If Ned and Robert were super-duper best friends forever why didn't they visit each other in 9 years?

Falcon2908

14 minutes ago, Lord Ravenstark said:

Westeros is huge. Any travel is unbelievable long.

It would take around a month to travel from Kings Landing to Winterfell. I think Robert took that amount of time in the first book.

It may be risky for Robert because of Targaryenys and Ned,... well I dint why he never came down there. He could go with Cat to Riverrun and later to KL with kids (except Robb) because Lysa is there, too. Maybe problem is thatshe was pregnant often so Ned felt his duty to be next to his wife.

I think that Ned was angry about the Targ kids' murder and just wanted to avoid the corruption in KL.. Too bad too.  If he had been more involved maybe he could have prevented the Lannisters from retaining so much power.  

Remember that Ned and Robert parted enemies after the "Dragonspawn" comment.  Only Lyannas death Reunited them.  But that doesn't erase Neds anger.  Time helped.

Neither of them liked each other's seat. I don't doubt they wrote each other, but we see that Bob is uneasy in the North and Ned hates the capital. 

About Ned and Bob's relationship: I don't think they were the best of buddies, really. They were the kind of friends that go along well, but they weren't that deep, so they can cut the physical tie and still be friends. 

The link was Lyanna mostly, and Jon Arryn. So they stop seeing each other for 10 years, meet again and things have changed a little. One's a little fat; the other's still as stubborn as ever. Nothing has changed much.

35 minutes ago, Falcon2908 said:

It would take around a month to travel from Kings Landing to Winterfell. I think Robert took that amount of time in the first book.

More like 2-3 months. The one month reference is a show reference. It takes them a fortnight from the Neck to the Ruby Ford. And it's another forntight from there to KL. It's more than a week to cross the Neck. And it's 9 days from WF to somewhere in the Barrowlands.

Do you visit all your childhood friends every year?

People drift apart. Eddard and Robert lived very far away, both had jobs that required constant attention, overland travel is difficult, and sea travel is risky. 

It's certianly not because Eddard hated Robert: he didn't.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't visit a friend if they ordered the murder of children to secure a political agenda. Ned was too honourable to allow such things and was disgusted when Robert did it.

Robert approved it, he didnt do it. He didnt even give the orders. It would be a problem if they are alive, though. Mad grandfather, very wierd father, Egg became King for less genetical problem. A Great Council could solve the problem and I think Robert could win it, he is a Targaryen after all. But what happened happened and there is nothing he could have done about it but accept Tywins very wierd gift and proof of loyalty. Rmemeber that than he had 3 more Targaryens, Tyrells army, at least 40k strong and parts of Martell army, punishing Tywin could be his biggest mistake and if Robert lost history will be created from winners, just like in Wo5K and Eddards treason, Tywiny can make the story like Ned killed Aerys and children to avenge family and Viserys might believe it.

Yeah, Ned was really angry by what we read of his reaction when cat tells him Robert is coming to Winterfell... let´s not complicate this, even the author says they were ALWAYS (even in the dragonspawn period) BEST FRIENDS...

Ned hates the capital and Robert, despite being a lazy King could not go to the North just because he wants a hug from Ned, he´s the King

I fell out of touch with my best friend for about 10 years because life just pulled us in different directions and after moves and changes of lifestyle we fell out of touch.

Now of-course in Westoros Ned and Robert were separated by hundreds perhaps a few thousand miles, which could take weeks or even months to traverse, and is dangerous, and they had governments to run.

it would take months of travel for each to get to the other's home, and you can't really make a trip like that to spend a few days with your bro, then pack up and head home. you'd have to stay for weeks, and a round trip would probably be six months. so it's not something you can do every year, necessarily. even if it's super far away from cersei

also ned never leaves his castle except when he has to. it is known.

it is a little surprising that in all this time, they never all met to hang out at Jon Arryn's house though

7 hours ago, Falcon2908 said:

The Last time they met each other was during the Greyjoy rebellion. 

\/ this \/

6 hours ago, TimJames said:

Do you visit all your childhood friends every year?

People drift apart. Eddard and Robert lived very far away, both had jobs that required constant attention, overland travel is difficult, and sea travel is risky. 

It's certianly not because Eddard hated Robert: he didn't.

Bingo

Also, Ned is raising the son of lyanna and Rhaegar as his own. SInce bob dreams of killing Rhaegar every night, Ned might get twitchy when bob is around 

Ned and Catelyn were in KL 5 years before AGOT. The references are in the book. I've seen it theorised that Robert was possibly hunting, for a feast for Neds coming and was gone in the woods and missed Ned and then Ned hears of Jorah's poacher dishonour and Ned being Ned leaves immediately.(Jorah's poacher dishonour is also 5 years prior).

So Ned tried to visit his friend 5 years before for a wee holiday possibly but missed Robert. 

Cat saw Lysa though and Ned also saw "the Lannister woman" I think i remember him saying Tommen was still at her teat. I'll dig out quotes if I get time unless anyone else fancies doing the honours.

A Game of Thrones - Catelyn I 

"Where the king goes, the realm follows," she said.
"It will be good to see the children. The youngest was still sucking at the Lannister woman's teat the last time I saw him. He must be, what, five by now?" 
"Prince Tommen is seven," she told him. "The same age as Bran. Please, Ned, guard your tongue. The Lannister woman is our queen, and her pride is said to grow with every passing year."

Also from AGOT. Cat and Lysa.

It had been five years, in truth; five cruel years, for Lysa. They had taken their toll. Her sister was two years the younger, yet she looked older now. Shorter than Catelyn, Lysa had grown thick of body, pale and puffy of face. She had the blue eyes of the Tullys, but hers were pale and watery, never still. Her small mouth had turned petulant. As Catelyn held her, she remembered the slender, high-breasted girl who'd waited beside her that day in the sept at Riverrun. How lovely and full of hope she had been. All that remained of her sister's beauty was the great fall of thick auburn hair that cascaded to her waist.

Here's the Jorah quote. The piece I read on this was extensive and well thought out. I can't remember who wrote it but they theorised that the "long journey west" was from KL. To dispense the Kings justice. I've always thought it would be kinda cool that when Jorah is mentioned by the king, part of Neds annoyance is him thinking, yes Jorah you bastard, I had travelled all the way here to see my mate Robert and you dishonour the North and make me leave before I even see him!!. 

A Game of Thrones - Eddard II 

"Do you remember Ser Jorah Mormont?"
"Would that I might forget him," Ned said bluntly. The Mormonts of Bear Island were an old house, proud and honorable, but their lands were cold and distant and poor. Ser Jorah had tried to swell the family coffers by selling some poachers to a Tyroshi slaver. As the Mormonts were bannermen to the Starks, his crime had dishonored the north. Ned had made the long journey west to Bear Island, only to find when he arrived that Jorah had taken ship beyond the reach of Ice and the king's justice. Five years had passed since then.

Archived