Why Blood Raven is not the Three Eyed Crow

LiveFirstDieLater

12 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

My posts have been censored and I have been chastised for being uncivil...

So I'll just leave this quote here because it seems relevant to this:

A Game of Thrones - Bran IV 

"It was just a lie," he said bitterly, remembering the crow from his dream. "I can't fly. I can't even run."
"Crows are all liars," Old Nan agreed, from the chair where she sat doing her needlework. "I know a story about a crow." 
"I don't want any more stories," Bran snapped, his voice petulant. He had liked Old Nan and her stories once. Before. But it was different now. They left her with him all day now, to watch over him and clean him and keep him from being lonely, but she just made it worse. "I hate your stupid stories."

I once spent 3 days in timeout because I was baited into an argument by the use of slippery personal snipes. I remember the persons involved. 

This has been an interesting thread. Hope it keeps going.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a theory that blood Raven wants to train bran as a greenseer to eventually take over his body while still being able to keep all of his abilities. We know that wargs are capable of taking over other human bodies and maybe he wants bran's body so he can keep surviving. And it does seem strange as to why the three eyed crow is trying to warn bran against the north in the beginning but begins to make his way north anyways. I thought that the 3ec was a previous greenseer who was tricked by blood Raven into coming north and ended up getting killed for it when he found out his plans for his body. The biggest red flag for me was the warning of the bones on spikes of ice in brans falling nightmare.

• 1 year later...

"Do trees dream?" 

"Trees? No . . ."

"They do," Bran said with sudden certainty. "They dream tree dreams. I dream of a tree sometimes. A weirwood, like the one in the godswood. It calls to me. The wolf dreams are better. I smell things, and sometimes I can taste the blood." 
Maester Luwin tugged at his chain where it chafed his neck. "If you would only spend more time with the other children—"

It’s funny because he goes to the tree, who is calling him, and spends time with the “other children”... but again the tree dreams and the wolf dreams are distinct from the three eyed crow dreams.

• 1 month later...

@LiveFirstDieLater

I was reading @redriver's topic about the Stark relationship to Winter, and was struck by his comment that 'a non Stark' says the words 'Winter is coming' to Bran in the coma dream. Perhaps the three eyed crow is not a non-Stark?!  

Another thing I've always found odd is that the three-eyed crow is very at home in the Stark crypts, even ushering the Starks like Bran into the crypts after Ned dies. Why would a 'non-Stark' be so intimately familiar with what Bran has called a quintessentially 'Stark place'?

8 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

@LiveFirstDieLater

I was reading @redriver's topic about the Stark relationship to Winter, and was struck by his comment that 'a non Stark' says the words 'Winter is coming' to Bran in the coma dream. Perhaps the three eyed crow is not a non-Stark?!  

Another thing I've always found odd is that the three-eyed crow is very at home in the Stark crypts, even ushering the Starks like Bran into the crypts after Ned dies. Why would a 'non-Stark' be so intimately familiar with what Bran has called a quintessentially 'Stark place'?

An oldie!

My current fancy is that the Three Eyed Crow is Old Nan.

In some ways it is the most obvious answer...

She is sitting with Bran while he’s in his coma.

She is click click clicking with her needles, and the crow’s voice is “as sharp as swords”.

Her home is Winterfell and she would be welcome in the Stark Crypts, not to mention know their words.

On this night he dreamed of the weirwood. It was looking at him with its deep red eyes, calling to him with its twisted wooden mouth, and from its pale branches the three-eyed crow came flapping, pecking at his face and crying his name in a voice as sharp as swords.

And she’s a wrinkled old thing, like the ghost of high heart:

"If ice can burn," said Jojen in his solemn voice, "then love and hate can mate. Mountain or marsh, it makes no matter. The land is one."

"One," his sister agreed, "but over wrinkled."

The storm centered around Winterfell does seem to spring up in an unnatural way... And while it’s true that there aren’t any Starks left in Winterfell that we know of, Old Nan has supposedly been taken to the Dreadfort as well...

"Look at us, Meera. A crippled boy with a direwolf, a simpleminded giant, and two crannogmen a thousand leagues from the Neck. We will be known. And word will spread. So long as Bran remains dead, he is safe. Alive, he becomes prey for those who want him dead for good and true." Jojen went to the fire to prod the embers with a stick. "Somewhere to the north, the three-eyed crow awaits us. Bran has need of a teacher wiser than me."

