March 2016 Reads

Garett Hornwood

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, beniowa said:

You're in for a heck of a ride.

I'm really digging The Labyrinth of Flame.  I'm only 1/3 through, but it feels like a ton has happened already.  I hope life slows down enough that I can get this finished before The Spider's War comes out next week.

Started reading The City of Stairs (The Divine Cities 1) - Not getting into it for some reason (the very weird names could be one small reason). Ill give it some time and if I get into it Ill probably read book 2 City of Blades.

After that I want to give The Goblin Emperor a shot - heard some good things about it and the blurb on goodreads sounds interesting. 

Around mid march The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne 3) should be a lot of fun - the sample chapters out on tor have hyped me up for this book.

And if time permits I also want to do a reread of The Count of Monte Cristo - one of my all time favorites.

After two more Nero Wolfe's at the end of February I am now 100 (of 540) pages into the last book of Vance's Lyonesse trilogy "Madouc". So far it is almost like a farcical replay of the Suldrun tragedy that begins the first book (true to the Marxian dictum?)

I've started reading Eco's The Name of the Rose. Loving it so far. Erudite but not overwhelming.

The release of The Spider's War this month slipped my mind. I suppose I now know what I'll be using that B&N gift card for. I still haven't read Widow's House.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

I've started reading Eco's The Name of the Rose. Loving it so far. Erudite but not overwhelming.

The release of The Spider's War this month slipped my mind. I suppose I now know what I'll be using that B&N gift card for. I still haven't read Widow's House.

I just had to ignore the Latin (and other passages in foreign languages).  Like reading Dorothy Dunnett.

Just finished The Hound of the Baskervilles.  Just started A Princess of Mars.

After I will either read The Heroes or the last book of The Long Price Quartet.

6 hours ago, Barty said:

Started reading The City of Stairs (The Divine Cities 1) - Not getting into it for some reason (the very weird names could be one small reason). Ill give it some time and if I get into it Ill probably read book 2 City of Blades.

After that I want to give The Goblin Emperor a shot - heard some good things about it and the blurb on goodreads sounds interesting.

If you think the names in City of Stairs are weird then I'm not sure how you're going to get on with The Goblin Emperor...

I finished the Alexander Hamilton biography minutes ago.  Really interesting but sections dealing with Adam's administration made me realize how little I know about the French Revolution.

Any good pop history books that deal with it and the rise of Napoleon?

40 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Barty - Trust your instincts.  You're having trouble getting into it because it isn't very good.  Listen to me and not Darth Richard.

That said, Darth Richard is correct that the release of Spider's War is a nice event next week.

Right, or you know, the dozens of others on this board. :P

6 hours ago, williamjm said:

If you think the names in City of Stairs are weird then I'm not sure how you're going to get on with The Goblin Emperor...

I wish authors wouldnt do that. It somehow makes getting into the story a bit harder for me. Still gonna give it a proper shot though - hopefully it stops bothering me at some point. 

2 hours ago, Triskan said:

Barty - Trust your instincts.  You're having trouble getting into it because it isn't very good.  Listen to me and not Darth Richard.

That said, Darth Richard is correct that the release of Spider's War is a nice event next week.

Lol - when it some to fantasy books I'm reading, I'm always happy for such instincts to be proven wrong. Having said that, I'm still not loving it.

Everyone seems  to be waiting eagerly for The Spider's War - I might just start reading The Dagger and The Coin series instead of this soon.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is typical later Gaiman: lovely prose, but a rehash of themes from his previous work. It paints a nice picture, but really should have been left as a short story; there isn't enough meat to justify a full novel.

Now for something completely different - The Tales of Ensign Stål by Johan Runeberg. 

I finished Tim Powers' Medusa's Web. I thought it was fairly good although maybe not among Powers' best work. I think perhaps his fantasy tends to work better when he places it in historical settings rather than in (mostly) the present day, I think there's something about the book being set in 2015 that makes it more obvious how odd some of the decisions taken by the characters are (even if that is partly explained by the strange events they've been experiencing since they were children), in particular they seem to be far too trusting of people who are blatantly untrustworthy. I did find the central mystery of the 'spiders' to be interesting, Powers is probably one of the best authors around at inventing mythologies of supernatural events and the plot was compelling once it got going.

Not sure what I'll read next yet. Probably something short since The Spider's War is going to be out in a few days (March's reading look like it may end up being unusually spider-themed).

Archived