Dating: Hell is Other People

Yes, it's counter-intuitive. As one heads more deeply into the hard sciences, one is supposed to run into more and more asocial weirdos, supposedly. In fact, I've been loosely finding the opposite.

Oh! 99% OKC guy? Graphic Designer.

Right, I need to go hit on a mathematician. For science.

1 hour ago, Arkhangel said:

Dude, Norwegians. Have you seen Norwegians? Beer goggles not required.

QfT

Heck, That one Norwegian I used to hang out with a lot just... broke any and all ice with his huge smile. Awkwardness? Around that tall, handsome guy with the incredible smile? Impossible.

ETA: Well, Datepalm, I'm a single mathematician, so there's that :P Never mind the distance and the fact that my heritage might be a bit... problematic in your place.

ETA2: On a related note, I had an appointment at the dentist today and his assistant was absolutely hitting on me. Darn. I wish I wasn't living some 200 km away from my parents (still go to the dentist there because he's just great though).

20 minutes ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

QfT

Heck, That one Norwegian I used to hang out with a lot just... broke any and all ice with his huge smile. Awkwardness? Around that tall, handsome guy with the incredible smile? Impossible.

ETA: Well, Datepalm, I'm a single mathematician, so there's that :P Never mind the distance and the fact that my heritage might be a bit... problematic in your place.

ETA2: On a related note, I had an appointment at the dentist today and his assistant was absolutely hitting on me. Darn. I wish I wasn't living some 200 km away from my parents (still go to the dentist there because he's just great though).

I've seen just as many cute English girls as I have seen back in Norway; may just be my preferences though :P On average though I see brits wear a lot more makeup (especially for nights out)

12 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Yes, it's counter-intuitive. As one heads more deeply into the hard sciences, one is supposed to run into more and more asocial weirdos, supposedly. In fact, I've been loosely finding the opposite.

It might be that the hard sciences offer more and more of a type of asocial weirdo that can communicate with you rather well. People for who the intricacies of human interaction are difficult enough to start with, and have years of experience just barrelling through.

On 4/3/2016 at 4:30 AM, lessthanluke said:

That's because drinks in Norway are crazy expensive.

On 4/3/2016 at 10:58 AM, Knute said:

It's all relative though, everything in Norway is way more expensive due to the average income.

On 5/3/2016 at 10:10 PM, lessthanluke said:

I've been to Norway. No where did I get a pint that cheap. Even cans from the shop were totally insane prices.

Try travelling to both from a 3rd country when the exchange rate to the pound is utter shit.  I can't remember booze prices in Norway, but on Gotland in Sweden (years ago granted) it was 60-65kronor for a beer, which translated to $12AUD.  Then I travelled to the UK and 4 quid for a pint in London felt cheap by comparison, but was actually about the same price.  As a result I spent a lot more in London :P  Bergen was crazy expensive for everything though which is the only place in Norway I remember the prices.  At least in Sweden the big one that can bite you in the ass is the spirits vs beer thing, since spirits are heavily taxed.  Out at a club in Stockholm in 2012 I forgot about this and a vodka & soda was 120kronor, but a pint of cider was only 60.  One is only slightly more than Sydney while the other is double it.

On 5/3/2016 at 2:15 AM, Lily Valley said:

I have a rather good date tomorrow.  Army surplus shopping, crawfish and season 4 of...ya know.  I also got to tease the hell out of the whole "netflixandchill" thing.  This is an old friend of mine.  I hope it goes well.

I have no idea what the season 4 in question is, but I hope it goes well :P

On 5/3/2016 at 8:27 AM, Arkhangel said:

The standards across all the Scandi countries is really quite high.  Gender doesn't matter, there are so many pretty people around...it's one of the reasons I love Stockholm so much (it has that while having a similar Harbour city vibe to Sydney).

On 4/3/2016 at 4:30 AM, lessthanluke said:

That's because drinks in Norway are crazy expensive.