The Dreadfort is North of Winterfell, and Old Nan is Bran’s wise teacher...

This also makes a fantastic parallel to Quaith’s relationship to Dany, he mysterious female guide... 

"To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must goback, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

"One," his sister agreed, "but over wrinkled."
The high glens seldom did them the courtesy of running north and south, so often they found themselves going long leagues in the wrong direction, and sometimes they were forced to double back the way they'd come. "If we took the kingsroad we could be at the Wall by now," Bran would remind the Reeds. He wanted to find the three-eyed crow, so he could learn to fly. Half a hundred times he said it if he said it once, until Meera started teasing by saying it along with him.

I’ve also flirted with the idea that the three eyed crow is Mance, and while I’m currently leaning Nan, Mance was in Winterfell also, and then headed north.

I knew Mance Rayder, Jon. He is an oathbreaker, yes . . . but he has eyes to see, and no man has ever dared to name him faintheart

Crows are all liars...

I think that the 3EC is Shiera Seastar, and also she's Quaithe.

Melisandre said that The Wall and Asshai are hinges of the world. So near one of those hinges resides Bloodraven, and his ex-lover Shiera is residing near Asshai's Shadow.

AGOT, Bran III:

“I can’t fly,” Bran said. “I can’t, I can’t…”

How do you know! Have you ever tried!

The voice was high and thin.

Female voices are high and thin.

The crow opened its beak and cawed at him, a shrill scream of fear, and the grey mists shuddered and swirled around him and ripped away like a veil, and he saw that the crow was really a woman, a serving woman with long black hair, and he knew her from somewhere, from Winterfell, yes, that was it, he remembered her now, and then he realized that he was in Winterfell, in a bed high in some chilly tower room, and the black-haired woman dropped a basin of water to shatter on the floor and ran down the steps, shouting, “He’s awake, he’s awake, he’s awake.”

GRRM has wrote it in plain text - the crow is a woman.

The Weirwood in Bran's visions is Bloodraven, so who could be the crow near him? - his half-sister and ex-lover Shiera Seastar. They are parallels to wizard Merlin, and his lovers Nimue and Morgan le Fey.

Coldhands called Bloodraven a wizard. The most famous wizard is Merlin. Merlin's lover Nimue lured him into a trap, and binded him to a tree, or according to different source locked him in a cave. Merlin had a gift of foresign, and knew that it will happen, but he didn't tried to avoid it, because he accepted his fate. One of Merlin's lovers was named Morgan. Mor in Welsh means sea. Shiera is Star of the Sea. Morgan le Fay was Arthur's half-sister, while Shiera is Bloodraven's, Daemon's, and Bittersteel's half-sister. Some sources also connect Morgan with Irish goddess Morrigan, the phantom queen, that is able to turn into a crow, and has a gift of foresign. Quaithe from Asshai is a shadowbinder. Shadows are phantoms.

Quaithe's name translates from French "quai" - "dock". Shiera from Japanese シエラ translates as sierra, or chain of mountains, or ghat, ghaut. Ghat or ghaut is a pier on the river. Dock is a sea pier. Thus Quaithe = Shiera. There's lots of other clues, that connect together Quaithe and Shiera. So I'm 100% sure that it's the same person.

The 3EC is a woman, which was directly written in AGOT. And in Bran's visions the 3EC and the Weirwood/Bloodraven are seen together, and there's connection between them. In Bloodraven's life, there was ever only one woman, that was connected with him, and it was Shiera. Thus the 3EC is Shiera Seastar.

On 3/9/2016 at 3:43 PM, hiemal said:

Interesting and well-reasoned. Kudos.

It happens I agree, but I arrived at that conclusion by a different route- namely that ravens simply aren't crows. They behave very differently, just as from what I've seen of BR in ADwD and Dunk and Egg and the 3EC. Crows can be found most often near people, ravens not as much; crows are very social, ravens not so much; and of course size, aggression and diet.

So- who is the 3EC? As speculated in the OP, Bran himself in one form or another is a good choice as is one of the root-enshrouded CotF in the depths of the cave. I'm not ruling out Quaithe, who has a glass candle.

