AMC's ‘The Terror’ (based on the novel by Dan Simmons)

AncalagonTheBlack

AMC has greenlighted The Terror, an anthology drama series based on the 2007 bestselling novel by Dan Simmons. Scott Free, Alexandra Milchan’s Emjag Productions, Entertainment 360 and AMC Studios are producing the 10-episode straight-to-series drama for a 2017 premiere.

Written by feature writer David Kajganich (True Story), the series is set in 1847, when a Royal Naval expedition crew searching for the Northwest Passage is attacked by a mysterious predator that stalks the ships and their crews in a suspenseful and desperate game of survival. It is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin’s lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror. Soo Hugh (The Whispers) has joined the series as co-showrunner alongside Kajganich.

“Dan’s novel is that rare combination of fascinating actual history, ground-breaking genre storytelling, and the complex character work of literature,” Kajganich said. Added Hugh, “As a long-time fan of Dan Simmons, the opportunity to join this project is a dream come true.”

Executive producers for the series are Ridley Scott and David W. Zucker of Scott Free, Alexandra Milchan (The Wolf of Wall Street) and Scott Lambert (Paranoia), principals at Emjag Productions, and Guymon Casady (Game of Thrones) of Entertainment 360, the content arm of Management 360.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/the-terror-anthology-series-scott-free-1201712908/

Yeah, saw this earlier. Great news. I feckin' love that book.

From the same Deadline article:

“We’ve been focused on developing this incredible story for television with these great partners for a couple of years, and we think it provides rich dTerror1ramatic material but also an opportunity to explore the anthology format, which is something we’re extremely interested in and offers some unique possibilities,” said Joel Stillerman, president of original programming and development for AMC and SundanceTV.

I wish they'd said more about the anthology concept. Are they planning to adapt more of Simmons work, or ... what exactly?

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I wish they'd said more about the anthology concept. Are they planning to adapt more of Simmons work, or ... what exactly?

Yeah, curious as to how exactly this will be an anthology.  Seems like it should just be a miniseries.

Awesome book, though.

• 6 months later...

Tobias Menzies To Star In AMC Anthology

The Outlander co-star Tobias Menzies is set as a lead in The Terror, AMC’s anthology drama series based on the bestselling 2007 novel by Dan Simmons. Scott Free, Alexandra Milchan’s Emjag Productions, Entertainment 360 and AMC Studios are producing the 10-episode straight-to-series drama set to premiere in 2017.

FUCK YEAH.

I just did a literal double gasp there seeing that this and The Book of Strange New Things are both being adapted for TV. 

The Terror combines lots of features which fascinate me - the sea, an icy landscape, exploration and the age of discovery, survival, a supernatural element... I really loved the book. So I am super SUPER excited for this. :)

27 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Can't we give our time and adaptations to books that aren't written by people whose attitudes towards Islam have in the past made Trump look tolerant?

I haven't read the book in question but does the Terror, in of itself, have any anti-islamic preaching in it? If it doesn't then I have no problem with it being made and letting people decide on whether they want to watch it or not. And not having a problem with what people decide.

On 03/03/2016 at 0:51 AM, briantw said:

Yeah, curious as to how exactly this will be an anthology.  Seems like it should just be a miniseries.

Awesome book, though.

I took it as meaning the next season wouldn't be based on "the terror" or at least the story by Simmons. So the next season could be a new story spinning out from "the terror" or the next season is simply another Dan Simmons adaptation or (more likely) a period piece drama with a "supernatural" element. Although looking at some of Simmons' other works there are a few that could work as anthology season long shows. I guess "the abominable" and "the Drood" could work as potential follow ups in terms of style.

9 minutes ago, red snow said:

I haven't read the book in question but does the Terror, in of itself, have any anti-islamic preaching in it? If it doesn't then I have no problem with it being made and letting people decide on whether they want to watch it or not. And not having a problem with what people decide.

I don't recall that it does. The setting of the story is the discovery of the North West passage. The explorers interact with some native Inuit people at some point and you'll probably find some less than favourable attitudes of the times there...but that's a very minor element overall in the book. 

You should read it though.

4 minutes ago, Isis said:

I don't recall that it does. The setting of the story is the discovery of the North West passage. The explorers interact with some native Inuit people at some point and you'll probably find some less than favourable attitudes of the times there...but that's a very minor element overall in the book. 

You should read it though.

Sounds good. I was at a pretty cool musuem in Oslo about the North West passage with an entire ship to walk around. That and the polar bear model they had there had me thinking a story about it would be entertaining.

Yeah, I don't think this book itself has any anti-Islam stuff - I think it's only Flashback that does out of his books. But while I'm all for not allowing my opinion of the author to interfere with the art, there's a line in the sand and advocating mass-murder- which is what he did in his 'Time Traveller' essay/story- is way, way over it.

21 hours ago, red snow said:

Although looking at some of Simmons' other works there are a few that could work as anthology season long shows. I guess "the abominable" and "the Drood" could work as potential follow ups in terms of style.

...and perhaps Song of Kali. 

21 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, I don't think this book itself has any anti-Islam stuff - I think it's only Flashback that does out of his books. But while I'm all for not allowing my opinion of the author to interfere with the art, there's a line in the sand and advocating mass-murder- which is what he did in his 'Time Traveller' essay/story- is way, way over it.

I'll have to try and find that. It definitely becomes more questionable if the author uses their money (from selling books/tv rights) to spread hate.

On 11/09/2016 at 1:09 PM, polishgenius said:

Available here.

And the follow-up.

Thanks for the links

I hope he'd been drinking some of the scotch that's mentioned several times in that first piece. Not his finest work or thoughts. He's definitely a fearful man if that's representative. Only managed some of the follow-up (it's a bit of a slog) and he's sort of hovering over the hole he dug himself so far.

Holy shit. They've only gone and found it.

The long-lost ship of British polar explorer Sir John Franklin, HMS Terror, has been found in pristine condition at the bottom of an Arctic bay, researchers have said, in a discovery that challenges the accepted history behind one of polar exploration’s deepest mysteries.

2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

For something coming out in 2017, they seem to have cast Tobias Menzies fairly early... it says a lot about him as an actor if they want to wrap him up this early in the process....

It's already September of 2016.  I don't see how that's even remotely early for a show coming out in 2017.

On 9/11/2016 at 4:56 AM, Spockydog said:
On 9/10/2016 at 7:07 AM, red snow said:

Although looking at some of Simmons' other works there are a few that could work as anthology season long shows. I guess "the abominable" and "the Drood" could work as potential follow ups in terms of style.

...and perhaps Song of Kali. 

I haven't read them, because of the bad reviews they received here, but I think I remember reading in those reviews here that Illium and Olympus have a pretty heavy anti-Muslim sentiment.

Archived