because Mother Teresa never had the power to do that stuff. By many accounts she was a nasty piece of work and disputably a religious fundamentalist. If she had the power to prosecute and judge blasphemers and women who have abortions, she probably would have handed very severe penalties to them.

Yeah, I think she was a female version of Ramsay Bolton, in reality. Dany is soft-hearted by comparison.

Yes. :)

Teresa’s free clinics provided care that was at best rudimentary and haphazard and at worst unsanitary and dangerous, despite the enormous amounts of donations she received. Multiple volunteers at Teresa’s clinics, such as Mary Loudon and Susan Shields, have testified to the inadequate care provided to the dying. Despite routinely receiving millions of dollars in donations, Teresa deliberately kept her clinics barren and austere, lacking all but the most rudimentary and haphazard care.

Volunteers such as Loudon, and Western doctors such as Robin Fox of the Lancet, wrote with shock of what they found in Teresa’s clinics. No tests were performed to determine the patients’ ailments. No modern medical equipment was available. Even people dying of cancer, suffering terrible agony, were given no painkillers other than aspirin. Needles were rinsed and reused, without proper sterilization. No one was ever sent to the hospital, even people in clear need of emergency surgery or other treatment.

Again, it is important to note that these conditions were not the unavoidable result of triage. Teresa’s organization routinely received multimillion-dollar donations which were squirreled away in bank accounts, while volunteers were told to beg donors for more money and plead extreme poverty and desperate need. The money she received could easily have built half a dozen fully equipped modern hospitals and clinics, but was never used for that purpose. No, this negligent and rudimentary care was deliberate – about which, see the next point. However, despite her praise for poverty, Teresa hypocritically sought out the most advanced care possible in the Western world when she herself was in need of it.

Teresa considered converting the sick and the poor to be a higher priority than providing for their actual needs, and believed that human suffering was beneficial and even “beautiful”. The following quote from Teresa says it all:

“I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people.” -Mother Teresa

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2008/05/mother-teresa/?repeat=w3tc#sthash.lMIBsiAz.dpu 

Mother Theresa helped cover for priests that molested and raped children. Mother Theresa worked to undermine secular medical work to keep poor people in her care. Mother Theresa did not have dragons.

So no, Dany is not catholic

Mother Theresa was camp commandant at Ravensbruck.

7 minutes ago, Dorian Martell said:

Mother Theresa helped cover for priests that molested and raped children. Mother Theresa worked to undermine secular medical work to keep poor people in her care. Mother Theresa did not have dragons. 
So no, Dany is not catholic 

Not every catholic is criminal by association.

I get that you're trying to be funny here, but the result is still ugly.

Archived