Two more tinfoil-esque possibilites "center" around that third eye:

What if it is Euron? I can't imagine why or how but his chosen moniker makes it at least worth pondering.

How about Mors Umber? We have one crow stealing an eye and then another just happens to show up with an extra orb. It sounds significant but I'm not sure of what.'

The Mors Umber connection is very interesting.  Mors is the Roman god of death.  Mors and his brother are "blustery men in the winter of their days with beards as white as the bearskin cloaks they wore. A crow had once taken Mors for dead and pecked out his eye, so he wore a chunk of dragonglass in its stead. As Old Nan told the tale, he'd grabbed the crow in his fist and bitten its head off, so they named him Crowfood."  

His brother is Hother, "Hother is old and gaunt with flinty eyes and a long white beard. His face is hard as winter frost. Catelyn Stark considers Hother and his brother Mors to be hoary old brigands"

Their father is named "Hoarfrost" and the Umber sigil is a roaring giant, brown-haired and wearing a skin, with broken silver chains, on flame-red.

The god of death (Mors) is a snow white symbolically dead and resurrected man with dragonglass inserted into him, and may have killed the previous Night King and assumed his position (biting the head off the crow)  He parallels Euron (as well as the Bloodstone Emperor) with the eyepatch, possible dragonglass (black eye shining with malice) or weirwood stone inserted into his eye socket, is a pirate (brigand), and association with crows.   He is a rampaging giant who breaks his chains at Ragnarok. 

His brother is Hother, he represents the Others, hoary, old, gaunt, hard as winter frost.

When the Bloodstone Emperor took power, "it was the Blood Betrayal, as his usurpation is named, that ushered in the age of darkness called the Long Night. Despairing of the evil that had been unleashed on earth, the Maiden-Made-of-Light turned her back upon the world, and the Lion of Night (and his demons) came forth in all his wroth to punish the wickedness of men."

The Kindly Man taught us that the Lion of Night = the Stranger = the god of death.  Euron here is the god of death. 

He showed the world his blood eye now, dark and terrible. Clad head to heel in scale as dark as onyx, he sat upon a mound of blackened skulls as dwarfs capered round his feet and a forest burned behind him…

Then Euron lifted a great horn to his lips and blew, and dragons and krakens and sphinxes came at his command and bowed before him. “Kneel, brother,” the Crow’s Eye commanded…

The Bloodstone Emperor was either allied with the Lion of Night (the god of death) and his demons, or he himself was the Lion of Night.  Because as soon as he took power the sun went dark and they arrived. 

Mors (the God of death) is the brother of hOther, therefore Euron is in league with the Others.

Loki ("the evil crow" the trickster god, the Night's King, future Bran) has three children, the world serpent Jormungandr (Euron), the wolf Fenrir (current Bran), and Hel (Lady Stoneheart).  At Ragnarok Jormundgandr both "poisons the sky" and causes earthquakes that release Loki and Fenrir from their prisons. 

Euron, by blowing the horn he might cause the sky to darken (eclipse) and cause the wall to fall releasing the Night's King and the army of the Undead.  This would parallel Jormungandr and the Bloodstone Emperor.

He was likely visited by the 3EC when he was young.  His third eye is open.  Loki (the Night's King) is his father in a sense.  Loki is the Crow, and Euron is the Crow's Eye, his job was surveillance and traveling the world looking for something--magical artifact?  Jormundgandr encircled the world, Euron sailed around the world.

2 hours ago, Megorova said:

I think that the 3EC is Shiera Seastar, and also she's Quaithe.

Quaithe's name translates from French "quai" - "dock". Shiera from Japanese シエラ translates as sierra, or chain of mountains, or ghat, ghaut. Ghat or ghaut is a pier on the river. Dock is a sea pier. Thus Quaithe = Shiera. There's lots of other clues, that connect together Quaithe and Shiera. So I'm 100% sure that it's the same person.

I know english isn't your native language, but quay is an english word meaning dock or wharf.  And Quaithe sounds like Quays said with a lisp.

Shiera is close enough to sierra that you don't need to go through Japanese to come out with the same word.

But Shiera to sierra to ghatt to dock, is probably too many leaps. Probably just stick with "mountains"

Or better yet, "sidhe" is pronounced "she" and they are fairies from Celtic myth that live underground like CoTF. and "The siabhra (anglicised as "sheevra"), may be a type of these lesser spirits, prone to evil and mischief"

Sea star is a synonym for asteroid or starfish.  References to the "sea" might mean being in the weirwood network, as in greenseeing, a play on sea/see.  And I think the weirwood arrived here via an asteroid.

