Theon's life span?

Seaworth'sShipmate

How much longer would you say Theon has left to live?

Even if he is not killed by anyone.. I don't think he has a lot of time left :(.

His "reformation" at the hands of Ramsay likely took years off his life. Isn't it at all possible (likely I think) that Theon has some infection from the various teeth/limbs removed, or some form of shock/trauma from all he has expereinced?

I know that most people will hate this idea but I believe that Theon will die during TWOW and the Old Gods will use his life to pay for Jon's life.

"Then do the deed yourself, Your Grace." The chill in Asha's voice made Theon shiver in his chains. "Take him out across the lake to the islet where the weirwood grows, and strike his head off with that sorcerous sword you bear. That is how Eddard Stark would have done it. Theon slew Lord Eddard's sons. Give him to Lord Eddard's gods. The old gods of the north. Give him to the tree."
And suddenly there came a wild thumping, as the maester's ravens hopped and flapped inside their cages, their black feathers flying as they beat against the bars with loud and raucous caws. "The tree," one squawked, "the tree, the tree," whilst the second screamed only, "Theon, Theon, Theon."
Theon Greyjoy smiled. They know my name, he thought.

Arrgh! He is going to be a  Pirate King, with a peg leg and a mean left hook, and an eyepatch. Good Lord Bolton was just toughing him up a bit, and who needs teeth when you've got scurvy?

He'll live long enough to take the Seastone Chair and turn Euron into a pretty blue lampshade. A few more months, or half a season. Plenty long enough.

That being said, there are still some holocaust survivors alive today, in their late 80's and 90's, apparently unkillable. People like Józef Kowalski, who was in a concentration camp, but lived to nearly 114. He died just two years ago.

3 minutes ago, RobOsevens said:

I wouldn't bet on that on 

Then don't. :P By the end of COK Theon was thought for dead. Now that his POV has met up with another POV, GRRM wants us to think that this frail man has little to no time left. I agree with those posting the drowned god's words. What is dead may never die. Theon is a survivor. 

As for old Walder, I love the idea of his six million heirs being massacred and he lives on, the last of his house, unable to remarry.

Since this is a fantasy series, I don't know how much these factors would come into play, but:

He was forced into periods of incredible starvation by Ramsay (to the point where he's skin and bone, plus eating live rats with broken teeth) so that could've caused decreased ventricular mass and valve dysfunction. 

The abuse he endured definitely compromises his mental health and could even lead to a substance abuse problem.

We don't actually know the full extent of his physical abuse but it's frankly a miracle that he hasn't lost a whole hand or foot to infection yet. He might have sustained internal injuries at some point too. 

Again, this is fantasy and I think GRRM has something bigger in mind for Theon than a heart arrhythmia, but based on everything he's gone through and the fact that Westerosi medicine still involves treating infected wounds with leeches and maggots (which can actually introduce new bacterial infections).

On the other hand, human genetics doesn't work quite the same way in Westeros as it does here (see Targ superhumanism by virtue of incest). Why should any other aspect of biology?

Theon's tortures and imprisonment have certainly taken some years from his life. But I believe he will survive the story. The maesters could not do much for him. Maybe some other could... or not. But he still should have many years. What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.

6 minutes ago, Little Lark said:

Since this is a fantasy series, I don't know how much these factors would come into play, but:

He was forced into periods of incredible starvation by Ramsay (to the point where he's skin and bone, plus eating live rats with broken teeth) so that could've caused decreased ventricular mass and valve dysfunction. 

The abuse he endured definitely compromises his mental health and could even lead to a substance abuse problem.

We don't actually know the full extent of his physical abuse but it's frankly a miracle that he hasn't lost a whole hand or foot to infection yet. He might have sustained internal injuries at some point too. 

Again, this is fantasy and I think GRRM has something bigger in mind for Theon than a heart arrhythmia, but based on everything he's gone through and the fact that Westerosi medicine still involves treating infected wounds with leeches and maggots (which can actually introduce new bacterial infections).

On the other hand, human genetics doesn't work quite the same way in Westeros as it does here (see Targ superhumanism by virtue of incest). Why should any other aspect of biology?

To be fair Targs have a magical bloodline

Arrgh! He is going to be a  Pirate King, with a peg leg and a mean left hook, and an eyepatch. Good Lord Bolton was just toughing him up a bit, and who needs teeth when you've got scurvy?

He'll live long enough to take the Seastone Chair and turn Euron into a pretty blue lampshade. A few more months, or half a season. Plenty long enough.

That being said, there are still some holocaust survivors alive today, in their late 80's and 90's, apparently unkillable. People like Józef Kowalski, who was in a concentration camp, but lived to nearly 114. He died just two years ago.

I agree. Why tell the story about the kangaroo where the eldest son wasn't there and thus negated the outcome if George isn't using it to set up Theon.

4 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I know that most people will hate this idea but I believe that Theon will die during TWOW and the Old Gods will use his life to pay for Jon's life.

I don't think so. Old Nan said:

The monsters cannot pass so long as the Wall stands and the men of the Night’s Watch stay true.

By killing Jon, the remaining brothers failed to their oath. The magic protecting the Wall will leave it. It will have to go somewhere... In Jon.

"I am the sword in the darkness," Samwell Tarly said. "I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers. I am the shield that guards the realms of men."
"Then pass," the door said.

Archived