GRRM in IGN interview: Same ending since 1991

Joan Jett

14 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Well, it is a pretty big stretch to assume 'the same ending' includes a Jon-Arya romance, no? 

No actually it's not. Read the outline. It say in the last book R+L=J will be discovered and Jon and Arya's torment will end. Their torment over their forbidden love would end. Meaning that they would be able to be together. As a couple. Because that's they wanted, they were in love with eachother. 

The King and Queen thing just comes from foreshadowing. After King Robert arrives in Winterfell Jon and Arya literally have a conversation about how a queen is equal to a king. In their farewell Jon says to Arya "Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle" (in the context of the conversation they were talking about the Red Keep). Ned tells Arya point blank that she will marry a king. There's the symbolic foreshadowing where Arya chases, catches, and kisses a cat called "black bastard" and "real king of the castle".  Also Arya's direwolf is named after a queen and is an alpha female of a huge pack. Varamyr says ghost is "a second life fit for a king". 

There's also the fact that JonSnow is clearly GRRM's Aragorn. Aragorn was raised by Elrond as his son and then he fell in love with Elrond's daughter Arwen and married her. Jon was raised by Ned, so he will fall in love with one of Ned's daughters (Arya) and marry her.

Well, but the torment was supposed to begin in book 1 or 2 - which it did not.

And, actually, the 'castle' they are talking in that conversation was most likely Castle Black - because Arya was supposed to go there eventually (in the outline).

16 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Well, but the torment was supposed to begin in book 1 or 2 - which it did not.

And, actually, the 'castle' they are talking in that conversation was most likely Castle Black - because Arya was supposed to go there eventually (in the outline).

Castle Black and then the Red Keep ultimately. In the conversation Arya says "I wish you were coming with us." Ned, Sansa and Arya were headed to KL to live in the Red Keep.

Jon replies "Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle."

They couldn't have possibly fallen in love in book 1 or 2 because ARYA WAS 9 YEARS OLD. When GRRM wrote the outline he thought that she would age much faster, he's talked about this in interviews.

GRRM makes up for the age issue and their distance by putting in foreshadowing and constantly reminding us about how much they miss eachother. After Arya hits puberty maybe we can start expecting something.

Honestly, I think that GRRM sticks to his original ending is a HUGE red heering, nothing more. He has already changed so much, I don't see Jon x Arya/Sansa happening at all, there is no hard textual evidence to actually support that theory even in AGOT, and this theme TOTALLY disappears from the following books. There are going to be 30 years at least between his original outline and the actual ending, a lot will have changed since then. The only thing I see happening is the death of most POVs, especially the minor ones.

13 minutes ago, DasallmaechtigeJ said:

Honestly, (1) I think that GRRM sticks to his original ending is a HUGE red heering, nothing more. He has already changed so much, I don't see Jon x Arya/Sansa happening at all, (2there is no hard textual evidence to actually support that theory even in AGOT, and this theme TOTALLY disappears from the following books. There are going to be 30 years at least between his original outline and the actual ending, a lot will have changed since then. The only thing I see happening is the death of most POVs, especially the minor ones.

1. Do you know what a red herring is?

2. I suggest you reread AGOT pronto. Jon and Arya's special connection is established in the first book and touched on at least once in each following book. Especially in ADWD. GRRM has repeatedly reminded us about how much they care for each other. 

A lot can change in two books. People talk about the ending (Jon and Arya ending up with each other) as if it's just around the corner.

Arya may not appear to Jon as Arya, she is no one, after all. A FM. Jon may not be the same Jon after being well stabbed. Perhaps the next time they meet it will be as wolves. Perhaps the next time they meet, it will truly be as strangers. 

It's not impossible. It's a valid theory.

25 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

1. Do you know what a red herring is?

2. I suggest you reread AGOT pronto. Jon and Arya's special connection is established in the first book and touched on at least once in each following book. Especially in ADWD. GRRM has repeatedly reminded us about how much they care for each other. 