On 4/3/2016 at 10:58 AM, Knute said:

It's all relative though, everything in Norway is way more expensive due to the average income.

On 5/3/2016 at 10:10 PM, lessthanluke said:

I've been to Norway. No where did I get a pint that cheap. Even cans from the shop were totally insane prices.

Try travelling to both from a 3rd country when the exchange rate to the pound is utter shit.  I can't remember booze prices in Norway, but on Gotland in Sweden (years ago granted) it was 60-65kronor for a beer, which translated to $12AUD.  Then I travelled to the UK and 4 quid for a pint in London felt cheap by comparison, but was actually about the same price.  As a result I spent a lot more in London :P  Bergen was crazy expensive for everything though which is the only place in Norway I remember the prices.  At least in Sweden the big one that can bite you in the ass is the spirits vs beer thing, since spirits are heavily taxed.  Out at a club in Stockholm in 2012 I forgot about this and a vodka & soda was 120kronor, but a pint of cider was only 60.  One is only slightly more than Sydney while the other is double it.

On 5/3/2016 at 2:15 AM, Lily Valley said:

I have a rather good date tomorrow.  Army surplus shopping, crawfish and season 4 of...ya know.  I also got to tease the hell out of the whole "netflixandchill" thing.  This is an old friend of mine.  I hope it goes well.

On 5/3/2016 at 8:27 AM, Arkhangel said:

The standards across all the Scandi countries is really quite high.  Gender doesn't matter, there are so many pretty people around...it's one of the reasons I love Stockholm so much (it has that while having a similar Harbour city vibe to Sydney).

33 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Imo the Baltics have the best looking females: not sure which country has the best looking males though

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think they were asking you. Practice interview questions for the museum perhaps?

Ooooh, you're right!!!

I can see how it's gonna go down now. 

*holds up ancient relic* 

Had you dated....this artifact??? CAN you date it???? 

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Ooooh, you're right!!!

I can see how it's gonna go down now. 

*holds up ancient relic* 

Had you dated....this artifact??? CAN you date it???? 

Ooh I wish I had artefacts to test you on now! Let's go off an internet picture! Can you date this Theda? No cheating!

http://classconnection.s3.amazonaws.com/525/flashcards/580525/png/501328582877580.png

1. Be nice to the new person.  I know it is friendly raillery but a person with 6 posts may not.
  2. I don't know what to do.  My hook-up guy is interested in something much more serious than me.

Basic info:  I am 44, soon to be 45 and I have never been in a serious relationship.  I'm pretty comfortable being a confirmed spinster.  I am comfortable saying, 'it's nice to have a man around and I like you but I will not fall in love with you.'

I feel like it is still true that women are expected to attach emotionally to someone she is having sex with and I won't attach just because of the sex.  I think he is the guy from the Sex and the City meme, Men are Like Cabs.  I don't want to be that random person he dates at precisely the moment that he is willing to commit. 

But I also know that a woman who won't commit is considered a cold bitch.  A man who won't commit is just a typical man but a woman who won't commit is somehow a bad person.  It doesn't matter if we all agree that is an unjust double standard, in the socio-political sense, that's the way it is.

For my own selfish pleasure I don't want to end this but I think that the longer it goes on the more he is going to hate me when he realizes I am not going to fall in love with him.  So what do I do?  End it in order to protect both of us or let it go until he figures it out for himself? (and then hope he doesn't get too nasty with that realization?)

I would either make him realize it and hope he agrees to leave it as it is or end it. I had a similar experience(though I am, admittedly, much less generally experienced as far as dating goes) in that I realized the girl I was dating for a while had fallen for me while I hadn't fallen for her. It would have been so much worse for both of us if I hadn't broken it off, but I did(for us, it wouldn't have worked the same as for you cause we were/are looking for commited relationships). 

Basically, if he can agree to keep it the way you want the relationship to be, then great! But if he wishes more and isn't willing to let go of the idea, to break it off.

Archived