Dating: Hell is Other People

At least, that's what it can feel like sometimes.

In my case, though, hell is a bad cough. I agreed to a date for tomorrow, but then I caught a nasty cold over the weekend. While I'm feeling much better than I did back on Sunday, I fear I'll still be coughing quite a bit tomorrow. Seriously considering calling it off, but then I'd really like to see her again, and I fear I might disappoint her by quitting on such a short notice. Meh... any advice?

I'd say go for it. Honestly if you're physically well enough to go then I see no reason not to, I doubt if there is chemistry between you two that a cough would put her off..

Anyway, what's there to lose? The likelihood is that if you cancel anyway she most likely won't want to go on another date.. It's entirely up to you though, there's nothing to lose by going and a lot to potentially lose by not going.

I posted about this on a dating thread a long, long time ago, but still with a girl I met on match for over a year now. Things are great. I reckon she may just be the one. I hope things in the relationship world are going great for everyone else, as well. 

3 hours ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

At least, that's what it can feel like sometimes.

In my case, though, hell is a bad cough. I agreed to a date for tomorrow, but then I caught a nasty cold over the weekend. While I'm feeling much better than I did back on Sunday, I fear I'll still be coughing quite a bit tomorrow. Seriously considering calling it off, but then I'd really like to see her again, and I fear I might disappoint her by quitting on such a short notice. Meh... any advice?

Be honest with her and just ask? Personally if I had a date and someone told me about a sniffle I'd be whatever lets go anyway. But I know when I was dating my wife she was the opposite, she has bad asthma and colds really knock her around.

57 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Be honest with her and just ask? Personally if I had a date and someone told me about a sniffle I'd be whatever lets go anyway. But I know when I was dating my wife she was the opposite, she has bad asthma and colds really knock her around.

Yeah, that is what I would do as well.  It makes it clear that you aren't blowing her off, which is good. 

5 hours ago, TerraPrime said:

I'd rather you cancel than to possibly infect me with your cough. But that's just me.

Agreed.  

I had a date Sunday with an old friend.  He was very impressed by "how little I had changed".  I reminded him that he met me as an 18 year old sex-worker.  And shit don't change much.  Certainly not people.  

I am waiting for that follow-up call.

5 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Go with this

Went on the second date with the military guy. He's doing a pretty effective job of undermining all my negative stereotypes/past experiences with military types (which is pretty much limited to four guys I went to high school with who went into the army, and were mostly vaguely misogynist dipshits). Not sure when he'll be in town next, but I'd be up for seeing him again :)

A guy I texted with on OK Cupid back in...last August or something, I think, who called me once when I was in a crowd and never called again, sent me a really oddly earnest text the other night pointing out that, all right, we hadn't been in touch in months, but OKC gives us 99% and we own it to science to check the validity of the algorithm. I'm trying to come up with a nice way to say that every further interaction I have with him turns me off him more, while not saying, you know, that, but also not letting him off the hook of the "clearly, maths isn't everything" style response he HAS WALKED INTO.

Sadly, this was five minutes after Mad Economist Guy spent an hour and half explaining my emotions to me in supply-demand graphs, (deep regret that he didn't not have a whiteboard to hand) which I found, alas, kinda cute. (Also hopeless and frustrating and a further round of 'what is wrong with me' and 'why am I putting any effort into making plans with this person' and 'I just tried to ask if you know whether you'll be in Southern Africa in the first half of March, it should have taken five minutes and three text messages, why did I get to a point where it's two weeks later and both of us are shouting?', but cute.)

1 hour ago, Datepalm said:

A guy I texted with on OK Cupid back in...last August or something, I think, who called me once when I was in a crowd and never called again, sent me a really oddly earnest text the other night pointing out that, all right, we hadn't been in touch in months, but OKC gives us 99% and we own it to science to check the validity of the algorithm. I'm trying to come up with a nice way to say that every further interaction I have with him turns me off him more, while not saying, you know, that, but also not letting him off the hook of the "clearly, maths isn't everything" style response he HAS WALKED INTO.

Sadly, this was five minutes after Mad Economist Guy spent an hour and half explaining my emotions to me in supply-demand graphs, (deep regret that he didn't not have a whiteboard to hand) which I found, alas, kinda cute. (Also hopeless and frustrating and a further round of 'what is wrong with me' and 'why am I putting any effort into making plans with this person' and 'I just tried to ask if you know whether you'll be in Southern Africa in the first half of March, it should have taken five minutes and three text messages, why did I get to a point where it's two weeks later and both of us are shouting?', but cute.)

good grief DP :lol: I'm sorry but how do you find some of these people 

3 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

I find them online, I find them in real life...it's a gift, really. Clearly, something about me says, yes, talk to me in numbers.

Well, I guess I like you 4% more than before :)

I hate dating... Like, abhor it. And until I decide change is good, the continuum of me being single will be uninterrupted. Plus, TBH, I am not an easy person.

Not really a fan of online dating, which I guess limits my options somewhat. I'd much prefer to meet someone on a night out but it's pretty hard with me currently being in the UK and everyone on "nights out" being drunk.

20 minutes ago, Knute said:

Not really a fan of online dating, which I guess limits my options somewhat. I'd much prefer to meet someone on a night out but it's pretty hard with me currently being in the UK and everyone on "nights out" being drunk.

You're not liking the UK very much are you :lol: 

What part you living in? 

but yeah, i'm in the same boat...but i'm also extremely drunk on nights out. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Knute said:

A popular recommendation here is just to go out and do things you enjoy. Join a club, or a gym, do one of those meet-up thingies, visit some museums, stuff like that. That way you meet people with shared interests, which is always a bonus. You get at least one common ground!

Dog walking is also a great way to meet new people, some of who you may eventually go on a date with. A dog really is a perfect ice breaker. I freely admit to being very award socially and struggling to initiate and hold a proper conversation. But when I'm walking the dog it's easy to start talking to someone (what breed is he? How old? Isn't he gorgeous etc) and from there, things have in the past built up to a date (this was another dog walker and our walks coincided so we saw each other most days, to be clear). 

10 hours ago, Mandy said:

I got this before from a guy.  Ended up seeing him for about a month, but in the end he was cray :P

It wasn't even a cute "hey, look, nerdy joke" type line, it was...I'm trying to capture the nuances of the whinyness of the hebrew here...like "does 99% mean nothing to you? What, do you think you know better than the system?"

Archived