If Robb didn't have to marry a Frey, who do you think he'd have married?

James Steller

Personally, I think it would have been Dacey Mormont. She's pretty much his Brienne already; a very capable warrior who serves as his bodyguard and is devoted to him. She and Robb would have made a great couple. Plus their kids would have been Stark wolves with the size and strength of Mormont bears, ha ha.

Though I'm not sure if the daughter of one of his own bannermen would be seen as a good match for Robb, even if she's technically the heir to House Mormont.

If he didn't have to marry a frey then I take it Walder would have just let him pass and gave him swords without expecting a favour in return. 

Which probably means Robb would have still stormed the Crag, got injured, slept with Jeyne , and took her to wife no? 

9 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

If he didn't have to marry a frey then I take it Walder would have just let him pass and gave him swords without expecting a favour in return. 

Which probably means Robb would have still stormed the Crag, got injured, slept with Jeyne , and took her to wife no? 

Well, there's no way Robb would have been able to cross the Twins' bridge if he didn't promise something huge in return.

So if you like, you can answer the question for two scenarios. Assume that Robb managed to negotiate his way over the bridge without having to marry a Frey girl, and/or assume the War of the Five Kings didn't happen.

12 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Well, there's no way Robb would have been able to cross the Twins' bridge if he didn't promise something huge in return.

So if you like, you can answer the question for two scenarios. Assume that Robb managed to negotiate his way over the bridge without having to marry a Frey girl, and/or assume the War of the Five Kings didn't happen.

If the War never happened Robb wouldn't need to cross the twins so he wouldn't even need to go south. 

So if it's a scenario where Robb is destined to be Lord of WF in relative peace times I'd assume a northern bride would make sense. 

Unless Robb travels a bit and a match is made with a southern bride. Possibly a vale girl? 

Or even if Ned is still made hand and Robb is betrothed to a girl from a highborn house at court, or even Myrcella when she gets older. 

But all this wouldn't make an exciting book I suppose as opposed to the grief and death and deceit George served us up. 

I agree that Dacey Mormont was meant as a Brienne-lite character.

When it comes to Robb, if we assume he will be Lord of Winterfell, then who knows who he marries. It's not really up to him if Ned is still alive and arranging marriages for his kids.

But assuming Ned still dies before Robb gets engaged, and he had complete say over who he wanted, then I suppose he'd pick a Northern girl. One of the Mormonts, most likely, but there's also Wynafrid Manderly or one of Umber's daughters.

1 hour ago, King Floki of the Ironborn said:

I agree that Dacey Mormont was meant as a Brienne-lite character.

When it comes to Robb, if we assume he will be Lord of Winterfell, then who knows who he marries. It's not really up to him if Ned is still alive and arranging marriages for his kids.

But assuming Ned still dies before Robb gets engaged, and he had complete say over who he wanted, then I suppose he'd pick a Northern girl. One of the Mormonts, most likely, but there's also Wynafrid Manderly or one of Umber's daughters.

Well if Robb had given in to the pressures of one of the Northern bannermen who mustered at Winterfell, I think the most likely candidates would have been either Dacey Mormont, Alys Karstark and Wylla Manderly.

Robb didn´t have southern ambitions. As others above have said, he would marry into one of his bannermens family. Marrying into the Karstarks seems unnecessary without the execiton of Lord Rickard as they´re already kin. The Mormonts aren´t actually that powerful, they have no vassals of their own and forging an alliance with another family seems prerferable.

Manderly or Umber are the most likely candidates, but Meera Reed could also be an option.

8 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Or even if Ned is still made hand and Robb is betrothed to a girl from a highborn house at court, or even Myrcella when she gets older. 

Would it not make more sense to look to another house as Sansa is already betrothed to Joffrey, when Ned is made hand?  

59 minutes ago, TheSnowInWinterfell said:

Jeyne Westerling......duh.... LOL

No really, unless you're asking who he would have married if the story we are reading never happened.. In that case, probably a Glover or a Manderly or maybe even Alys Karstark

Except Alys was already engaged to Daryn Hornwood

Jeyne Westerling......duh.... LOL

No really, unless you're asking who he would have married if the story we are reading never happened.. In that case, probably a Glover or a Manderly or maybe even Alys Karstark

Except Alys was already engaged to Daryn Hornwood

True. No Alys then.

Wylla Manderly would be the most sensible choice. Wynafryd has been raised to be heiress to White Harbor, so I doubt the Manderlys would want to marry her off to someone who was a lord in his own right, especially when they have Wylla available for such purposes. Dacey Mormont is too old (her younger sister is around Asha's age, Asha being at least 7 years older than Robb) and the Mormonts are probably too poor and unimportant for a political marriage anyway. The Greatjon's daughters would also be worth considering. 

I've always assumed one of the Manderly girls was the most likely candidate.  They're both similar to Robb's age, there's no hint of either being betrothed before the Frey mess began (although it could be that a suitor died opening the way for a new match a la Daryn Hornwood) and the Manderlys are definitely a powerhouse in the North.

I know Wynafryd is heir presumptive, but I'm sure they would have found a way to make it work if it meant marriage to the future Lord Stark.

Best way to tie Theon and Robb as brothers without having to marry off Sansa. Have Theon marry Wynafred, give him some land like Sea Dragon Point. Have Robb marry Wylla Manderly. Manderlys are the richest house in the North and loyal bannerman. Theon becomes a loyal bannerman as well. Hell the North could even start building a real fleet.

Also I know some people said Wynafred was being raised as heiress, but if there was no need for Robb to go South for WOTFK, Wylis is the true heir and his wife loves him. Very much. No reason to believe they wouldn't continue trying for a son if he was away at war.

Archived