If Robb didn't have to marry a Frey, who do you think he'd have married?

James Steller

According to Wiki, Dacey is between 6 and 30 years older than Robb. Maege has four or five other younger daughters, one of whom might have suited. 

I don't believe it would have been a good idea for Robb to search too far south for a bride. The North can be a miserable place for a marriage if you don't have a strong enough bride to adapt, as Jorah learned so bitterly. Cat worked out for Ned because she was cut from a whole different cloth than Lynesse. 

Whether Jeyne even could have stood a life of summer snows would have remained to be seen, if they had lived to find out. 

2 hours ago, LadyoftheNorth72 said:

Whether Jeyne even could have stood a life of summer snows would have remained to be seen, if they had lived to find out. 

I think Jeyne would have done well in the North. After all she grew up in a castle that's more of a ruin than well maintained from what we're told, and they've lost the best parts of their income centuries ago (so she's grown up on a constrained budget and little luxury up until this point). It sounds like Jeyne would've been used to shifting for herself more frequently and doing things that a young lady of the house probably wouldn't normally do. Those types of people usually would adapt well to a "harsher" condition change like her living in the North would have been.

If he didn't marry a northerner the options are pretty limited. Margaery would probably be saved for another southerner, Asha would fucking bolt the moment she heard she as expected to marry someone a fair bit younger who lives in the largest piece of land in Westeros. No boats, no adventures, no way.

And Arianne is in Dorne, so that's kinda silly.

10 hours ago, The Kind Of Kindly Man said:

Would it not make more sense to look to another house as Sansa is already betrothed to Joffrey, when Ned is made hand?  

Ye mate I said that first. The Myrcella option I put last as I personally think it was the least appealing myself. The only way I think it could be possible is if it never comes out that they are Jaimes bastards and, Robert requests it to bind their houses even further. 

Robb is entirely different from Sansa though and I think he would have been against it and I also think Ned would have listened to him to, so therefore Robb would marry somebody else.

5 hours ago, WhitewolfStark said:

I think Jeyne would have done well in the North. After all she grew up in a castle that's more of a ruin than well maintained from what we're told, and they've lost the best parts of their income centuries ago (so she's grown up on a constrained budget and little luxury up until this point). It sounds like Jeyne would've been used to shifting for herself more frequently and doing things that a young lady of the house probably wouldn't normally do. Those types of people usually would adapt well to a "harsher" condition change like her living in the North would have been.

I don't disagree with this, both for the reasons you stated, and because I think Jeyne was far more like Cat than Lynesse in terms of how she would have viewed her role in life. Even when the bloom fell off the early, dizzy part of love with Robb, she seemed like she was raised to duty, not to entitlement like Lynesse. 

My concern would have been more for her withstanding the rigors of life in the north healthwise, especially when she'd be the one dealing with childbirth, but obviously thousands (millions?) of other women have managed it over the millennia. 

Wylla would be by far the best choice, but for example Bethany Blackwood once she grows up or some other girl from Riverlands or Vale might not be so bad. And if she was believed to be a Baratheon Myrcella would be also a great catch.

13 minutes ago, Kaibaman said:

Except she's on the other side of the planet.

She won't always be, and it would have made a very good political alliance if he wanted to rule, but he wasn't much of a pragmatist or big picture thinker. He went with his heart, welched on his marriage to a member of House Trailer park and pointlessly died.

4 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

She won't always be, and it would have made a very good political alliance if he wanted to rule, but he wasn't much of a pragmatist or big picture thinker. He went with his heart, welched on his marriage to a member of House Trailer park and pointlessly died.

Well throughout Robb's time in the book I'm sure practically everyone in Westeros including Robb thought Dany was dead.

1 minute ago, Kaibaman said:

Well throughout Robb's time in the book I'm sure practically everyone in Westeros including thought Dany was dead.

I'd say he could well have known her and Viserys had lived, as Ned would have known they had escaped, wether it ever came up in conversation on those balmy summer nights walking through Winterfell though, who knows.

Just now, Lord Sidious said:

I'd say he could well have known her and Viserys had lived, as Ned would have known they had escaped, wether it ever came up in conversation on those balmy summer nights walking through Winterfell though, who knows.

Well I'm not too certain if Ned relayed this information to his family for whatever reason. Besides by the time Robb declared himself King in the North Dany was treading through the Red Waste with a handful of followers. I doubt many imagined she would make it out ok from that.

1 minute ago, Lord Sidious said:

True, he never lived long enough to have heard about her fire breathing children, which in reality is her only real assetarrow-10x10.png, unless you have a thing for blondes I suppose.

Well if Robb was really ambitious and wanted the Iron Throne then sure I guess Dany would have been the ideal choice to becoming the undisputed ruler of Westeros. But Robb wasn't reaching beyond making the North its own sovereign kingdom.

On 4 Μαρτίου 2016 at 3:00 PM, Kaibaman said:

Well if Robb had given in to the pressures of one of the Northern bannermen who mustered at Winterfell, I think the most likely candidates would have been either Dacey Mormont, Alys Karstark and Wylla Manderly.

Totally agree.I believe the most likely was a Manderly girl as this house is one of the richest in the north.

The safest option would be a northen girl, daughter of a loyal bannerman.

But the possibilities for the heir of Winterfell are infinite: he could have looked for an alliance with a southern region, the riverlands or the vale amongst the others. But it all depends on the political strategy the Starks would have chosen, had not been fought the war of the 5 kings.

2 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

So if he was alive he should had wait until DotD2.0 to marry? That doesn't sound very possible.

Archived