1. Unnecessary comment, tells me a lot about your character.

2. That they have a strong sibling connection is no evidence at all that there will be a sexual connection between them in the future. That they miss each other and have a strong bond has virtually nothing to do and is no reference for Jon x Arya happening in the future. If that were the case, half of Planetos/Earth would be breeding little Joffreys as we speak.

18 minutes ago, DasallmaechtigeJ said:

1. Unnecessary comment, tells me a lot about your character.

It was a serious question. It was just really out of place in your post and it didn't make much sense to me.

Also who said anything about a "sexual connection"? I never mentioned any such thing. There are suggestions in the books though. Such as Ygritte asking Jon "would you bed your sister"? Not to mention how many times he compares Ygritte to Arya.

@DasallmaechtigeJ

Jon and Arya's relationship is not a regular sibling relationship. They are closer to each other than they are to the rest of their family. They love each other differently. They miss each other more.  It's evident that GRRM thinks that closeness between sibling can be foundation for an incestuous relationship. That's how it was with Aemon and Naerys, they were each other's favorite sibling. 

The author has been beating their love into our heads. In every book. Consistently. He has done this for a reason, he is building towards something. GRRM has not emphasized any other relationship like he has theirs. They are the two POVs that think of each other the most. The closest of the close. Jaime and Brienne have thoughts of each other too, along with Sansa's thoughts of Sandor. Below I have compiled a few quotes from each of the books. I'll post the foreshadowing quotes later, though some may overlap. 

1. AGOT

Jon

The memory of her laughter warmed him on the long ride north. - Jon II

---

And Arya … he missed her even more than Robb, skinny little thing that she was, all scraped knees and tangled hair and torn clothes, so fierce and willful. Arya never seemed to fit, no more than he had … yet she could always make Jon smile. He would give anything to be with her now, to muss up her hair once more and watch her make a face, to hear her finish a sentence with him.  - Jon III

---

He remembered the day he had left Winterfell, all the bittersweet farewells; Bran lying broken, Robb with snow in his hair, Arya raining kisses on him after he'd given her Needle. - Jon V

---

He's hopeless with a sword. My sister Arya could tear him apart, and she's not yet ten. - Jon V

---

Jon Snow straightened himself and took a long deep breath. Forgive me, Father. Robb, Arya, Bran … forgive me, I cannot help you. He has the truth of it. This is my place. "I am … yours, my lord. Your man. I swear it. I will not run again." -  Jon IX

Arya

Jon grinned, reached over, and messed up her hair. Arya flushed. They had always been close. Jon had their father's face, as she did. They were the only ones. Robb and Sansa and Bran and even little Rickon all took after the Tullys, with easy smiles and fire in their hair. When Arya had been little, she had been afraid that meant that she was a bastard too. It had been Jon she had gone to in her fear, and Jon who had reassured her. -Arya I

---

No one talked to Arya. She didn't care. She liked it that way. She would have eaten her meals alone in her bedchamber if they let her. Sometimes they did, when Father had to dine with the king or some lord or the envoys from this place or that place. The rest of the time, they ate in his solar, just him and her and Sansa. That was when Arya missed her brothers most. She wanted to tease Bran and play with baby Rickon and have Robb smile at her. She wanted Jon to muss up her hair and call her "little sister" and finish her sentences with her. But all of them were gone. She had no one left but Sansa, and Sansa wouldn't even talk to her unless Father made her. - Arya II

---

She went back to the window, Needle in hand, and looked down into the courtyard below. If only she could climb like Bran, she thought; she would go out the window and down the tower, run away from this horrible place, away from Sansa and Septa Mordane and Prince Joffrey, from all of them. Steal some food from the kitchens, take Needle and her good boots and a warm cloak. She could find Nymeria in the wild woods below the Trident, and together they'd return to Winterfell, or run to Jon on the Wall. She found herself wishing that Jon was here with her now. Then maybe she wouldn't feel so alone. - Arya II

