AMC's ‘The Terror’ (based on the novel by Dan Simmons)

AncalagonTheBlack

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Longer than that. About 12 people have BT TV in the UK and all of them are for the football.

This was an astonishingly bad decision by AMC. I hope it ends up on Amazon TV after a few months (like the arrangement they have for Fear the Walking Dead).

I'm sure those 12 passionate football fans go hand in hand with an interest in "the terror".

I forgot that Amazon tends to get the sky/BT shows eventually. Netflix tends to get the BBC shows unless Amazon have helped fund it (like with ripper street).

I'm totally hooked. I binged watched the first 2 episodes last night and today and was stunned at the end of ep. 3. I found ep. 1-2 to be a bit slow but necessary to provide backstory and world ship build. I appreciated that they provided info on the capabilities of the ships and the amount of supplies they have. 

I'm probably going to give in and pay the $5 so I can watch the rest of the season because I'm dying to know what the monster is. I suspect lycanthropy. 

21 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I'm totally hooked. I binged watched the first 2 episodes last night and today and was stunned at the end of ep. 3. I found ep. 1-2 to be a bit slow but necessary to provide backstory and world ship build. I appreciated that they provided info on the capabilities of the ships and the amount of supplies they have. 

I'm probably going to give in and pay the $5 so I can watch the rest of the season because I'm dying to know what the monster is. I suspect lycanthropy. 

Not sure if they're still available but for a while Amazon had episodes four and five up for sale by mistake. 

31 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Not sure if they're still available but for a while Amazon had episodes four and five up for sale by mistake. 

My cable provider (Comcast) has the entire season available if you purchase a subscription of AMC Premiere for 4.99. I just watched ep. 4 and am about to watch ep. 5.

12 minutes ago, Trebla said:

My cable provider (Comcast) has the entire season available if you purchase a subscription of AMC Premiere for 4.99. I just watched ep. 4 and am about to watch ep. 5.

This is the first time I've ever been jealous of people who have Comcast. 

16 hours ago, Trebla said:

If they strictly follow source material, you will never know for sure I'm afraid, at least that's what I remember from the book.

The last episodes haven't even been ripped yet which I've never heard of happening to a reasonably-popular tv show, which tells you how few people must have that special service where all 10 are available. I'd gladly pay the $30 or whatever it will end up being if I could download them all.

Anyway, this has been my favourite show to watch in quite a while. I remember the rough story but not enough for each episode not to have some surprises in it. 

Can't wait for them to abandon the ships and head south.

Hickey would've been a good Littlefinger, such a sketchy looking guy. 

5 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

If they strictly follow source material, you will never know for sure I'm afraid, at least that's what I remember from the book.

The book actually does explain what it is. 

Those last few episodes were really sad. I had forgotten moments like Jopson thinking that Crozier was leaving without him or Bridgens wandering off to die after losing his lover. 

Also Hickey's murder of Lt. Irving has to be the most disturbing murder scene I can remember watching. That music was eery.

I am up to episode 8 right now and there is something I'd like some more background on. I hope those amongst you who have read the book might help me understand the actions of one character

Spoiler

I wonder why the doctor tried to kill everyone in the tent and himself. Was he generally acting irrationally due to the lead poisoning or was there something else going on?

4 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I am up to episode 8 right now and there is something I'd like some more background on. I hope those amongst you who have read the book might help me understand the actions of one character

Hide contents

I wonder why the doctor tried to kill everyone in the tent and himself. Was he generally acting irrationally due to the lead poisoning or was there something else going on?

It doesn't happen that way in the book.

The terror attacks and someone knocks over a torch or something in the chaos and that starts the fire. But yeah the only explanation for his actions is the lead poisoning. I thought it was an odd change. But maybe they wanted to highlight the non-monster dangers they were facing rather than have another monster attack.

22 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It doesn't happen that way in the book.

Reveal hidden contents

The terror attacks and someone knocks over a torch or something in the chaos and that starts the fire. But yeah the only explanation for his actions is the lead poisoning. I thought it was an odd change. But maybe they wanted to highlight the non-monster dangers they were facing rather than have another monster attack.

Oh, that's a bit disappointing. I think they could have set that up better than, because 

Spoiler

I do think it's potentially way more interesting than just fire breaking out after a Tuunbaq attack. The fact that the series goes out of its way to highlight the non-monster related dangers is part of the reason why I liked it so much. The supernatural monster was pretty much the least of their problems after all. 

I just finished the first season. Colour me impressed. It was a very inriguing story and I like how it didn't really explain everything at the end of the series. I'm left wondering for instance

Spoiler

What happened to Mr. Blankey? And why on earth did he need those forks?

What killed Tunbaq in the end? The soul of Mr. Hickey? A combination of injuries sustained in earlier attacks, paired with lead poisoning from eating the sailors? The poison ingested by eating the men who had eaten Goodsir? Captain choking him with the chain? Everything together? 

Why did that one lieutenant have all that bling attached to his face?

25 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I just finished the first season. Colour me impressed. It was a very inriguing story and I like how it didn't really explain everything at the end of the series. I'm left wondering for instance

Hide contents

What happened to Mr. Blankey? And why on earth did he need those forks?

What killed Tunbaq in the end? The soul of Mr. Hickey? A combination of injuries sustained in earlier attacks, paired with lead poisoning from eating the sailors? The poison ingested by eating the men who had eaten Goodsir? Captain choking him with the chain? Everything together? 

Why did that oene lieutenant have all that bling attached to his face?

Blankey was killed and presumably had his soul sucked out after finding the northwest passage they'd been searching for. I'm pretty sure the forks thing was not in the book, he just realizes he's not gonna make it and is slowing everyone down and hangs back to have one last smoke and meet the creature (who he's escaped from twice at that point, I think they cut his second encounter with it out of the show) I assume the idea was the creature would swallow some forks and suffer internal damage

Tuunbaq survives in the book (and Crozier has his tongue bit off by it to join Lady Silence as one of his shamans.)  but I believe there is some suggestion that eating all those wicked dirty englishmen was making it ill. With the show you can either assume that, (and Hickey's evilness was just the last straw.) or that it was poisoned by eating all the lead poisoned men / the poisoned men at the end.  It seemed like Crozier did choke him but if it wasn't already on its last legs he would have just torn him apart. 

I have no idea what was up with the chains on that guy's face. He also said something like "close..." didn't he? So I thought maybe some deranged people who did that to him were gonna pop out but nope. I think the best answer is again the lead poisoning. He may have even done it to himself for all we know.

If you really liked the show you may consider reading the book. They didn't change much but they did omit a few bits. For example I was disappointed they didn't cover the end of the book when Crozier and Silence discover Terror a few years later in a totally different spot, suggesting that someone did make it back and sailed the ship south a ways. So if they had just stayed on Terror they would have been better off. 

Archived