Dating: Hell is Other People

22 hours ago, karaddin said:

I'm unconvinced. I imagine dating a lawyer as every conversation being like a debate with Scot!

au contrare! scot's BA was not in literature, but rather in martial arts, minor in anthropophagy.

9 hours ago, Datepalm said:

And all others presumably, right? I really have been invited to join both the communist party and a quasi-radical food coop in the past few months as totally serious answers to the questions "where am I supposed to find someone I actually want to date?

maybe join the CP anyway? (and yes, all others, of course!)

Alas, during the last election cycle the CP banded together with the Baathists, who I basically have no opinion of, and the Islamic party, of which I am not a fan. So it's a little pointless to join them ATM, and they're not doing much fieldwork really anyway outside Palestinian cities and maaaaaybe a shred in Tel Aviv. (Of course, the social democrats are doomed and labour is just obnoxious...I think my goal right now is basically to be out of the country for the next election and spare myself. It's been almost exactly a year, so I've got...damn, under 18 months to figure out how to move somewhere. Sigh.)

Please, no more guys who cannot simply, directly, immediately, unequivocally, unreservedly and without adding a digression, clarification, qualification or tragically failed attempt at humor answer the question "are you a robot?"

I won't even require the answer to be a negative, at this point. Just be yourselves, strange intelligences of possibly male shape. Be yourselves.

On 3/24/2016 at 3:33 PM, Tears of Lys said:

I definitely have an inner Tigger too.  I don't know if it comes across in my posts.  I guess I try to suppress Tigger as much as possible, but sometimes he just comes bounding out. 

Yeah, my Tigger doesn't come out as much either.  Maybe it has something to do with getting older?  :( 

Oh, yes.  PLENTY of fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!   But I've been told Tigger can wear people out. 

Oh, well.  We'll just bounce on to something else.  :drunk: 

My personal Tigger gets pretty worn down by parenting sometimes. :/ My department lucked out in that respect - little do they know! Bouncing on. 

On 3/24/2016 at 5:14 PM, Tears of Lys said:

Good God.  That's one thing we don't need is more little Cruzes running around, being obnoxious.  :stillsick:

Quick tangent: in the one clip of a Cruz daughter I've seen, she looked like she loathed him. :( /US politics

23 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Please, no more guys who cannot simply, directly, immediately, unequivocally, unreservedly and without adding a digression, clarification, qualification or tragically failed attempt at humor answer the question "are you a robot?"

I won't even require the answer to be a negative, at this point. Just be yourselves, strange intelligences of possibly male shape. Be yourselves.

Maybe they're alpha versions of the next Microsoft AI to be released on Twitter soon?

Well, Brain Science Guy turned out quite pleasant and not at all entirely a completely repressed awkward basketcase in person, actually. He's a couple years older than me and most of my collection of nerdemics, and almost seems like a kind of hopeful prototype for the whole lot in how you can sort of grow into having decent human relationships without having to become a whole different person. A shining beacon of potential, really, especially since he seems to be quite happily married.

Some people apparently genuinely use OKC to make new friends. IDEK.

1 hour ago, Datepalm said:

Well, Brain Science Guy turned out quite pleasant and not at all entirely a completely repressed awkward basketcase in person, actually. He's a couple years older than me and most of my collection of nerdemics, and almost seems like a kind of hopeful prototype for the whole lot in how you can sort of grow into having decent human relationships without having to become a whole different person. A shining beacon of potential, really, especially since he seems to be quite happily married.

Some people apparently genuinely use OKC to make new friends. IDEK.

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKES!!! I am sorry Dp. :(

mmmm.

Apparently they've been an item for 14 years (by my count, therefore, since like the first day of college) and married three, and this is the first time (3 months) they're actually living together, and he made it sound almost random. Oh, yeah, first time we've worked in the same city. How about that? (And it's Jerusalem, of all places.) My impression is they're both workaholics with no idea - or no desire - of how to integrate their social lives. Kind of intrigued by the whole thing on a story level while wondering if best course if not to stop all contact. After all, for about five minutes there, I did think I was on a date with a married man! I'm inclined to clutch my pearls a touch,

So two weeks ago, after about 8 months of waiting we finally got the go-ahead of scheduling an interview for my SO at the Consulate General of Sweden in Chicago for the residence permit application. That interview is today. SO is currently freaking out in the lobby about not remembering stuff like the dates we've visited each other and like... random facts people know about each other when they're dating and getting denied.

"They are going to eat me alive then deny my application." - SO, 2016.

He's making me nervous too. The best/worst part is that after the interview the only remaining step is getting the answer, and we've no idea when that'll happen. I've read about people who got them the day after. But we know that everything's going way slower due to the refugee crisis. So it's like "Okay, are we getting it in a month or so, or tomorrow?"

And yet people in unusual circumstances do wind uo using them for that. I mean, there are people on tinder looking for friends, OKC seems reasonable by comparison :P

Granted I'm used to that being queer people, where the disclosure of sexuality inherent in a dating site is actually relevant to the friends that you are looking for, but maybe 'Indian academic in Israel' is a hard one to make friends in and he decided to try it.  I mean don't get me wrong, I'm still side eyeing it, but it's possible.

2 hours ago, sologdin said:

try linkedin.  i have a friend who popped "cocksucking" on her husband's profile as a joke skill, and now, despite its speedy deletion, both of them continue to receive solicitations.

I knew Linkedin was good for something...

I've used meetup a bit, had a good time at a few things and made a fair few friendly acquaintances, but not made any real friends out of it. It's a bit of a crapshoot in terms of who shows up. Personally I'd love something like OKC's analytics to help find people you really click with platonically.

Have a BwB meetup tonight (woot!).  Sadly, Mayday is working late and has had a hellish week.  Since we're supposed to call it early, I'm bringing her a wedge salad and whatever else looks nice from dinner.

I tried to quote some of you nerds and failed, so here goes.

DP, your not-date with married guy sounds like a hot mess.  But HILARIOUS.  I'll bet the wife is great.

Aniel, best of luck to you.

Kay, Give Ini ALL THE cactus hugs for me.  I'd wish you luck with your not-date, but I think my efforts would be better spent praying for his immortal soul.

Solo, SEE YOU LATER ALLIGATOR.

My date or not date for Ini's wedding, whether it is a date or not is going to become a date between him and Mercenary Chef. They are going to fall instantly and madly in love. Jason wears primarily vintage Slayer tshirts and loves sports. He is into curling and beer. It'll be like kair and I aren't even there

Archived