---

Arya chewed her lip and said nothing. She would not betray Jon, not even to their father. - Arya II

---

"I'm a girl," Arya said, exasperated. If the old man was down from the Wall, he must have come by way of Winterfell. "Do you know my brothers?" she asked excitedly. "Robb and Bran are at Winterfell, and Jon's on the Wall. Jon Snow, he's in the Night's Watch too, you must know him, he has a direwolf, a white one with red eyes. Is Jon a ranger yet? I'm Arya Stark." The old man in his smelly black clothes was looking at her oddly, but Arya could not seem to stop talking. "When you ride back to the Wall, would you bring Jon a letter if I wrote one?" She wished Jon were here right now. He'd believe her about the dungeons and the fat man with the forked beard and the wizard in the steel cap. -  Arya III

---

Everything Syrio Forel had ever taught her vanished in a heartbeat. In that instant of sudden terror, the only lesson Arya could remember was the one Jon Snow had given her, the very first. - Arya IV

---

A whooping gang of small children went running past, chasing a rolling hoop. Arya stared at them with resentment, remembering the times she'd played at hoops with Bran and Jon and their baby brother Rickon. She wondered how big Rickon had grown, and whether Bran was sad. She would have given anything if Jon had been here to call her "little sister" and muss her hair. Not that it needed mussing. She'd seen her reflection in puddles, and she didn't think hair got any more mussed than hers. - Arya V

2. ACOK

Jon

Jon could see fear and fire in her eyes. Blood ran down her white throat from where the point of his dirk had pricked her. One thrust and it's done, he told himself. He was so close he could smell onion on her breath. She is no older than I am. Something about her made him think of Arya, though they looked nothing at all alike. "Will you yield?" he asked, giving the dirk a half turn. And if she doesn't? - Jon VI
---
Ygritte watched and said nothing. She was older than he'd thought at first, Jon realized; maybe as old as twenty, but short for her age, bandy-legged, with a round face, small hands, and a pug nose. Her shaggy mop of red hair stuck out in all directions. She looked plump as she crouched there, but most of that was layers of fur and wool and leather. Underneath all that she could be as skinny as Arya. - Jon VI

Arya

When at last she slept, she dreamed of home. The kingsroad wound its way past Winterfell on its way to the Wall, and Yoren had promised he'd leave her there with no one any wiser about who she'd been. She yearned to see her mother again, and Robb and Bran and Rickon . . . but it was Jon Snow she thought of most. She wished somehow they could come to the Wall before Winterfell, so Jon might muss up her hair and call her "little sister." She'd tell him, "I missed you," and he'd say it too at the very same moment, the way they always used to say things together. She would have liked that. She would have liked that better than anything. - Arya I

---

They talked over her as she lay hurting, but Arya could not seem to understand the words. Her ears rang. When she tried to crawl off, the earth moved beneath her. They took Needle. The shame of that hurt worse than the pain, and the pain hurt a lot. Jon had given her that sword. Syrio had taught her to use it. - Arya V

---

Alone, she slid through the shadow of the Tower of Ghosts. She walked fast, to keep ahead of her fear, and it felt as though Syrio Forel walked beside her, and Yoren, and Jaqen H'ghar, and Jon Snow.  Arya X

3. ASOS

Jon

Ygritte trotted beside Jon as he slowed his garron to a walk. She claimed to be three years older than him, though she stood half a foot shorter; however old she might be, the girl was a tough little thing. Stonesnake had called her a "spearwife" when they'd captured her in the Skirling Pass. She wasn't wed and her weapon of choice was a short curved bow of horn and weirwood, but "spearwife" fit her all the same. She reminded him a little of his sister Arya, though Arya was younger and probably skinnier. It was hard to tell how plump or thin Ygritte might be, with all the furs and skins she wore. - Jon II
---
"If you kill a man, and never mean t', he's just as dead," Ygritte said stubbornly. Jon had never met anyone so stubborn, except maybe for his little sister Arya. Is she still my sister? he wondered. Was she ever? - Jon III