The weirwood is kind of like a star fish. Starfish aliens is even a tv trope.  And Lovecraft's Elder things (The Old Ones) are starfish like. See also Eldritch Abomination.

Starfish have many arms.  They have eyes on each of their arms. They are predatory.  Most can regenerate damaged parts or lost arms and they can shed arms as a means of defense

Some are covered in venomous thorns, the svefnthorn in Norse myth put people into a deep sleep.

They turn to stone after they die.

And all of the arms radiate from a central body, if you kill that, the arms die.  If you destroy the weirwood at the Isle of Faces, all the weirwoods die.

Shiera Seastar represents the weirwood and the CoTF, both of which are feminine.

Bonus

Nimue + rio = nymeria, Lady of the Lake, and river of time, "a wanderer of pallid countenance"

the infant Lancelot was spirited away to a lake by a water fairy (merfeine in Old High German) and raised in her country of Meidelant ("Land of Maidens", an island in the sea inhabited by ten thousand maidens who live in perpetual happiness); the fairy queen and her paradise island are reminiscent of Geoffrey of Monmouth's Morgen of the Island of Avallon in his Vita Merlini.

[snip]

She refuses to give him her love until he has taught her all his secrets, after which she uses her power to trap him either in the trunk of a tree or beneath a stone, depending on the story and author.

Avalon is the Isle of Faces, where the sacred apples are.  She (the weirwood) steals knowledge from wizards in exchange for her "love"

On 3/12/2016 at 5:24 AM, Clegane'sPup said:

I once spent 3 days in timeout because I was baited into an argument by the use of slippery personal snipes. I remember the persons involved. 

Nerds have penchant for picking fights they cannot win and then crying to someone of authority to respond when they can't 

17 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Nerds have penchant for picking fights they cannot win and then crying to someone of authority to respond when they can't 

Goodness gracious great balls of fire. That was two years ago and I was trying to be emphatic with @LiveFirstDieLater. I don't agree with him. But hey, I like him.

Yeah, I agree some individuals yap and yammer using slippery personal snipes then get their panties, drawers or swim sock in a bunch when their tinfoil doesn't pan out.

That Bran time travel thing was, I lack the words.

1 hour ago, By Odin's Beard said:

I know english isn't your native language, but quay is an english word meaning dock or wharf.  And Quaithe sounds like Quays said with a lisp.

Shiera is close enough to sierra that you don't need to go through Japanese to come out with the same word.

But Shiera to sierra to ghatt to dock, is probably too many leaps. Probably just stick with "mountains"

Or better yet, "sidhe" is pronounced "she" and they are fairies from Celtic myth that live underground like CoTF. and "The siabhra (anglicised as "sheevra"), may be a type of these lesser spirits, prone to evil and mischief"

Sea star is a synonym for asteroid or starfish.  References to the "sea" might mean being in the weirwood network, as in greenseeing, a play on sea/see.  And I think the weirwood arrived here via an asteroid.

The weirwood is kind of like a star fish. Starfish aliens is even a tv trope.  And Lovecraft's Elder things (The Old Ones) are starfish like. See also Eldritch Abomination.

Starfish have many arms.  They have eyes on each of their arms. They are predatory.  Most can regenerate damaged parts or lost arms and they can shed arms as a means of defense

Some are covered in venomous thorns, the svefnthorn in Norse myth put people into a deep sleep.

They turn to stone after they die.

And all of the arms radiate from a central body, if you kill that, the arms die.  If you destroy the weirwood at the Isle of Faces, all the weirwoods die.

Shiera Seastar represents the weirwood and the CoTF, both of which are feminine.

Bonus

Nimue + rio = nymeria, Lady of the Lake, and river of time, "a wanderer of pallid countenance"

Avalon is the Isle of Faces, where the sacred apples are.  She (the weirwood) steals knowledge from wizards in exchange for her "love"

I still lean toward Nan... and have two myths to tie into this as rough parallels (shout out Wikipedia):

The first is the Greek Goddess Nana. Daughter of a river god, she became pregnant when an almond from an almond tree fell on her lap. The almond tree had sprung from the spot where the hermaphroditic Agdistis was castrated, becoming Cybele, the Mother of the Gods, a giant tree. (Old Nan supposedly arrived at Winterfell to nurse a Brandon Stark).

