Where is Benjen Stark?

esilvia2003

I don't really see Benjen being anyone but Benjen. And although what happened to him seems a fairly open question, in reality I think there are limited explanations for his whereabouts:

1 - He is dead; he died in the same incident that killed Othor and Jafer or in a similar attack. 

2 - He is far north of the Wall, waiting out the winter as we are told Qhorin Halfhand did last time around. 

3 - He is in the Lands of Always Winter, a hostage to the Others.

4 - He is south of the Wall, raising the north against the Others - possibly as the Hooded Man in Winterfell. 

6 hours ago, dornishdame said:

I don't really see Benjen being anyone but Benjen. And although what happened to him seems a fairly open question, in reality I think there are limited explanations for his whereabouts:

1 - He is dead; he died in the same incident that killed Othor and Jafer or in a similar attack. 

2 - He is far north of the Wall, waiting out the winter as we are told Qhorin Halfhand did last time around. 

4 - He is south of the Wall, raising the north against the Others - possibly as the Hooded Man in Winterfell. 

I hope he's the hooded man in Winterfell, by far the best explanation of the HM.

18 hours ago, esilvia2003 said:

Can Benjen be Syrio Forel, Jaqan Haqar, and the Faceless Man all at once? 

Again, Benjen is Syrio, who is Jaqen Hagar, who is Tyrion, who is Rhaegar, who is Mance, who is Dany, who is Jason Mallister, who is Tansy, who is Reek, who is Ned, who is Willas, who is Jory, who is Oberyn, who is Jeor, who is Patchface, who is Marillion, who is Illyrio, who is Dorea, who is Belwas, who is Hoster, who is Doran, who is Cat, who is Chatya, who is Jon Arryn, who is Wyman Manderly, who is Lysa, who is Drogo, who is Barristan, who is Lemore, who is Edmure, who is Shae, who is Roose, who is Kyra, who is Balon, who is Osha, who is Cersei, who is Nan, who is Tywin, who is Margery, who is Tyrion again, who is the green grace, who is Grenn, who is Wun Wun, who is Sam, who is Leaf, who is Sansa, who is Leathers, who is Arya, who is Aemon, who is Griff, who is Mandon, who is young Griff, who is Victarion, who is Tywin again, who is the Dusky woman, who is Euron, who is Pyat Pree, who is Dario again. Get it?  

8 hours ago, dornishdame said:

Good synopsis. 

I don't believe he is the Hooded man, but there are people who make a good case for it like Bemused.  When the HM says to then "false is what you were" it makes me think he was in the Riverlands when Theon swore fealty to Robb, because before that moment he really was just a hostage/ward, but he obviously went back on that pledge which would make him false.  I will admit tho that he definitely meets all the criteria, Theon would think he was dead, would recognize him, and he would have every reason to be fucking with the Boltons.

On March 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Good synopsis. 

I don't believe he is the Hooded man, but there are people who make a good case for it like Bemused.  When the HM says to then "false is what you were" it makes me think he was in the Riverlands when Theon swore fealty to Robb, because before that moment he really was just a hostage/ward, but he obviously went back on that pledge which would make him false.  I will admit tho that he definitely meets all the criteria, Theon would think he was dead, would recognize him, and he would have every reason to be fucking with the Boltons.

That's what's made me think that the Hooded Man is the Blackfish.

5 hours ago, b00gieman said:

Like I said in the thread with the same title that I started Benjen is right now in the clutches of the Others:

http://howthegameofthronesends.blogspot.com/2016/02/where-is-benjen-stark.html

This forum is like the following commercial when it comes to what I post

If I post and say it it's like the plague and its avoided at all cost.

Just throwing this out there... The reason that I usually don't care about your posts, is I don't give one lick about TWOT, which is something you seem to hold as very important to all of your theories. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't care. At all. 

Benjen Stark is dead. 

When Theon dreams of all the dead at a feast in Winterfell, Benjen is not there. He sees Robert, Ned, Robb and Lyanna but no Benjen.

Good point. Also Theon sees all of Neds family who are dead. He saw Rickard and Brandon, Lyanna and Ned and Robb Stark. Also present are Robert Baratheon and soldiers and men of Winterfell who died in Kings Landing.

Besides Rickard, Lyanna, and Brandon all other dead souls he dreams of were all present at the feast Ned threw for Robert Baratheon visiting. Benjen was at that feast so if he was dead at that time when Theon held Winterfell and had that dream he should have appeared in it. This point to Benjen being alive still.

Of course it's had to have been at least 1 1/2 years since that dream so he could have died somehow by end of ADWD.

On 3/1/2016 at 6:10 PM, Kenton Stark said:

I hope he's the hooded man in Winterfell, by far the best explanation of the HM.

On 3/1/2016 at 8:02 PM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Good synopsis. 

In my opinion, the Hooded Man is either Benjen, Harwin or Hallis Mollen.  Realistically, I think it can only be one of three people - Benjen himself, Hallis Mollen and Harwin. Theon clearly believes that the Hooded Man is someone he knows and believes to be dead and therefore does not, I feel, entirely believe them to be real. They are just one of the ghosts that haunt him. Benjen, Hal and Harwin all fit this description. And while Lady Stoneheart has a Northman with her when Brienne encounters her in Feast, he is unnamed. That said, thematically I feel that Benjen is an excellent candidate and if you twisted my arm and forced me to pick I might just pick him. 

I really hope we find out Benjen's fate in Winds. There is this moment in Thrones when Jon speaks to Tyrion about going after Benjen:

Far off to the north, a wolf began to howl. Another voice picked up the call, then another. Ghost cocked his head and listened. "If he doesn't come back," Jon Snow promised, "Ghost and I will go find him." He put his hand on the direwolf's head.

"I believe you," Tyrion said, but what he thought was, And who will go find you? He shivered. (Tyrion III in Thrones)

Does this foreshadow Jon being the POV that will take us farther north than ever? Will he do as he said and go north in search of Benjen? I am not sure. 

I think Benjen has become an Other or their agent and will be a very important intermediate character to negotiate a new pact between Jon as Lord of Winterfell and the Others. He will explain to Jon what "Winter is coming" really means and the connection between Starks of old and ice creatures.

Archived