Arya

"NO!" Arya and Gendry both said, at the exact same instant. Hot Pie quailed a little. Arya gave Gendry a sideways look. He said it with me, like Jon used to do, back in Winterfell. She missed Jon Snow the most of all her brothers. - Arya I

---

"He's with the Night's Watch on the Wall." Maybe I should go to the Wall instead of Riverrun. Jon wouldn't care who I killed or whether I brushed my hair . . . "Jon looks like me, even though he's bastard-born. He used to muss my hair and call me 'little sister.'" Arya missed Jon most of all. Just saying his name made her sad. "How do you know about Jon?" - Arya VIII

---

Jon has a mother. Wylla, her name is Wylla. She would need to remember so she could tell him, the next time she saw him. She wondered if he would still call her "little sister." I'm not so little anymore. He'd have to call me something else. Maybe once she got to Riverrun she could write Jon a letter and tell him what Ned Dayne had said. - Arya VIII

---

He doesn't talk like he's lost his belly for fighting. "I know where we could go," Arya said. She still had one brother left. Jon will want me, even if no one else does. He'll call me "little sister" and muss my hair. It was a long way, though, and she didn't think she could get there by herself. She hadn't even been able to reach Riverrun. "We could go to the Wall." - Arya XII

4. AFFC/ADWD

Jon 

"He's to marry Arya Stark. My little sister." Jon could almost see her in that moment, long-faced and gawky, all knobby knees and sharp elbows, with her dirty face and tangled hair. They would wash the one and comb the other, he did not doubt, but he could not imagine Arya in a wedding gown, nor Ramsay Bolton's bed. No matter how afraid she is, she will not show it. If he tries to lay a hand on her, she'll fight him. - Jon VI

---

Jon felt as stiff as a man of sixty years. Dark dreams, he thought, and guilt. His thoughts kept returning to Arya. There is no way I can help her. I put all kin aside when I said my words. If one of my men told me his sister was in peril, I would tell him that was no concern of his. Once a man had said the words his blood was black. Black as a bastard's heart. He'd had Mikken make a sword for Arya once, a bravo's blade, made small to fit her hand. Needle. He wondered if she still had it. Stick them with the pointy end, he'd told her, but if she tried to stick the Bastard, it could mean her life. - Jon VI

---

"Arya." His voice was hoarse. "My half-sister, truly …" - Jon VI
---
May those deaths be long in coming. Jon Snow sank to one knee in the snow. Gods of my fathers, protect these men. And Arya too, my little sister, wherever she might be. I pray you, let Mance find her and bring her safe to me. - Jon VII
---
He wanted to believe it would be Arya. He wanted to see her face again, to smile at her and muss her hair, to tell her she was safe. She won't be safe, though. Winterfell is burned and broken and there are no more safe places.- Jon IX
---
It had been so long since he had last seen Arya. What would she look like now? Would he even know her? Arya Underfoot. Her face was always dirty. Would she still have that little sword he'd had Mikken forge for her? Stick them with the pointy end, he'd told her. Wisdom for her wedding night if half of what he heard of Ramsay Snow was true. Bring her home, Mance. I saved your son from Melisandre, and now I am about to save four thousand of your free folk. You owe me this one little girl. - Jon XI
---
Jon flexed the fingers of his sword hand. The Night's Watch takes no part. He closed his fist and opened it again. What you propose is nothing less than treason. He thought of Robb, with snowflakes melting in his hair. Kill the boy and let the man be born. He thought of Bran, clambering up a tower wall, agile as a monkey. Of Rickon's breathless laughter. Of Sansa, brushing out Lady's coat and singing to herself. You know nothing, Jon Snow. He thought of Arya, her hair as tangled as a bird's nest. I made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell … I want my bride back … I want my bride back … I want my bride back … - Jon XIII

Arya

Her home was gone, her parents dead, and all her brothers slain but Jon Snow on the Wall. That was where she had wanted to go. She told the captain as much, but even the iron coin did not sway him. Arya never seemed to find the places she set out to reach. - Arya I