Nana abandoned the baby boy, who was tended by a he-goat. The baby, Attis, grew up to become Cybele's consort and lover. Attis was also a Phrygian god of vegetation, Atys the sun god, slain by the boar's tusk of winter... in his self-mutilation, death, and resurrection he represents the fruits of the earth, which die in winter only to rise again in the spring. 

Attis was promised to a princess (daughter of Midas in some versions, Myrcella?) Just as the marriage-song was being sung, Agdistis/Cybele appeared in her transcendent power, and Attis went mad and cut off his genitals (Bran giving seed/corn to the crow?).

Or if we trade or Phrygian caps for horned helms we could look to the Norse Myth of Baldr.

Baldr (also BalderBaldur) is a Æsir god of light, joy, purity, and the summer sun in Norse mythology, and a son of the god Odin and the goddess Frigg. He is the husband of Nanna, father of Forseti, and He has numerous brothers, such as Thor and Váli. Including both half and adopted brothers...

Among the visions which the Völva sees and describes in the prophecy known as the Völuspá is one of the fatal mistletoe(“fall” in love? It turns out this story is why we kiss beneath the mistletoe during the holidays) , the birth of Váli and the weeping of Frigg (stanzas 31–33).

I believe the role of Vali, who was birthed for the sole purpose of avenging his brother, is filled by Theon, who’s brother’s died in Balon’s rebellion, and who “kills his brothers” Bran and Rickon but also avenges his family by sacking Winterfell. 

One is called Ali or Váli, son of Odin and Rindr: he is daring in fights, and a most fortunate marksman.

Theon is a marksman and his mother Alannys Harlaw, like Rindr, is driven mad.

The weeping of Frigg should be compared to Cat’s sadness and death and resurrection and desire for vengeance. Hlín is charged by Frigg to protect those that Frigg deems worthy of keeping from danger (Brienne)

Spoiler

One story recounts that two sons of king Hrauðungr, Agnar (age 10) and Geirröðr (age 8), once sailed out with a trailing line to catch small fish (very Tully) However, wind drove them out into the ocean and, during the darkness of night, their boat wrecked. The brothers went ashore and there they met a crofter. (The crofter’s wife’s kids provide the body doubles for Bran and Rickon).

Upon the arrival of spring, the old man brought them a ship. The old couple took the boys to the shore, and the old man took Geirröðr aside and spoke to him. The boys entered the boat and a breeze came. (Jojen convinces Bran and co to head north).

The boat returned to the harbor of their father. Geirröðr, forward in the ship, jumped to shore and pushed the boat, containing his brother, out and said "go where an evil spirit may get thee."(North of the Wall)

Away went the ship and Geirröðr walked to a house, where he was greeted with joy; while the boys were gone, their father had died, and now Geirröðr was king. He "became a splendid man".

The scene switches to Odin and Frigg sitting in Hliðskjálf, "look[ing] into all the worlds".[15] Odin says: "'Seest thou Agnar, thy foster-son, where he is getting children a giantess [Old Norse gȳgi] in a cave? while Geirröd, my foster son, is a king residing in his country.' Frigg answered, 'He is so inhospitable that he tortures his guests, if he thinks that too many come.'" (Bran is in a cave and Rickon is supposedly on Skaggos, Island of Cannibals)

Odin replied that this was a great untruth and so the two made a wager. Frigg sent her "waiting-maid" Fulla to warn Geirröðr to be wary, lest a wizard who seeks him should harm him, and that he would know this wizard by the refusal of dogs, no matter how ferocious, to attack the stranger. The stranger is captured and tortured, giving truth to Friggs accusation. Geirröðr’s son gives the wizard (Odin in disguise) a drink and is promised a reward. 

Eventually, Grímnir turns to Geirröth and promises him misfortune, revealing his true identity. Geirröth then realized the magnitude of his mistake. Having learned that he is undone, he rose quickly to pull Odin from the fires, but the sword which he had lain upon his knee slipped and fell hilt down, so that when the king stumbled he impaled himself upon it. Odin then vanished, and Agnarr, son of the dead King Geirröth, ruled in his father's stead.

