DL: The Autumn Whatever

peterbound

Holy shit.  This is as bad as I thought it was going to be.  

Can I skip the book, does it get better as the series progresses?  I'm trying to muscle through it, but keep hating myself for not starting Daniel's new book.  

I'll give a better review when I'm done, but at this rate, it's going to be a while. 

Shockingly, this one slipped under my radar.

I did read the death gates books by them, but only because the first one came as an extra with the computer game for it.

And the dark sword books, those were really bad, but never the dd books. I think I hated tie ins even back then.

9 hours ago, peterbound said:

Holy shit.  This is as bad as I thought it was going to be. 

Which book are you referring to? Still the first Dragonlance? It reads like an RPG script and it does not get much better. Regardless of this weakness I did like the characters and the story in general back then.

The second "Twins" trilogy is much better in almost every respect, I seem to recall.

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Weirdly enough, the first trilogy isn't even technically a tie in by the normal standards, but I don't have the patience to type all that out on my phone.

Yeah, didn't the original Dragonlance trilogy kickstart the whole brand? There wasn't any such thing as "Dragonlance" before the original trilogy, was there?

That's my understanding as well. But it was based on actual role-playing sessions before the books were written, wasn't it? There are also several gaps in the first trilogy, I seem to recall.

Peterbound is too old and jaded for this gem... :D It's poorly written but it has some memorable characters and scenes and the plot is not bad.

6 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Yeah, didn't the original Dragonlance trilogy kickstart the whole brand? There wasn't any such thing as "Dragonlance" before the original trilogy, was there?

I'm not sure about the chronology of what got published first, but I got the impression the RPG and the novels were developed simultaneously - Hickman was in charge of designing the RPG and only ended up co-writing the novel after the original author got fired.

7 hours ago, Jo498 said:

That's my understanding as well. But it was based on actual role-playing sessions before the books were written, wasn't it? There are also several gaps in the first trilogy, I seem to recall.

Peterbound is too old and jaded for this gem... :D It's poorly written but it has some memorable characters and scenes and the plot is not bad.

Well yes but if you use that logic then Bakker, Erikson, Jordon, and dozens of others are all tie ins. :P

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well yes but if you use that logic then Bakker, Erikson, Jordon, and dozens of others are all tie ins. :P

and a shit ton others.  

However, Dragonlance does take place in the DD world, right?  Same rule set and the such.  Tie in enough for me.  I could be wrong, but it's a tie in in my mind now, so there's no separating it. 

What gets me is when they have tie ins base don games based on books based on games. Based on other games. 40k and D&D have had a few of those. Or it like how the street fighter movie had its own game. I mean WTF people I have a hard enough time trying to rmemeber all my passwords stop confusing me.

I did a reread of book one along with Tor.com on my blog. It doesn't hold up as well as I'd hope, BUT there's some stuff there that you can see what they were trying to do with the story. It was the first of it's kind and you could see where they were struggling how to balance the RPG/storytelling elements. I started doing WINTER'S NIGHT too but stopped somewhere along the way with intents of getting back into it. 

Archived