---

Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell's grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan's stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow's smile. He used to mess my hair and call me "little sister," she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes. - Arya II

---

"Good." She had never cared if she was pretty, even when she was stupid Arya Stark. Only her father had ever called her that. Him, and Jon Snow, sometimes. Her mother used to say she could be pretty if she would just wash and brush her hair and take more care with her dress, the way her sister did. To her sister and sister's friends and all the rest, she had just been Arya Horseface. But they were all dead now, even Arya, everyone but her half-brother, Jon. Some nights she heard talk of him, in the taverns and brothels of the Ragman's Harbor. The Black Bastard of the Wall, one man had called him. Even Jon would never know Blind Beth, I bet. That made her sad. - The Blind Girl

24 minutes ago, kimim said:

Why oh why must the key point of the ending be a romantic pairing? Surely that's a minor point; in general terms, the endgame has got to involve a new Long Night and responses to it.

Jon and Arya's love was no "minor point" in the outline. It gave them conflict and influenced their actions. 

Everyone's jumping ship to Jon/Arya. What happened to Arya dying in the river lands and warning into Nymeria? What happened to that being foreshadowed several time each book?

when grrm said same ending since 1991 I don't think he meant every little detail he had in 1991. Arya is a little girl and I doubt we'll see her hit puberty before the books ending since there is not a 5 year gaP. When he said it'd be the same ending I think he meant to the overall plot, such as who wins the Game of Thrones and what goes down with the White Walkers. I don't think it has to do with every little subplot, such as romances. As in Jon/Arya.

I think the broad strokes may be more to do with what happens to Planetos, the seasons, the impending winter, the increased magic in all its forms etc... the bigger global picture rather than who shags/marries/kills who.  That's not to say that the relationships and power games won't matter - they always matter - it's just I'm not sure they are what he is referring to when he talks about the end being set in stone.    I think the he always intended the top 5 (Dany, Jon, Arya, Bran, Tyrion) to be important throughout the whole series but that doesn't mean they'll all survive to the very end.

The end of everyone's story arcs will be hugely dependent on whether

a.) A huge chunk of the population is wiped out by another cataclysmic long night / doom scenario and everything is massively changed on a global scale.   or

b.) Balance is somehow restored and magic dies out.  

C.) It all stays a bit magic, but not too much, and a whole succession of people end up on the throne for short reigns until it all settles down in a bit of an anticlimax.

My money is on (b)

I think our top 5 will be involved not only in dealing with the global scenario but possibly even in determining which of these scenarios plays out.  They may have to set aside their romantic, domestic or political ambitions in the meantime.

Re: Jon & Arya - No matter how 'ick' we may find the notion of this pairing, we can't rule it out. GRRM has form here.  Dany was only 13 when she married Drogo with a much bigger age gap than Arya & Jon.  We also have plenty of incestuous relationships and marriages, not forgetting that Jon & Arya are most likely cousins anyway.  I don't personally think it will happen (before people start arguing with me) because I believe Jon will sacrifice himself before the end.  There's a lot of foreshadowing about self sacrifice in the nights watch and also that people can't come back from the dead without consequences. We've also been told the end will be bittersweet.  I think (hope) they will be reunited before the end but they will both be very different than when they last met.  Jon may be part of a redemption arc for Arya or she may just carry on with an ever growing list of assassination targets (Jon's 'killers', All the Freys, LF, the Boltons, Theon, etc.).  I can definitely see Arya developing more into a warrior.  Maybe if she is to be a queen, it will be queen beyond the wall or queen in the north, but not queen in Kingslanding where she experienced such trauma and where she would be expected to behave like a show pony.  

