Short parenting survey - parents and non-parents please respond!

Kalbear

AAAA

I have never seen this before, but I think all A's with some parental guidance would often lead to all the B's in appropriate measure.

Eventually the same without parental guidance? Not sure as I didn't have much of worth myself.

4 hours ago, sologdin said:

what a pack of bleeding hearts all'y'all are.  the reason to go A on everything is to promote remunerative child labor on the one hand and getting kid out of the house by age 18 at the latest on the other.

Good luck to you on your path, my friend.  Nice call on this bullshit, too.

Well since were supposed to assume the answers are for our child I have to pick A and B for each category. Sorry I would never encourage any of these behaviors as a tradeoff or some sort of zero sum situation where in order to be A we have to be horrible at B. Thats a ridiculous proposition. All of the options are important for a well rounded young person, at least in our family.

1. A and B

2. A and B

3. A and B

4 A and B

20 hours ago, Ormond said:

Perhaps it's because I'm not a parent, but I never though of "touching babies without permission" as being a problem. :)   I would tend to see trying to comfort another child who is crying as being the essence of good behavior. But certainly if that is a common rule that parents have I would go with "considerate" as being more important than "well-behaved."

I interpreted it more as though "what are the motivations behind the options?"  Being well-behaved implies, to me, obeying or being good being that's what you were told/taught to be "because".  Whereas in being considerate, you may still be well-behaved because you are considerate.

Way I see it, B on the final question pretty much encapsulates the other three B options.

I didn't choose B on the last as a strategic 'how can I beat Kal's authoritarian test' but because I would like my daughters to have good manners, respect for guest or host friends strangers etc as I believe the pros far outweigh the cons. And having good manners doesn't mean they can't be confrontational to ideas or social behaviors they might find distasteful-- it just means that they're more likely to be successful when doing so. IMO, of course. 

Archived