Of course, Hodor plays Hodr, the blind god who was tricked by Loki into killing his brother with the mistletoe, or in this case, carrying Bran to the crypts and then beyond the wall to a metaphorical Hel (place not person). 

Yet looking far into the future the Völva sees a brighter vision of a new world, when both Höðr and Baldr will come back (stanza 62). The Eddic poem Baldr's Dreams mentions that Baldr has bad dreams which the gods then discuss. 

And I’ll end by quoting the Prose Edda:

The second son of Odin is Baldur, and good things are to be said of him. He is best, and all praise him; he is so fair of feature, and so bright, that light shines from him. A certain herb is so white that it is likened to Baldr's brow

And perhaps it goes without saying but I think Bran will escape Bloodraven’s Lair.

18 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Goodness gracious great balls of fire. That was two years ago and I was trying to be emphatic with @LiveFirstDieLater. I don't agree with him. But hey, I like him.

Yeah, I agree some individuals yap and yammer using slippery personal snipes then get their panties, drawers or swim sock in a bunch when their tinfoil doesn't pan out.

That Bran time travel thing was, I lack the words.

Haha hey shit happens, and while I’m not ruling the time travel thing out comletely I would prefer an alternative explanation which doesn’t need time travel without question... and maybe more importantly it’s ok to argue and disagree and be wrong (lord knows I am enough) without getting mean. But of course do as I say and not as I do...

anyway I like you too, cheers

Why do you think the 3 eyed crow appears to bran as a crow?   Because he self defines as a crow of the nights watch who never really left his post but still perches on lord mormont's ledge.   Kids like cartoons so bran gets the animal mascot version in dreams.   

Because one flits into dreams on dark wings, so that one's beer belly can be left at home and not crush the dreamer or wake them too soon via flubber thonking down onto the precious forehead of our greenseer.   The red eye on Bloodraven is because you don't get to control your appearance when you sign on for the weir makeover.   Also, red for blood.  (Raven)

2 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

There's no need for lisps, because French word quai means dock. And Quaithe's name is written with quai, not quay.

2 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

That's the thing - both words sound similar - French quai and English quay, and Japanese shiera and English sierra. And in all three languages it means the same thing.

Though Japanese shiera could mean not only dock, but also a chain of mountains, or mountain range. And even then there's still a connection to Shiera Seastar, who was a shadowbinder. Phantom queen Morrigan is associated with the banshee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morrígan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee

"Her name is connected to the mythologically important tumuli or "mounds" that dot the Irish countryside". "A tumulus (plural tumuli) is a mound of earth and stones raised over a grave or graves. Tumuli are also known as barrows, burial mounds or kurgans, and may be found throughout much of the world. A cairn, which is a mound of stones built for various purposes, may also originally have been a tumulus. Tumuli are often categorised according to their external apparent shape. In this respect, a long barrow is a long tumulus, usually constructed on top of several burials, such as passage graves."

So Shiera - Morrigan - Banshee - long barrow - is also a chain of mountains, or mountain range, same as Japanese word shiera.

So those words not only sounds similar, but their meanings in different languages, whether it's a dock, or a chain of mountains, still lead to Shiera Seastar being Quaithe, and the 3EC (because Morrigan, who is a banshee, a foreteller of death, is also a crow goddess, and a phantom queen. Phantoms are shadows, illusions, nightmares. And Shiera was a shadowbinder).

3 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

Either of those meanings still lead to Quaithe/Shiera/3EC.

3 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

There's several different writtings of her name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_of_the_Lake

Nimue, Nymue, Nimueh, Viviane, Vivien, Vivienne, Ninianne, Nivian, Nyneve, Evienne.

Ria from Indonesian means happy, merry, joyful.

So Nymue ria means Happy Lady of the Lake. She escaped from Valyrians, found new home for her people, and became happy.

"A Dance with Dragons. Lord Commander Jon Snow re-garrisons Long Barrow with spearwives under the command of Iron Emmett with Dolorous Edd as his chief steward."

Long barrow means banshee. And also it's a chain of graves. So that castle is very fitting for Dolorous Edd, whose nickname means mournful. Mournful steward guarding graves - Grim Reaper. Could be a hint, that all people at that castle will die.

Archived