For Tyrion, I think he may help the Starks somehow.  A number of times we're shown that he is interested in the North and the Wall (whereas nobody else in the south seems to be) and he even admires the Starks. He brings back messages from Jon to Winterfell and designs a saddle for Bran. He's not pleased about what happens to Ned.  He protects Sansa from Joffrey and then later from her marital obligations to himself.  He also has no love left for his own family.  I also believe that his love of dragons will make him want to help Jon and Dany (and maybe Aegon if he's real) and I think they could all end up having a shared purpose in whatever scenario above plays out

The historical Brans all seem to be remembered for something (except maybe Neds brother... Bran the strangled?), so I'm hoping there is more for our Bran than staying in a tree and living only a spiritual existence.  Maybe a LH type legend will be attached to him in years to come. 

6 minutes ago, Yevah said:

Everyone's jumping ship to Jon/Arya. What happened to Arya dying in the river lands and warning into Nymeria? What happened to that being foreshadowed several time each book?

when grrm said same ending since 1991 I don't think he meant every little detail he had in 1991. Arya is a little girl and I doubt we'll see her hit puberty before the books ending since there is not a 5 year gaP. When he said it'd be the same ending I think he meant to the overall plot, such as who wins the Game of Thrones and what goes down with the White Walkers. I don't think it has to do with every little subplot, such as romances. As in Jon/Arya.

Arya is a huge character. A main character. One of the first character that GRRM created for the series. She has the third most POV chapters behind Jon and Tyrion. Who Arya ends up with would not be a "small detail". Jon and Arya being together would not be a "small detail". 

GRRM will kind of reverse Rhaegar/Lyanna for that of Jon/Arya.  The FM will have a payment and order from someone powerful at court.  They will give the ultimatum to Arya to kill the "new" claimant to the throne, (who is Jon, but Arya does not know who he is yet), before the Great Council.  They will be in the woods, but instead of killing him (Needle already pointing at Jon's heart), Arya couldn't do it when she sees and recognized Jon.  Arya will explain to him about her ultimatum to get out of the FM order, to protect her loved ones, that she just found out are still alive, mainly Jon.  Yet they ordered her to kill him, thus intent on deceiving her.  Jon will rectify the situation since she stole him at "swordpoint" (thus a Lady Stark stealing a Targaryen Prince).

As king.. in front of all the court to see, in front of his wife and queen...

Jon will make "all the smiles died"... when he announces that he has taken a second wife, Arya.. and Dany will allow it.

12 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

Jon and Arya's love was no "minor point" in the outline. It gave them conflict and influenced their actions. 

In the original, there was a love triangle between Tyrion, Arya, and Jon. That is thankfully gone, as is the great love between Jon and Arya. After Jon leaves for the NW and Arya for KL beginning of Game, they do not meet. There is brother-sister fondness there, certainly, but that's about it.

Meanwhile, GRRM's decision to get rid of the five year gap means that Arya starts as a nine year old, surely much too young for romantic love to develop between her and Jon, and will be eleven in Winds. Unless GRRM is planning on reintroducing that five year gap sometime soon, or marrying Arya off to Jon at the ripe old age of twelve, no love story is liable to happen between Arya and anyone. 

Arya won't be older than twelve by the end of the series. That is no age for marriage nor an age in which you are usually old enough to make an informed decision.

A romance between Arya and Jon would be nothing but an infantile infatuation on Arya's part, and Jon would take advantage of her like some child molester (hello there, Drogo) if he went along with that. And iif Arya realized that she wasn't really into Jon five years later or so, the person she has become throughout the series would probably cut his throat to rid herself of her.

The idea that the arcs of the younger children end with happy marriages make no sense to me. Some of them - Sansa, Rickon - might end up in arranged marriages against their will but the idea that Arya would want to marry Jon Snow at the age of twelve is just insane. There is no reason for that even if they became lovers.

18 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I see you 'round the streets here Joan Jett and I usually agree with your take on things. The Jon+Arya thing... I can't see it happening. Major ick factor aside (still raised as siblings) it came across as different to me.

Throughout the story Jon thinks of his mother a lot as well. He has dreams he cannot explain that take him to the crypts under Winterfell, etc., and this is probably his true parentage calling at him.

Arya is very often described as being like Lyanna in looks and attitude. It seems like Jon thinks of Arya so much because of his pull to heritage and who his mother was. Something he desperately craves because it will give him his needed identity (a common theme among the big POV characters). 

Jon doesn't seem the type to either want to take WInterfell or the Iron Throne when he still feels a bastard. He would happily give that up to one of his remaining Stark brothers or sisters if asked of him. There might not even be an IT inthe end. I have a feeling that the dragon fire that made it will end up un-making it. There is also a chance that the North and South will draw a line in the sand and we end up with two kingdoms. I really, truly belive Val will be more important to Jon somewhere in his resurrection and possible "afterlife". He is linking himself and other people are linking him to being more of a wildling as time goes by.

I'm not 100% sure what you are proposing in your OP, so if I missed your point just let me know.

The idea of Jon+Sansa is hilarious! I can imagine Sansa's face wrinkling up at the idea of marrying her bastard brother :tantrum:

Hahaha I can see the exact reaction. On the other hand, I think Sansa's experiences as Alayne have given her some insight into the world of being a bastard so she's going to have an empathy toward it that she didn't before. 

Based on Sansa's thoughts about Jon in AFfC, if she and Jon meet again I think their relationship will evolve to be more congenial than before. Do I see them getting married, not so much.

1 minute ago, kimim said:

In the original, there was a love triangle between Tyrion, Arya, and Jon. That is thankfully gone, as is the great love between Jon and Arya. After Jon leaves for the NW and Arya for KL beginning of Game, they do not meet. There is brother-sister fondness there, certainly, but that's about it.

Meanwhile, GRRM's decision to get rid of the five year gap means that Arya starts as a nine year old, surely much too young for romantic love to develop between her and Jon, and will be eleven in Winds. Unless GRRM is planning on reintroducing that five year gap sometime soon, or marrying Arya off to Jon at the ripe old age of twelve, no love story is liable to happen between Arya and anyone. 

There are two books remaining. I've stated already that I don't think they will reunite until after Arya has gotten her first period. 

You are incorrect. Arya was going to start the series as a 9 year old even before GRRM thought of the 5 year gap. He came up with the 5 year gap when he realized that the kids weren't aging like he planned and they weren't mature enough to do what he planned for them. 

Also Sansa was married at 12 wasn't she? It's not completely unheard of. In ADWD Quentyn Martell was planning on marrying 12 year old Gwyneth Yronwood and it was OK. Arya will be turning 12 in TWOW. 

3 minutes ago, IceFire125 said:

GRRM will kind of reverse Rhaegar/Lyanna for that of Jon/Arya.  The FM will have a payment and order from someone powerful at court.  They will give the ultimatum to Arya to kill the "new" claimant to the throne, (who is Jon, but Arya does not know who he is yet), before the Great Council.  They will be in the woods, but instead of killing him (Needle already pointing at Jon's heart), Arya couldn't do it when she sees and recognized Jon.  Arya will explain to him about her ultimatum to get out of the FM order, to protect her loved ones, that she just found out are still alive, mainly Jon.  Yet they ordered her to kill him, thus intent on deceiving her.  Jon will rectify the situation since she stole him at "swordpoint" (thus a Lady Stark stealing a Targaryen Prince).

As king.. in front of all the court to see, in front of his wife and queen...

Jon will make "all the smiles died"... when he announces that he has taken a second wife, Arya.. and Dany will allow it.

That scenario makes no sense at all. The Faceless Men would never send Arya after Jon Snow because she knows and loves him - and the Faceless Men are never sent to kill people they know. That in itself makes it very unlikely that Arya is sent to kill a person in Westeros should the House of Black and White ever give her a mission to kill somebody. It will most likely be someone in Essos outside Braavos - somebody like Daenerys, perhaps. But not a member of her own family. That is just insane. Arya happens to know many members of the nobility in Westeros so she is very ill-suited assassin to work in Westeros.

Archived